Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with this round? I know the muzzle velocity is a little less than the LE but what about the recoil of it? Is it any less than the LE? I would get a box and try them but at $48 a box I would like to get some opinions before I try them. I was thinking about white tail and black bear and hogs.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I just thought that being a bonded bullet might make them a little tougher for bear and hog. Do you know what test barrel length they are using to get that 1850 fps muzzle velocity? I know the Hornady gets its 2050 MV from a 24" barrel. I figure that gives me about 1850 from my 18.5" SBL barrel so maybe I will be able to get at least 1600 MV from the fusion and at the range of under 100 yards, which are all my shots where I hunt, and that will give me a pretty good round for bear and hogs.

Think I will get some and give them a try.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is the Sierra bonded bullet.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
rhendrix the 300 being bonded would make it a better bullet I like the 350 hornady better than the 325 LE. the 350 has a larger dia. more weight retention. I also shot a 300gr. bullet not pictured. It has a little less dia than the 350 and the base is only slightly below the mushroom...kinda like a diskus ;D

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi Mate,
I tried them when I had run out of ammo one time and bought a pack. They turned out to be an excellent pig round. You can use them with confidence on small to medium size game.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Federal uses the speer 300 grain bullet in their cartridge. They list it as a hot-cor bullet on the box but the speer rep told me it was a uni-core technology bullet which is "a very similar technology" to the hot-cor bonding process. It is a tough bullet designed to withstand the velocities generated by .458 win mag cartridges but will give reliable expansion with an impact velocity on game as low as 1,300 fps.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
me said:
rhendrix the 300 being bonded would make it a better bullet I like the 350 hornady better than the 325 LE. the 350 has a larger dia. more weight retention. I also shot a 300gr. bullet not pictured. It has a little less dia than the 350 and the base is only slightly below the mushroom...kinda like a diskus ;D
When you say one has a larger diameter than another, are you referring to the diameter of the mushroom after it expands because I thought all .458 bullets were the same diameter?

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Yep talking expansion :) 300 gr. speer @.718 , 325Le @ .640 and 350 Horn @ .805 dia.

recovered weight from milk jug test is 300=186.5 an 325 Le=264 and 350=335gr.

I had bought the 300gr. and they would no doubt kill something but in conversations here someone said 350 was much more bullet for bear and moose. after shooting the 350 I would agree. but I'm not twisting your arm :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree, from your data, the 350 appears to be a much better bullet but I don't reload yet. What manufacturer loads a good 350 like the bullet you are talking about?

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
don't know for sure rhendrix :) I see hornady uses them in 450 ammo. might check some of the big supply company's like midway, cabela, discount bullets.

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Federal uses their "Fusion" bullet in all their Fusion loads, including this one. It's a proprietary bullet with the jacket fused to the lead core to prevent seperation. I believe the Hornady 350gr JFN (used in the .450 Marlin load by Hornady) may be loaded by Buffalo Bore. This load pretty much matches the Hornady 350gr factory load @ 2100 FPS for the .450, so it's pretty stout.

HSM Ammo loads several good loads for the 45-70 at decent prices. They have both a 350gr bonded core load and another load using the very fine Swift A-Frame bullet at about $45 along with a Swift A-Frame 400gr for about the same price. Both the 350s are rated over 2,000FPS and the 400gr @ over 2,000FPS as well :eek: They also have a Speer 400gr JFN @ 1800 FPS at only $25/box. I'd figure this load to be powerful enough for all but the biggest critters.

I've shot the Bitterroot Valley 400gr JFN @ 1900 FPS in my 1895 and it shoots very well too, especially for the low price they carry at Cheaper than Dirt ~ $25/box.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Buffalo Bore's 350 grain cartridge uses the speer bullet. It is a compressed load which keeps the bullets in the magazine from being recessed into their brass cases during recoil. This is necessary because the bullet is too long for the 45-70 action if it is crimped where designed - as speer designed this bullet for the .458 win mag.Tim Sundles has stated on the Alaskan Forum that his tests concluded the hornady 350 grain bullet was too soft for his purposes in his 45-70 350 grain penetration round designed to take the biggest bears.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts