Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some range work yesterday with the Federal 30 grain HP, 22WMR rounds I mentioned in an earlier post. I have found a really good compromise range for sight-in. I sight in about .5 inches high at 50 yards and that drops 3.5 inches at 150. They seem to be dead on at 110+ yards and only .8 inches high at 100. I chronographed 20 rounds and got an average speed of 2342 ft/sec which is a little slower than the CCI "TNT" round at 2356 ft/sec, but it shoots so much better in my CZ and Marlins that the few fps aren't an issue.

At 150 yards they hit with a lot less energy than my (favorite) 40 grain FMJ's but for small vermin critters they seem to have enough energy to get the job done. At 100 yards the remain quite explosive if they meet some body resistance. Too boot? they are only $6.00 a box a the local store and he has a good supply if them. Works for me! ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS: Used these rounds on a 4th of July varmint hunt. Ground squirrels were killed handily but I also hit two rabbits between 50 and 70 yards with this round. The fifty yard hit was the most violent thing I've ever seen a rimfire produce. A brisket hit on a broadside mature bunny caused him to explode. The entire off side was gone as well as all the entrails. Parts were scattered within a three-foot radius of the carcass. I've been shooting a long time and I've never seen a 22WMR do that. I wonder if the CCI / Speer "TNT" 30 grain is as violent? Anybody have any experience with them? I tried them for accuracy and they were pretty poor in my CZ so I didn't field test them. I'd like to hear if you have any performance accounts to relate. ~Andrew

(The 70 yard hit was not as violent but still impressive in it's ability to turn the rabbit inside-out.~A.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts