Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that Wal-Mart has started carrying the Federal Power Shok Ammo for 11.97/box. Has anyone used this? If so please let me know the accuracy results. Also, I picked up a new 30-30W while I was there. Does anyone have any opinions of the new Marlins, pro or con, which are now made under the Remington ownership? I noticed that the stock is now Birch instead of Walnut.

·
Registered
71 Posts
336W comes with Birch. Those rounds grouped very well in my 336SS. About 1.5" @ 100 with XS sights. I now have about 17 boxes of said ammo.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I noticed the Fed. ammo at my local WM was also eleven something a box, and the Rem corlokt's were about 4 or 5 dollars more. If I didn't reload, I'd probably be trying a box out.
That's a real good price.

Hope the 336W you bought is a good one. I don't have any experience with the Remington made Marlins, but there are many on this forum that have.... the cons will outweigh the pros.

·
Registered
125 Posts
+1 to the 1.5" shots at 100, I like to use them when I want to shoot for cheap, never really had any problems with them at all. I still stick with the core lokt for hunting. From what I read about the new Marlins is that they are hit and miss, if the gun looks to be well put together and it shoots good groups, then Id say you have a great gun. Happy shooting!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the tip on that price. I'm off to Walmart in the morning.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The Federal ammo is accurate in my .30-30s, in both the 150 and 170 gr versions. It is also my favorite brass for reloading (it is thicker than the Rem or Win brands, so it lasts a long time). I've heard nothing but good things about its terminal performance on deer. I can recommend trying out both bullet weights from each of the three manufacturers so you can broaden your viable choices if you ever need to walk into a big box store or a bait shop in the boonies to buy ammo you can be certain will work well.

The 336W is the budget version in comparison to the 336 C. (Birch vs. walnut stocks). The mechanicals are identical, as is the accuracy, reliability, etc. They are good guns.

I haven't seen an Ilion-produced product. If I were interested in one, I'd probably look it over carefully for fit and finish, and cycle the action to make sure it worked smoothly. If all seemed well, I'd take it home. Now that I've said that, I prefer good used rifles and I'm willing to take my time finding the right one, but plenty of reasonable people disagree with me. To each his own.

·
Super Moderator
15,958 Posts
SoftPoint said:
I've noticed that Wal-Mart has started carrying the Federal Power Shok Ammo for 11.97/box. Has anyone used this? If so please let me know the accuracy results. Also, I picked up a new 30-30W while I was there. Does anyone have any opinions of the new Marlins, pro or con, which are now made under the Remington ownership? I noticed that the stock is now Birch instead of Walnut.
I've used the Federal® Power-Shok™, and all of it's previous names; since 1976. Specifically I use the 170gr RN (#3030B). With this load, shooting at a target 100yds from the bench; I can place 3 shots into ¾" ALL DAY LONG. I have tried every 30/30 cartridge known to man; and THE FEDERAL® POWER-SHOK™ 170gr LOADING IS THE MOST ACCURATE LOAD I HAVE EVER SHOT IN MY 30/30.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
My Glenfield 30 A loves the 150 gr federals, I keep a supply of em here cause I get lazy sometimes. ::) DP

·
Registered
373 Posts
I use that Fed ammo in my 30-30's and my 30-06
All shoot Sub MOA 8)
As already said that Brass is the best for reloading :)

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Federal maroon box 170's shoot pretty dang well in Marvin the Wonder rifle and my SDG 336. Hard to reload for that price, especially around deer season with the Federal rebate deal.

Be safe
Patty

·
Registered
363 Posts
The stuff is probably the most accurate going right now for me in my 336. Four shot groups (the most I can do on one magazine full with my bobbed 1/2 mag tube) hover around M.O.A. now. Even before I had the mag tube conversion and other stuff done to mine, it favored Federal 170 gr. for accuracy

T-C

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Have always had good results with Federal Powershock ammo. My 336ss shoots the 170's very well. It also likes the Rem. 170's and Winchester 170 silvertips. I have used Federal ammo in my 45-70 and .35 Rem Marlins for years with good results. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I've used it, and I've chronographed it out of my 1976 Glenfield 30A with a 20" barrel. It's extremely accurate and clocks 2140 fps out of my gun.

If I didn't reload, that's what i would be using.

·
Super Moderator
12,290 Posts
I have a bunch of the Federal that came with a trade. I seldom shoot factory ammo as I reload but might have to give it a shot to see how it does in my guns.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Blue Box 170's shoot 3/4 in at 100 in mine first three from cold barrel after that open up to 1 1/2 if not totally cold

·
Registered
174 Posts
SoftPoint said:
I've noticed that Wal-Mart has started carrying the Federal Power Shok Ammo for 11.97/box. Has anyone used this? If so please let me know the accuracy results.
Friend SoftPoint,

My 336C likes that WalMart Power Shok best of all the store bought ammo....with the Winchester Super X close behind. I am lookin' at the cost ta handload my own vs a trip ta Wally World.....dont fergit ta add the sales tax when ya git ta cipherin'.

regards
bearridge

ps No matter what the cost, I aim ta set up ta handload ever thing I shoot. The central guviment dont show no respect ta the Constitution.

A standing military force with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home. James Madison

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just picked up a couple boxes at Walmart and noticed a couple rounds with easily noticed dents in the body of the casing. Almost all of the rounds from one box had small dents on the shoulder of the ammo. They will probably shoot fine...but I may have to do some "convincing" if/when I use the brass for reloading.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Small dents, no sweat.....long az yer fingernail dont catch on it...they resize out. Aint seen that yet in the boxes I sprung fer.

regards
bearridge

Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real. We live in a primitive time, don't we, Will, neither savage nor wise. Hannibal Lector

1 - 20 of 21 Posts