Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came full circle when I saw a add for a 1969 336 30-30 in good condition . I started hunting 40 years ago with a 336 30-30 and as it would happen after a few years of success i decided i needed a 270 and that was where the odesey of more and more extreme rifles began . and after more rifles than i care to talk about i am back hunting with 30-30 and am loving it . My question is does any body use the federal premiun nosler partitions? I went with my old stand by ammo 170 gr. Rem cor-lokts . I shot a 225lb boar with one at approx 60yds. It dropped at the shot and did not get up . When i went over to him 2hrs later he was very much alive just shot kinda high in the sholder but missed the lungs and was realy pissed . After finishing him off i noticed i didnt get a pass through with the inital shot . the bullit seemed to semi explode . Does this sound normal ? On a side note i was at my folks house for the holidays and found a box of my 30-30 cartridges from the 80's, up on closed examination it is obvious they have different projectiles. Any how I am wanting the best 30-30 ammo I can get. I get to hunt a river swamps hear in Louisiana where mature bucks reach weights over 250lbs.and am looking for a load that will work on almost any forward shot angle . The partitions seam to show promise. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Was that a boar hog, or a boar bear? I'd look into the partition bullets, but haven't used them yet. I did have a 170 Speer blow up on a quartering toward buck that I never recovered. I got one bone chip, followed him over four hills, and a neighbor shot him after I lost him.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Cor loks might be to thin of a jacket. Designed more for whitetail. There are a lot of other bullets that would be better suited for large boars, the Partition being one that comes to mind. 30 cal bullets are very popular so you should not have any problem loading up something fast and solid.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was that a boar hog, or a boar bear? I'd look into the partition bullets, but haven't used them yet. I did have a 170 Speer blow up on a quartering toward buck that I never recovered. I got one bone chip, followed him over four hills, and a neighbor shot him after I lost him.
Sorry for not being clear it was a boar hog . We have plenty of those but they seldom top 300lb. Broad side shots are preferred but more than once I have had to deal with deer facing me and blood trails are essential in the palmetto thickets and that is my motivation for more penetration

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
It isn't always easy to find out what a particular bullet is designed for (designed to do). It may require visits to the maker's website, or even a phone call. Generally the heavier bullets are made to expand more slowly and penetrate deeper. But as you have seen, it may not always be the case. Fortunately there are many makers of good premium bullets.

This can be taken too far, also, in not having enough expansion and the bullet acting essentially as a full metal jacket bullet, just going right on through the animal.

Look for bullets that are intended to expand to the degree you want, at the velocities you will be driving them. If you're shooting a 180 gr bullet intended for 300 Weatherby Mag velocities of 3100-3200 fps, you may only see minimal expansion when you push them to 2100 fps from your 30-30. It's not the bullet's fault.

If you reload, you can control for these variables. And you may want to test your ammo for terminal performance.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,550 Posts
Leadfeather - thanks for this inquiry.

I've thought about the 170 Nosler Partition for my 30-30, but have never tried it.

I do have quite a bit of experience with Nosler Partitions, going back to the 1970's. Normally what I've found is that they're surprisingly accurate, and that they work well on game.

The front portion is designed to be rather "soft" to promote rapid expansion. Can even just come apart. The rear core hangs together and usually (not always) penetrates right through game. In fact, the only Nosler Partition I've recovered from game was a 200 gr Partition started at 2600 fps from my 30-06 rifle, which hit a grizzly at about 25 - 30 yards. The bullet was recovered while we were skinning the bear.

As you can see, the front end is pretty much gone. I hit him with two more shots, and those bullets were not recovered. Fair sized bear for an arctic grizzly:

I remain a big fan of the Partition, after all these years. Normally that front end expands rapidly, and the back part of the bullet continues driving forward into the vitals, and often exiting the animal. A 175 gr 7mm Partition punched right through a big bull elk for me nearly 20 years ago. He only managed a few faltering steps after being hit:

And years before that there was a 140 pound wild hog that took a 180 gr Nosler Partition from a 300 Win Mag at about 40 yards. One and done, bullet exit. However muzzle velocity on that one was likely around 3,000 fps, something the 30-30 isn't known for.

Not the same bullet or cartridge you're asking about, but I thought I'd throw in a bit of Nosler Partition experience I've acquired over the past 40+ years. I'd think you should try the 170 Nosler Partition on a few more animals. Check to see if it's producing the terminal results you want, then make a decision.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
2,775 Posts

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
From what I hear the boar has a thick, bone like cartilage plate high on the shoulder. I would think the Nosler Partition would be just the ticket. Like M700 I have used them in other calibers with great results and thought about loading some for my 307 Winchester.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
For the bigger tougher stuff Buffalo Bore makes a laod with the 190 grain Hawk bullet. They have a video on you Tube of a bull moose taken with that load. Lots of 30-30 bullets are designed for deer. winchester used ot maek teh silver tips that were supposed to be more controlled epansion adn then there is the Federal Fusion. For deer most of the offerings are pretty good, for something like a large heavy boned hog I think the 190 Hawks might be the best.

DEP

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
use the Nosler's - you'll never have to try anyhing else.....I shoot the 170gr partition mostly but also shoot 163gr hcgc ....either way - big boar is done....when you see what the partitions do you'll start believing the ol 30-30 is a grizzly gun - elk, moose, - you just have to get within range and put the bullet where it goes

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I would agree that considering the critters you're hunting, that the Federal Vital Shok 170 NP is a good choice, and have adopted it as my primary hunting round.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I recently came full circle when I saw a add for a 1969 336 30-30 in good condition . I started hunting 40 years ago with a 336 30-30 and as it would happen after a few years of success i decided i needed a 270 and that was where the odesey of more and more extreme rifles began . and after more rifles than i care to talk about i am back hunting with 30-30 and am loving it . My question is does any body use the federal premiun nosler partitions? I went with my old stand by ammo 170 gr. Rem cor-lokts . I shot a 225lb boar with one at approx 60yds. It dropped at the shot and did not get up . When i went over to him 2hrs later he was very much alive just shot kinda high in the sholder but missed the lungs and was realy pissed . After finishing him off i noticed i didnt get a pass through with the inital shot . the bullit seemed to semi explode . Does this sound normal ? On a side note i was at my folks house for the holidays and found a box of my 30-30 cartridges from the 80's, up on closed examination it is obvious they have different projectiles. Any how I am wanting the best 30-30 ammo I can get. I get to hunt a river swamps hear in Louisiana where mature bucks reach weights over 250lbs.and am looking for a load that will work on almost any forward shot angle . The partitions seam to show promise. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Leadfeather, I do not use the Federals, but I do use my 30-30 extensively here in Africa and some of the antelope and hogs I hunt are rather big and tough. Way more than the 125kg you mention your limit could be. Many years ago I settled on Winchester Silvertips and when they became unavailable I moved on to Winchester Power Points. I only use 170gr'ers and I use only these as they give me excellent results in accuracy, reliability and terminal ballistics. I truly cannot fault them and as we have limited supplies here, I buy all that I can find. These Winchesters have bagged me hundreds of antelope & hogs of all sizes.

My next best option are from eastern Europe - Prvi Partizan 170gr. I do not know whether you can get these , but I am sure you can get some Winchesters. I have not hunted as many animals with these, but so far they also look promising. I cannot however unequivocally say that they are on par with the Winchesters.

Just my two cents worth, but if the Federals work for you stick with them. I won't change for as long as I can procure Winchesters.
:elefant::top::elefant:

2014-07-13 10.07.01.jpg

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
The Partition bullet in 30-30 would be a very good choice as would the Barnes bullet (both proven bullets) but it is not uncommon to shoot a hog more than one time, There is no bullet that kills them dead all the time. I have shot lots of hogs and some fall dead and some require a second shot. I like the Winchester PowerMax bonded 150 gr bullet when I shoot the 30-30 but if I was to shoot a real big hog I would be fully expecting to maybe have to shoot it twice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Leadfeather - thanks for this inquiry.

I've thought about the 170 Nosler Partition for my 30-30, but have never tried it.

I do have quite a bit of experience with Nosler Partitions, going back to the 1970's. Normally what I've found is that they're surprisingly accurate, and that they work well on game.

The front portion is designed to be rather "soft" to promote rapid expansion. Can even just come apart. The rear core hangs together and usually (not always) penetrates right through game. In fact, the only Nosler Partition I've recovered from game was a 200 gr Partition started at 2600 fps from my 30-06 rifle, which hit a grizzly at about 25 - 30 yards. The bullet was recovered while we were skinning the bear.

As you can see, the front end is pretty much gone. I hit him with two more shots, and those bullets were not recovered. Fair sized bear for an arctic grizzly:

I remain a big fan of the Partition, after all these years. Normally that front end expands rapidly, and the back part of the bullet continues driving forward into the vitals, and often exiting the animal. A 175 gr 7mm Partition punched right through a big bull elk for me nearly 20 years ago. He only managed a few faltering steps after being hit:

And years before that there was a 140 pound wild hog that took a 180 gr Nosler Partition from a 300 Win Mag at about 40 yards. One and done, bullet exit. However muzzle velocity on that one was likely around 3,000 fps, something the 30-30 isn't known for.

Not the same bullet or cartridge you're asking about, but I thought I'd throw in a bit of Nosler Partition experience I've acquired over the past 40+ years. I'd think you should try the 170 Nosler Partition on a few more animals. Check to see if it's producing the terminal results you want, then make a decision.

Regards, Guy
I have used Partitions on a successful elk hunt 2 years ago with a 200 gr from a 300 win mag with a 2900 mv. and achieved a pass through shot . My real concern was weather they would reliably open at 30-30 velocities. After referencing the nosler website I found that the 30-30 version is optimized to expand on game out to 200yds at normal 30-30 velocity's.

·
Registered
20,203 Posts
there's a guy on Marlin Owners that lives and hunts in South Africa.
his call sign is Sambane.
all he uses is a Marlin 336 30-30 and 170gr Winchester Power-Point factory loads.
you won't believe the game he has collected with that ammo!
whoops... he already replied! my bad.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Thanks B'cat, never seen this post from M700 before. Cool and thanks Guy! :elefant::top::elefant:

Guy, I have nearly 1200 recovered 30-30 (170) gr bullets from various animals - over approx 40 years of using the 30-30. (Winchester 94 & Marlin 336 and about 10 off with a TC)
My latest calculations show my weight retention for the Winchester PP's lies between 79% - 88% with very few at the 3σ extremes of the curve and few above this percentage - my statistical curve is one unnaturally tall hump! Unfortunately I do not have the Silvertips that I used in the 80's and 90's separately, nor the data on the Winchester / Marlin / TC.
The odds and sods at the ends incorporates bullets recovered from Zebra, Blue wildebeest and a few bigger and "flatter" game, where I have struck large bones and pieces of the bullets might have broken off and of course not been collected. Large majority of animals were one shot kills too - hardly any head shots. The worst bullet break up was on the shoulder of a Black Wildebeest (White Tailed Gnu). My shooting ranges are varied but in general further than what I read about here on MO. The majority of my bullets were through-through and were not recovered.

The largest animals I shot (and it was purely out of necessity) with a 170 gr PP was a 845 kg Eland bull and a female Giraffe (?kg) - single shot on the Eland (it had already two very badly placed 30-06 shots - no vitals) , two on the Giraffe (the second wasn't really necessary, but I wanted to make sure / she was sickly and in bad condition).

I do not usually share this info and I would like to stress that I am not a champion for any manufacturer or marketing group. Just a lonely soul with itchy feet and trigger "fanger"!
:elefant::beer::elefant:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Thanks B'cat, never seen this post from M700 before. Cool and thanks Guy! :elefant::top::elefant:

Guy, I have nearly 1200 recovered 30-30 (170) gr bullets from various animals - over approx 40 years of using the 30-30. (Winchester 94 & Marlin 336 and about 10 off with a TC)
My latest calculations show my weight retention for the Winchester PP's lies between 79% - 88% with very few at the 3σ extremes of the curve and few above this percentage - my statistical curve is one unnaturally tall hump! Unfortunately I do not have the Silvertips that I used in the 80's and 90's separately, nor the data on the Winchester / Marlin / TC.
The odds and sods at the ends incorporates bullets recovered from Zebra, Blue wildebeest and a few bigger and "flatter" game, where I have struck large bones and pieces of the bullets might have broken off and of course not been collected. Large majority of animals were one shot kills too - hardly any head shots. The worst bullet break up was on the shoulder of a Black Wildebeest (White Tailed Gnu). My shooting ranges are varied but in general further than what I read about here on MO. The majority of my bullets were through-through and were not recovered.

The largest animals I shot (and it was purely out of necessity) with a 170 gr PP was a 845 kg Eland bull and a female Giraffe (?kg) - single shot on the Eland (it had already two very badly placed 30-06 shots - no vitals) , two on the Giraffe (the second wasn't really necessary, but I wanted to make sure / she was sickly and in bad condition).

I do not usually share this info and I would like to stress that I am not a champion for any manufacturer or marketing group. Just a lonely soul with itchy feet and trigger "fanger"!
:elefant::beer::elefant:
Been wanting to pick Sambane's brain for some time on his experiences with a 30-30. Kind of reinforced my thinking on the cartridge. Winchester replaced the silver tips with their Power Bonds and charge more. Thing is it uses bullets specifically designed for the cartridge and has been around for some time. The Buffalo Bore load using a Hawk bullet sells at a price that kind of makes ones system pucker. Over $60 a box. Barnes sells their 190 grain bullets for reloading at by the 50's instead of 100. Privi Partison sells for $14 a box on Midway and has a 4.6 rating (out of 5 for a high). Probably so cheap that hunters don't take them seriously, yet Sambane thinks they may have potential.

Normally I an get 30-30 cartridges so cheap I do not reload them, but I am starting to just because I have so much stuff to do so. I even have the bullet molds to cast for one. I had very good results with a heavy cast bullet weighing in at 188 grains with my alloy. Dropped a deer so fast I had to roll it on its side to gut it. Shot it at 140 paces from my tree. Started using one again as I just like "deer" cartridges.

DEP

1 - 20 of 57 Posts