Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Shooters.........

I got thinking about Pistol Powders I've used in my reloading years, and I think I'm just going to settle on two or three from now on for everything. I've burned a ton of Unique, and still like is as a General-Purpose powder. Power Pistol is also a favorite lately, great velocity with moderate charges. I've also used a lot of the Accurate Arms Powders, mostly #5 and #7, and they are VERY clean burning. H-110 and W-296 also served me well, but as much as I like to shoot, I couldn't afford to burn that much powder with each shot. I was always more of a Field/Self-Defense load guy, so I only tried Bullseye once, and decided Unique or Blue Dot would serve me better. I also dabbled with Herco, 2400, Red Dot, AA9, WST, 231, and probably a dozen others I don't remember.

My inclination right now is to use WST and Power Pistol for all my loads in 38, 357, 40SW, and 44 Mag.

What do you guys think? Am I forgetting something that might serve me better? My memory ain't so good anymore. :roll: At least that's what those other people said.......whoever they were.

Papajohn

·
Registered
355 Posts
Like you, I've also burned a bunch of Unique, and as an all around somewhat mild load powder, I'm still a big fan of it. I also like Tite Group very well.

I could probably make due with these two, and maybe 296, or Lil' Gun for magnum loads.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Reload for a number of pistol calibers.

Favorites are Unique, WW231, H110, and of course, the old standby, 2400.

L.W.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Really depends on the caliber and bullet being loaded, plus purpose of the load.

H-110 is hard to beat for my magnum hunting loads for the big bores.

Growing fonder of Lil'Gun and Tite Group all the time.

Unique is a great all around powder that does it all.

Hodgdon Clays does a good job of putting my Cowboy loads together and makes some nice loads for the big bores here on the farm for walking around.

Green Dot is still a pretty versatile powder, too.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I have joked here before that I like Unique so much I sprinkle it on my morning cereal.

I use Unique for all my handgun loads although I have had good results with W296 in my hot .41 loads. I reload .380, 357, 9mm, 41, 45 Colt and 45acp. I have experimented with Blue Dot, 2400 and a couple others but my results were lackluster and I don't use them anymore.

Because of the variety of rifle loads I have loaded for I have jumped around with rifle powders. I have since sold or traded off some of them and am down to just 2 rifles I reload for: 30-06 and 348wcf. With the 30-06 I have pretty much settled on IMR 4895, for the 348 H4831 although I am still experimenting with others.

I use Winchester WST exclusively for my shotgun, duplicating the AA factory load.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
papajohn said:
My inclination right now is to use WST and Power Pistol for all my loads in 38, 357, 40SW, and 44 Mag.

I don't know exactly why, but I've always preferred IMR 4227 for these loads.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Titegroup! A litle goes a long way. It covers many cartridges.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everyone is different, and we've all had different experiences, which explains our own prejudices. I never got the accuracy I'd hoped for with 231, 2400 left too much unburned powder behind, and 4227 just smells awful to me. H-110 smells WONDERFUL, but requires too much powder for everyday shooting. Unique is good but a bit on the dirty side. I love AA powders, but they don't work well with the Lee measures I have five of. Hence, Power Pistol has become a favorite, and WST also works well with my setup. Lil Gun is very similar to H-110 and 296, but gives somewhat better velocity with most loads.

I guess I'm just an opinionated old phart. But I still like hearing what works for everyone else, whether I have the same experiences or not!

Papajohn

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Reloading powder is like noses... everyone has one, picks them differently and for different reasons...

...I should probably think of a better analogy.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was a REALLY scary analogy. Maybe you need a different hobby!
:shock:

PJ

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would like to get a powder that will perform with my 38 spec. and hopefully the 41 mag I should be getting in a little while. I use IMR in my rifles, such as 4198, 3031, and 4350. But like I said, I want to use just one powder that will serve good. I'll be shooting 170 gr. in the 41 mag. when I get it. What is your take on these Uberti revolvers? Trying to make my mind up on the 45 Colt with the 7 1/2 barrel, or the blackhawk 41 mag. with the 6 1/2 barrel. Give me some feedback if you would.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I vote for the 41 Mag, better ballistics and a lot of fun to shoot without putting yourself in danger with hotter loads. For powders in 38 and 41, I like 800-X if you can find it, very fluffy stuff that gives good loading density and reduces the chances of a double charge. It doesn't meter as well as ball powder, but the accuracy I got with it made it a good selection anyway. Hope this helps.

Papajohn

·
Premium Member
11,088 Posts
Many years ago (in a Galaxy far far away)......oops, sorry, got lost there....
Anyway, I've burned a lot of Unique in 45ACP, 357 Mag and 38 Spl. Too.
Along time ago, a friend gave me a canister of GreenDot, and that has become my 1st choice for 45ACP. I like Unique for the 10 MM, and others.
I've not experimented as much as others. i found powders and loads that worked well for mw, and I've stayed with them.

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I gave up on Bullseye years ago, just too dirty for my uses. Since I first posted this topic, I've delved into Lil Gun, gone back to H-110, burned a four-pounder of WST in 38, another of Unique in 44 Special and Mag, tried Blue Dot again, and even some 800-X. I guess I'm just destined to be a powder gypsy. But I'm still having fun with it! :wink:

Papajohn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts