I’ve got two.

My Pedersoli Hawken Percussion Rifle (.50 cal) new last year:
F87B1843-BB4F-4B27-A98B-9342FA77D4C9.jpg

My Remington 700LH (.270 Win) from 1979:
AC735C3A-0843-404A-BB64-988C0CC5F60B.jpeg

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a southpaw and used to have a LH AR, but got rid of it. Took it in the shorts on the resale value too. All my pistols are set up for RH shooting, except those that came with ambidextrous controls as standard. I even used to shoot bolt rifles left handed too, but I wouldn't mind trying one set up for a southpaw. I just wouldn't like to pay the premium, if there is one.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
As a "Lefty" my first left handed rifle was a Remington 700 FS model with a factory offered Brown precision stock, the rifle was a sub-moa shooter with multiple bullets. I should have kept that rifle but had to have a lefty Winchester M-70 in .270 in stainless so I let it go.....and the model 70 eventually. OH....the rifles we should have not let go.

I eventually matured with age deciding single shot rifles and Marlin lever guns suit a "lefty" shooter just fine. I did buy my lefty son a Tikka T3X in 6.5 Creedmoor....he is set with one do all rifle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a Savage 110L in .30-06 that has been my favorite for a long while.

Nothing much to look at, but accurate (with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40) and deadly.

I have a couple of other left-handed rifles, but that Savage just works for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve managed to accrue quite a few LH guns so far. Started with a LH 870 (26” and 20” barrels), then added a Stag 8L in 5.56 (piston).

I really like my Tikka T3’s, my primary hunting boot gun is .308 and I’ve got a 30-06 in the safe. The 30-06 doesn’t see as much use anymore as I transferred from Alaska to Mississippi. Sure Tikka’s aren’t perfect, but they’re light, smooth action and pretty good triggers. Bolt throw on the .308 is long action instead of short, but other than academic debate, I don’t really notice it while shooting. And being stainless on composite/plastic stocks I don’t think twice taking either out in Alaska weather or southern swamps!

I downright love my Rem 700 BDL in .243, it’ll ring 6” and 4” steel plates at 300 yds when I do my part correctly. But being a blued gun I don’t take it afield as often - thick brush and muddy trails...

More recently I built a LH .300 Blackout AR pistol for hog hunting. Shoots great, but haven’t had a chance to pin any hogs with it yet. Sorry no photos of it on my phone...

Not LH specific, but I also have a 1895GS and 1894 (44M). Really love these guns, but I’m working through some accuracy problems with the 1894... I also have an Encore .50 Katadin muzzleloader (20” barrel). All 3 are great LH guns.

Missing a photo of the 1894 on my phone too. Started with 12” groups at 50yds, down to 3-4” at 50 last week, all with factory ammo. Need to slug the barrel I think and work up some reloads...

Most of the optics on these guns have changed from the photos. Running Vortex scopes on most of them, irons/peeps on the 870, Encore, and Marlins.

Only thing “missing” in my armory is a LH 6.5 Creedmoor, but having a pretty accurate .243 I can’t quite bring myself to bite the bullet on another 700 or Savage in 6.5 just yet. Every time I do, the .243 delivers a great group and I delay a little longer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I had a BDL Custom Deluxe in LH 30-06 that I bought with tomato money (at 25 cents/lb) for $315 way back around 1980 or so. Good hunting rifle. My big gripe about Remingtons is that you have to replace the stock, or do a lot of work to the factory stock, if you want to float the barrel. I guess they feel like they're popular enough without having to do that, but it's an annoyance to me when I can get a "cheap" Savage or Tikka, both with floated barrel, and aluminum bedding in the case of Savage, plus an adjustable trigger. And the Tikka is a couple pounds lighter, with a box magazine.
My first left handed bolt rifle cost 165 back in the early 70's. It was a Remington 270. I just bought a LH Ruger Predator and it is a nice rifle. 6.5 CM which is a good deer cartridge. Because I shoot lefty, I use the Marlin's a lot as they really are ambidextrous. Most miserable rifle I tried was a 99 Savage with a lever safety.

DEP

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm a lefty. One of those people that is so left dominant the right side of my brain does all the work. I am the only lefty in the family, going back and forward several generations. Go figure.
Majored in art in school, math was/is a struggle. Growing up in a gun family, I was lucky enough that my uncle taught the 1911 while in the AAC during WWII.
He taught me to handle the 1911 with both hands, using my left hand to do the things righties do. He also taught all of us to shoot handgun with both hands, and I am just about as comfortable with my right hand as I am with my left. And, I still practice often with my right hand.
When it came time to "solo" with a rifle his 39A served as my training rifle. I have had a thing for Marlins ever since.
He urged me to get a LH bolt gun though as it would be so much easier. I ended up with a 788 in .6mm. It was a great rifle, very accurate.
But I traded it off for a .375 94, it just felt awkward having been around so many RH rifles. I know now I shoulda kept it.
I learned to run a RH bolt gun left handed, and never saw it as a problem.
When I got drafted and we went to the range for the first time I was the only lefty in the group and the range officer told me I was on my own. I fell into the M14 quickly, and still consider it the best ambidextrous combat rifle, much more so than the Garand.
I guess my holy grail for a LH bolt gun would be a 700 BDL varmint in.308.

I am having trouble with my vision, and may be forced to go to my right side with long guns. I have a torn retina on my left side, and may eventually have to change over. I have practiced a lot lately, and the transition won't be that difficult.

I urge all of us to practice with our "off hands". You never know what the future hold for us, accidents, strokes, all kinds of things could change which side we shoot from. And also, to determine which eye is dominant. Not as important with a scope as it is with irons, but still, using your dominant eye makes you a better shooter. Most all of us has a .22 we can take to the range and practice with.
I really like my Marlins, but growing up with bolt guns I have the Marlins more for what they are than what they do.
I do feel for my left handed brothers and sisters, though. Left handed leather is almost non existent, and sometimes higher priced.
Training is sometimes difficult depending on how well the instructor can "think in negative". I find it easier to just live in a "right handed world" but depending on how much of a bother you find it, move over to the other side.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Great list! I did not see the early classic Browning ATD .22LR downward ejection and simila Remington Model 24.

AC.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know I am late to this thread. But since I found this I have read a lot and been really impressed with the information. I probably own the least expensive LH rifle here but I can assure you that it is a shooter that I purchased new in May of 1978. I have reloaded for it since 93 and it has always done its part when I do mine. It is a Remington 788 LH chambered in .308 Winchester. In 1978 it was only available in 6mm Rem or .308. Since my uncle shot a .308 I said give me the .308. I have never looked back. The "factory" trigger would never make it past the final inspection now days and has never had anything touched besides cleaning. It loves Hornady interlocks, 150 and 165 grain. An inexpensive hunting rifle that was actually a good gun with a very fast lock time as per the information I can find on it. Any way here is a previous post with the proof and my old reliable 788.

Well, the stars all lined up, the good Lord said "you can have this" and here is the result!

I was not able to use the 444 as the first stand we tried had the opportunity for some 250+ yard shots. So I went to "old reliable,"
my old Remington Model 788. That being the situation I did not want to have a long shot at a nice animal that was farther than I wanted to shoot the T4 as I have only put 50 rounds thru it and am not completely satisfied with my sight in as of yet. Here is the technical stuff, Range was 105 yards, .308 Winchester, 150 grain Hornady Spire Point Interlock boat tail, 45.5 grains Reloader-12 (old load, don't look for it now but it works well in that gun, not yours), CCI 200 primer and Remington brass. Bullet retained 127.6 grains and mushroomed to .76 inches (just under the skin of the right shoulder, recovered). I really wanted to use the 444 but at the stand we started with it would have not been the best choice as I wanted the Axis Buck and was a guest on the ranch. That being said I could have used it but I have not mastered predicting the future yet. Anyway, there it is and I really enjoyed myself and the hunt. And yes, that is a "Southpaw" Model 788.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I ran into similar experiences when hunting with muzzle loaders. I could take them out and not see anything, nor anything at their range. Then would take out my LH 270 abd one would show up at about 30 yards begging to be shot.

DEP

21 - 33 of 33 Posts