Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

What are your favorite left handed rifles or rifles that cater to a LH shooter? Ill go first- I love anything made by the Montana Rifle Company b/c they will build anything LH. I have a 350 Rem mag and a 375 H&H by them and love the CRF action and the model 70 style. For your money they are the best out there in my opinion.

Secondly I really like the Rem 788's. One of the most accurate actions I have ever had and I put a bull barrel on my 308 and it will shoot a hair of a fly's ass.

Third, I really like Ruger MKII M77's. Great actions and shooters too.

I would like to find a Zastava LH...they look like fun.

Feel Free to post pics. I will later.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have always been on a budget. That's how I ended up with my Savages. They are pretty accurate. I am a hunter so accuracy is good enough for me. I will not post pictures of my rifles as they are used and abused. They have served me well over the years and are still dropping animals for me.

One of the intriguing things about the Savage is that you can re-barrel the rifle yourself - no need for a gunsmith. I re-barreled one of mine to a 30-06 AI. Provides just a little more oomph that the standard '06. Just wanted something a little different.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have several lh savages. .17, .22, .223 they are all shooters. If you have a chance check out er Shaw. They do custom lh savages in a ton of calibers

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have also enjoyed my Savages. Earlier this year, I bought a Tikka T3X in LH 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Also, just placed an order for a Zasatava in LH 9.3x62.

For the money, Savage and Tikka are both hard to beat as far as accuracy. If those two companies don't own the market for accuracy in rifles under $1000, they certainly have the market cornered.

If you've never seen any of Matt Dubber's youtube videos, you should. He and a buddy of his each shoot a 260 Rem - one's a Savage, the other is a Tikka. They both can ring the gong from 600 yards or better with basically stock rifles. They've both gotten rid of the factory stocks, but as far as action and barrel, it's straight up OEM equipment.

If it weren't for a loose nut on the trigger, my Savages and my Tikka are all tack-drivers. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
I'm a righty but am curious if left handed guns cost more than regular guns? I have played guitar most of my life and left handed guitars usually carry a 10-15% surcharge over regular guitars. It sounds silly but I guess they have to tool things differently and wondered if it was the same for guns.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
I have several left hand rifles, one is a Tikka stainless varmint in 6.5x55, a Zastava in .222, a few levers I use as a lefty and also an Anschutz 1903 I use for rimfire benchrest.
At the moment I am saving for a Turbo l/h for rimfire benchrest.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
MY son is LH and he loves his Remington BDL !!!
I had a BDL Custom Deluxe in LH 30-06 that I bought with tomato money (at 25 cents/lb) for $315 way back around 1980 or so. Good hunting rifle. My big gripe about Remingtons is that you have to replace the stock, or do a lot of work to the factory stock, if you want to float the barrel. I guess they feel like they're popular enough without having to do that, but it's an annoyance to me when I can get a "cheap" Savage or Tikka, both with floated barrel, and aluminum bedding in the case of Savage, plus an adjustable trigger. And the Tikka is a couple pounds lighter, with a box magazine.

Reactions: northmn and moofy07

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have a LH Savage in .280 built to resemble a mountain rifle. extremely accurate and fits me perfect.
Did that come from their custom shop, or did you start with a 30-06 that you customized? For the longest time, before I ordered my 9.3x62, I had thought about pinging Savage's custom shop to build me a LH 35 Whelen model 116.

I keep telling myself that I have "enough" hunting guns, that it's time to start collecting C&R. I really want something in
.284 - probably 7mm-08 since Savage and Tikka both offer lefties in that caliber
.338-06 - I want a 338, just not the mag. Will probably order one from Savage's custom shop at some point
.416 - probably a 416 Ruger since they're available in LH, too, though I've seen a few LH 416 Rigbys

Reactions: moofy07

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I only own 2 LH guns - a Savage bolt and a .54 flinter I built myself from various parts. HOGbuster also asked what rifles we have that aren't LH but we feel "cater" to lefties. That's why I like my Marlins. They are not true LH guns but with the hammer spur on the "proper" side and the lever at the bottom they sure beat a bolt gun with the bolt on the WRONG side.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm up to 11 lefty bolt actions; probably my favorite is the CZ 527 in 204 Ruger. Amazingly light and easy to carry and will still put 3 shots at 1/2 inch @ 100 yards. For deer I like the 788 in 308. I have the 6mm as well and would prefer it if I could get the stinking thing to group...

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I have a Browning T-Bolt T2. It has the salt stock so the rifle looks like a Michigan car. I would not mind a new one in 17HMR. I love my S&W revolvers but the cylinder latch is on the wrong side. I am happy with my Ruger LCP but the only fire control on it is the trigger and the mag release is wrong. I have a Remington 870 Special Field that has a Left handed safety that I really like. My Marlins are great though.
All of my muzzle loaders are left handed. I have two more planed and I am getting parts together. On my double barrel shotguns I find myself cocking the right barrel first most of the time. Also the triggers just seem to line up better for southpaws.
Want list
Savage in 22-250
CZ in 17 Hornet
BPS 12 gauge.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am a lefty but only own one left hand rifle. It is a Sig Sauer M 200 left hand bolt action switch barrel rifle. I have 2 barrels and 2 magazines for it, 308 Win and 9.3 X 62.
Its nice because the scope stays on the reciever so you don't need a sepparate scope for each barrel.
I really don't even like most bolt action rifles but this one works well and is really accurate.
Sig Sauer only made these a short while and went to another model for there switch barrel gun.
Both calibers I have use the same bolt also.

Jedman

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Gents,

What are your favorite left handed rifles or rifles that cater to a LH shooter? Ill go first- I love anything made by the Montana Rifle Company b/c they will build anything LH. I have a 350 Rem mag and a 375 H&H by them and love the CRF action and the model 70 style. For your money they are the best out there in my opinion.

Secondly I really like the Rem 788's. One of the most accurate actions I have ever had and I put a bull barrel on my 308 and it will shoot a hair of a fly's ass.

Third, I really like Ruger MKII M77's. Great actions and shooters too.

I would like to find a Zastava LH...they look like fun.

Feel Free to post pics. I will later.
What caliber are you looking for? I know a guy who imports LH Zastava - I bought my 9.3x62 from him. Right now, I know he has LH 375 H&H in inventory, not sure about what else. I know last time he ordered, he got the 375H&H, 9.3x62, and 6.5x55 SE.

I'm planning on ordering at least one more from him: a LH 7x57, and probably a LH 375H&H (to be used as a donor rifle for a 404 Jeffery conversion).

PM me and I'll email you his info. Super nice guy, we've chatted on the phone several times.

Here's my Zastava lefty (I treated the wood with Behlen Master Gel):

MVIMG_20180116_091644.jpg

I've since mounted a NECG aperture on it
thruthepeep.jpg

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I have a pair of left handed a-bolt medallions, a 270 and a 300 winmag. They are my favorite lefty bolt actions. They both will shoot one hole groups at 100 yds.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The most accurate rifles also available in left hand has to be Tikka. The Ruger American in left hand for the $$$ is very interesting and accurate for a budget rifle.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
My son is a lefty.. His first gun was a youth model REM 700 SPS in 7mm-08. He took several deer with it his first couple years hunting... As he grew older he wanted a gun more like dads, a Marlin 1895XLR, which he has since taken some of his nicest bucks with... If you ask him what his favorite gun for a left handed shooter is.. He will be quick to tell you that it is his Marlin 1895XLR.

Reactions: gunscrewguy
1 - 20 of 33 Posts