Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got some Hornady 180 Gr HP/XTP 357 magnum bullets for reloading. Does anyone have a favorite load that is very accurate using 2400 or AA#9? I'm maxed out on the powders I can have due to ridiculous Maryland anti gun laws. I also have IMR 3031 and Rel 7 but I don't think they're good candidates for the 357 magnum. It seems H-110 is a great choice but I can only own another powder if I get rid of one that I already use. :mad:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just curious. What stupid law has Maryland passed to screw reloaders?
You will just have to shoot up some powder and get some Lil'Gun. Hodgdon has several loads for 180's.
M.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
12.5 grains of 2400 works well for me with gas checked 180 grain cast. Try working up to it with the Hornady bullet.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
80hp said:
Just curious. What stupid law has Maryland passed to screw reloaders?
You will just have to shoot up some powder and get some Lil'Gun. Hodgdon has several loads for 180's.
M.
I'm curious too.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
There are lots of Federal and State laws that limit what you can have in your home, but it's not as bad as some places.........I heard in Oz, you can't have powder in any place that people live, it has to be kept in an outbuilding.

The local laws in St Louis and Missouri state that you can have up to 20 pounds of powder in your house, or up to fifty if they're stored in a special cabinet with walls at least an inch thick. Most of my kegs are stored off-site (with relatives) and I just top off my one-pounders when I go over there.

Personally, I'd rather have a thousand pounds of smokeless powder in my house than a gallon of gasoline. And I don't keep black powder around, either.

As for a 357/180-grain load, I'm getting ready to load some Remington 180 SJHP's and I'll be starting with Lil Gun or 2400. I think a bullet that heavy might just be the trick to get 2400 to burn the way it should, without all that unburned powder in the barrel and action. 8)

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
PJ, it might be a good opportunity to try 300MP.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Who in their right mind checks how much powder you have? Do you have the powder police? That's ridiculous, go buy the powder you need, who is going to come to your house and check it?

And if there is a law against this, it's not a gun law, it's a fire code which is a local ordinance having to do with multi-family dwellings. I would ignore it and go on with my reloading.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Halwg said:
Who in their right mind checks how much powder you have? Do you have the powder police? That's ridiculous, go buy the powder you need, who is going to come to your house and check it?

And if there is a law against this, it's not a gun law, it's a fire code which is a local ordinance having to do with multi-family dwellings. I would ignore it and go on with my reloading.
Agreed, Don't tell me what I can or can't do in my own home!

Key

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I shoot with a guy who has well over a hundred fulls kegs of powder in his basement, none ever opened. The open ones are in his shed. :D If his house ever catches fire, when it gets to the powder it should be visible from the Space Station. Might even raise the temp a few degrees! Talk about your Global Warming...........

I don't worry much about the Powder Police, but I was sent a PM on another forum by a guy who is an Insurance Adjuster for a LARGE Company. He said if my building ever caught fire, and the investigators discovered I was over the limit for powder quantities, my insurance claim would be voided faster than you can say Messerschmitt. It wouldn't matter who started the fire, or how, the claim would be nixed instantly. Not fair, but that's how they roll. Since then I've been moving my kegs out. My last next-door neighbor was a City Building Inspector........who was never allowed in my door! ;D

OZ, I might try 300MP in the 357/180 load if I can't get the results I want with Lil Gun or 2400, but right now buying another new powder just doesn't make much sense. I have too much invested in all those other powders! Why don't you test it for me, and let me know how it does? ;)

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I'd love to try it John, but I can't get any. However I'm a bit like you and already have enough supplies to see me out. ;) But that don't mean I won't grab some if I get half a chance. ;D

Cheers,
Mark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts