Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I sighted in both the iron sights and a Mil-dot scope on my newly acquired .444. It took 12 rounds (4 groups of 3) to do the basic adjustments. After 12 rounds spread out over an hour or so, my shoulder was hurting to the point that it was distracting. When I checked in the mirror, I found an imprint of a man on a horse as a fuzzy mark.

Even though we have buffalo roaming about, none of them need shooting just now. A far more likely target is a group of feral pigs from suckling up to 200 lbs. An appropriate cartridge for a hog would be something like a .44 Rem Mag. I found that some Henry rifles use the .44 Rem Mag/.44 Spl pistol cartridge and a 1:38 twist barrel. It would seem possible to possible to load a .44 Rem Mag bullet and powder charge into a .444 Marlin case. That round can be improved by replacing the faster burning pistol powder (Unique??) with a slower burning rifle powder (e.g. 4198. My question is then: What would be a .444 Marlin reload that would approximate the following cartridges?

.44 Rem Mag - for thin skinned, medium sized animals like white tail & mule deer, antelope, pig etc.
.44 Special - for smaller animals like coyote, feral dog, etc.

Thank You

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
10-12gr Trail Boss, Large Rifle Primer & 240gr Lee SWC = Avg. 1000-1200fps = .44MAG
6-8gr Trail Boss, Large Rifle Mag Primer & 240gr Lee SWC = Avg. 800-1000fps = .44SPCL
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My regular load for the T-4 is the RanchDog 265 cast bullet and 41.3 grains of H4198. I notice a tender shoulder for 2-3 days after I've shot about 20 of them. A load that "feels" softer to me ( and I know this is subjective) is 26 grains of H4198 and a Beartooth Bullets cast 400 grain bullet or a triball load using the same amount of powder.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
My regular load for the T-4 is the RanchDog 265 cast bullet and 41.3 grains of H4198. I notice a tender shoulder for 2-3 days after I've shot about 20 of them. A load that "feels" softer to me ( and I know this is subjective) is 26 grains of H4198 and a Beartooth Bullets cast 400 grain bullet or a triball load using the same amount of powder.
I'd like to know about the triball load rimrock. I've loaded double ball in a 45 colt and would lay claim to shooting twice so fast you'll only hear one shot, and put 2 holes in the target. :biggrin: Was a fun load....back before I traded my 45 colt to eaglestroker that is............... What size ball do you use and where do you get them?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I have some reduced loads, but I really enjoy the recoil. When I shoot a 22 now, it leaves me with a ho-hum feeling and wanting to shoot something with some thump.
lee 429-200 RF with 13.5gr Trail Boss for 1350-1400 fps. With no gas check on the bullet, it's my cheapest load. It groups about 2" at 100.
I load the 187gr Chino Valley over 53.3gr of H4895 for right at 2000fps. Shoots and felt recoil like a 30-30. About 1 1/2" to 2" at 100.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
A Good Average Load for the T4: 44gr H-4198, LR Primer & 240gr JSP/JHP = Approx. 2144fps
Very Accurate in My Gun & Good enough to Take Black Bear & Boar Hogs.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: Wes and jbaker30

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'd like to know about the triball load rimrock. I've loaded double ball in a 45 colt and would lay claim to shooting twice so fast you'll only hear one shot, and put 2 holes in the target. :biggrin: Was a fun load....back before I traded my 45 colt to eaglestroker that is............... What size ball do you use and where do you get them?
I buy any 44 cal bp roundball. I slosh a little alox on them for lube. They're usually marked .454 dia, run them through a .432 sizer that I got from RanchDog as part of his prior bulk, custom buys from Lee so they become a little oblong. For roundballs 1 and 2, I use a Lee .432 seater with the seater plug reversed so they get pushed inside the case. Round ball1 is pushed deeper by roundball 2and roundball 2 is pushed deeper by round ball 3. Round ball 3 is seated using a flat faced 7/8 x 14 X 3.5 inch bolt in my single stage press so I can see when round ball 3 is about half way inside the case. I crimp using a Lee Factory Crimp die. There's some history behind this load. Google "garrison load" to learn about the U.S. military using triball loads in 45/70 to prevent stockade escapes in late 1800's. At 25 yds, they form a triangle having about 7 inch sides--very bad buck shot if you come through my door uninvited.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to thank all who responded. I particularly want to thank those who provided "recipes": Unclesarge58, Rimrock, and Mt Sourdough. That info gives me a starting point in the maze of several thousand published loads.

I thank Bikerbean for the link to levergun performance and I recommend that link. That article corrected my misunderstanding of the causes of detonation. I envisioned the powder burn within a chamber to be like the fuel burn within an engine - wrong.

Finally, concerning the recoil. The range I used has solid concrete benches. The recoil is substantial and capable of doing damage if not handled properly. However, even in my wildest dreams I do not expect to fire 12 rounds at big game targets in a single day, much less in an hour. Firing a round or two at a big elk, griz, moose etc I doubt if I will remember anything of the recoil or report.

My next task is a trip to a good gun shop to buy a properly fitted recoil pad. I stand well above 6 ft. The .444SS is a compact gun.
Since I am the only user of this gun, I can optimize its dimensions for me. It seems a good idea for the gun to point/shoot much like a well fitted trap/skeet gun.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
+1 on the PAST Recoil Pad.
Works Wonders for Taming Recoil when Shooting From The Bench.
Really Helps when Developing Hotter Loads & Loads w/ Heavy Boolits.
Recoil from Shots Fired While Hunting is Usually Unnoticed or even Remembered.
One of My Favorite Shooting Accessories.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: tdoyka and Big_T

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
bikerbean,
What Powder you Usin' 4 That Load?
US58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
That's Good to Know.
Because, That's One of the Powders that my Local Supplier Does Have on the Shelf.
Luckily I Still Have 2 1/2 lbs of H-4198 & Lots of Lead.
Thanx,
US58

Reactions: bikerbean
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.