Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been fishing several types of worms lately... For those of you who fish worms - what types do you see are more or less effective?

For example - I have fished night crawlers next to red worms and notice that at least for catfish - the night crawlers out catch red worms 10:1. I am not sure there is as much of a difference with panfish - as many sight feed..... Bass don’t seem to care - they take plastics just as readily as real worms...

But I have noticed a lot of the YouTube fishermen seem to favor nightcrawlers - even night crawler bits - over red worms.

I have noticed it’s a lot more difficult to get the old fashioned conventional “earth worms” here now than it used to be vs the European red worms... But I have to wonder if it’s because they are easier to farm - not that they fish better....

·
Premium Member
10,542 Posts
we have a local worm here in the low country of SC that are in the swamps. they are call "blue worms" you have to go out and dig your own. there is nothing that compares to them,,,,,,,,,,

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I do not do any fresh water fishing here in FL.Near me,it’s all saltwater.I use shrimp or finger mullet.
When I lived in CT,night crawlers were the best for fresh water lakes and streams.Caught everything with them.And they were easy to get.Just drive to a baseball field on a rainy night with a dim flashlight and a container.You’ll have dozens in no time.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Hard to beat a night crawler for fresh water... blood worms work well for coastal fishin/ pier..

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I don't fish live bait very often, unless forced to. Hellgramites are dynamite for creek fishing. The trouble is everything likes them. You
get everything from Chubs to carp grabbing them. PIA when you are after Small Mouth. Second is soft craws which have the same
trouble.

·
Registered
25,053 Posts
All I use is Canadian nightcrawlers.

Big, lively - sassy, just like my Canuck cousins.

Just about everything that swims in freshwater will eat 'em.

Gr8rtst.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.