Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded a Savage Axis/Edge for a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 and am wondering what everybody is using in their 7mm-08. I have four test loads loaded for when the weather here warms up and some of the snow disappears. They are all loaded with the Sierra 140 gr Prohunter bullet. The loads are as follows: 41 grs 4064, 46 grs IMR 4350, 42 grs 748 and 43 grs Varget. These powders is what I have on hand and by the Sierra manual they all should give me around 2800-2900 fps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've never used the powders that you have but I use the same bullet you do as well as Remington 140 gr, Cor-lok's. I've found that these 2 bullets work very well on deer with great expansion and maintaining the're initial weight also. I found that 48 grains of H414 to work well in my rifles and Encore pistols. Good luck and enjoy your 7mm-08. By the way, most of the deer in my area average 140+ lbs. Nothing like these Northeastern deer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was introduced to the 7mm-08 about a year ago and love that cartridge. You'll most likely find that it shoots a variety of combination very well. My go-to load is the Sierra pro hunter in 140 gr with 42 grains of Varget.

The only bullet that has given me erratic groups has been Nosler for whatever reason.

It likes 139 gr Hornady's as well but seated a little deeper in the case.

Give the Sierra 100gr a try as well using Varget.

I also have a 160 Sierra load of 37.5 gr of RL-15 that danced around an inch.

My gun (Browning X Bolt) responds to varying the seating depth so you might think about that when you start dialing things in.
Brett

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The last buck that I killed went 156 lbs field dressed and they're getting bigger due to the deer manage program that we have here in Pa.

woodyed said:
I've never used the powders that you have but I use the same bullet you do as well as Remington 140 gr, Cor-lok's. I've found that these 2 bullets work very well on deer with great expansion and maintaining the're initial weight also. I found that 48 grains of H414 to work well in my rifles and Encore pistols. Good luck and enjoy your 7mm-08. By the way, most of the deer in my area average 140+ lbs. Nothing like these Northeastern deer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts