Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all- this is a really great page. I usually hang out on the rimfire forum but I recently got my "proper 'yote stopper" together (the 250) and bought a set of dies. My Dad used to reload for me and I would like to get into it again. My question is this- I've looked on reloaders nest and several other web pages and have frequently read the phrase "with modern powders the 250 will safely reach velocities of 3000 fps. w/ 100 gr bullets" But I can find little hard info. My current bench mark load is 38 gr. of IMR 4350. As I said my Dad loaded these for me years ago and had all the numbers in his head. It certainly qualifies as my accuracy winner but I would like to hit that 3000 fps mark if it can be done w/o ruining the rifle. I have heard that much of the published data is based on "old" data using old rifles. Any pet loads for this cl. or a reliable source for data? Also how "current do you find the published velocity data for the older calibres? Those guys w/ their .243's keep lookin' down there noses at me.... Thanks for the thoughts CL

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well- I guess nobody shoots a 250 Sav. Too bad- the 243 dosent edge it out buy much and under 250 yds there aint a nickels worth of difference. some say that the 250 even has a game getting advantage due to the bigger cross section of the .25 cal bullet. Folks at the reloading bench web site note "there is nothing that the 30-30 can do that the 250 Savage wont do better".

·
Registered
957 Posts
Clover, I shoot a .250-3000. A good bit depends on just which one you are shooting. My first, and the one I hung on to, is a Savage 99. It won't take the pressure that bolt action will take. You just might get 3000 fps out of a bolt with a 24" barrel, but you sure won't do it in my 20" Savage 99.

Long ago I owned a Ruger 77 in .250-3000. It would take a full two grains more of AA-3100 (MR-3100 at the time) than the Savage would. I did not have a chronograph at the time, but it mighta made 3000 fps with 100 grain bullets. That was all that could be vibrated into the case and still seat a bullet.

I note that the Lee 2nd edition shows H-414 as making 3100 fps from an unspecified rifle. No other powder breaks 3000 fps so I would be wary.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leftoverdj-
Well thanks for the reply!! I heard that case capacity was a the sticking point with this round. Have you tried any bullet weights over 100 gr. I understand this is the problem here too (overall length). No worries though- I am not one to be pushing the posted recommendations. While my FN Mauser could probably handle it I have no desire to "walk on the wild side" like that. I am content to use my 250 with a little less powder as it is a Sub MOA shooter with the load noted above. What bullet/ weight have you used for hunting and whay have you experiences been? The H414 load does look interesting I was thinking about giving a few a try just see how it shoots. That powder and some 75 Gr hollow points might make a "proper coyote stopper". I got hooked on the 250 several years ago after a lucky one shot kill (broken neck) on an antelope. He dropped in his tracks and I was hooked. I am very recoil sensative so this is still a great round for me. Used w/ 100gr. good bullet within its limits I doubt it will fail me. Thanks for the thoughts CL

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sorry, I am not much of a hunter and have never killed anything of any great size with my .250-3000. I have played with heavier bullets, though. The Hornady and Remington 117 grain RNs for the .25-35 shoot well and can be pushed to 2600 or a bit over. That's the load I carried the few times I took that rifle hunting. Where I hunt, a shot over 100 yards is a great rarity and my first requirement in a hunting bullet is that it open up. You are not likely to run into penetration problems on 100 pound whitetails, but a bullet that does not expand is likely to be a disaster.

Back when I did hunt with a hunt club, I saw a lot of that. The .243 was new at the time (early '70s) and the bullets left a lot to be desired. We also had members who insisted on using 180 grain bullets in .30-06s and .308s and a lung shot was likely to mean a very long tracking job on a very slim blood trail.

Your FN Mauser does not have the length restrictions my Savage does. You should be able to seat bullets out as far as the throat will let you. The Nosler 115 grains should be well worth trying and would lift the .250-3000 well above the .243 class without any great increase in recoil. They did quite well in the Ruger 77.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey- thanks again for the reply. I dont know if I'd go to the 117's or not. I will have to look into it a little. As most of my hunting is in open country I'd like to keep the energy at least 1000 ft lbs out to 200 yds. !00gr's Just make that mark. You make a good point- velocity and energy arent everything if the bullet dosent work. I wonder if the Nosler partitions, Barnes X, and the comparable Hornady (cant think of the name would open up at 200 yds? I cant quote the velocity figures at that range but I think the 100gr's are 2300-2400 fps. Ive seen good performance from the balistic tips but also herard of penetration failures when deer as re hit in the brisket or shoulder at 243 velocities. Anyhow I'm rambling-thanks for sharing the experiences. CL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts