Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In working with cast bullets loads in various cartridges I have found that certain cartridges seem to favor some powders while others give mediocre results. So I'm curious what are the types you use for various cartridges?

I like W296 in any of my bigger handguns in heavy cast loads.

I use any "standard" powder in my 30-30 cast bullet loads.

The 358 Win and 375 H&H seem to work well SR 4759.

H322 has always been a favorite in the 45-70 but more recently I am loading all my cast bullets with IMR 4198.

What do you use?

G

·
I have found RL-7 to be a good powder for cast bullets in the 30/30 and 30-06. And have used I&H4227 with both also. #2400 works pretty good for certain uses. I have the AA5744 and SR4759 that can work in about anything but I usually like bulkier powders like 4895, 4064, or 4320 besides the 4198.

Have used the H110 and W296 for heavy handgun loads but have started using LilGun (regular primers) recently because of excellent accuracy.

Bill

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
30-30: H4198, 3031, Rel.7, BLC-2
357: Lil Gun, H110, 2400, Unique, Universal
356 Win: H4198, rel. 7, H322, H335, Benchmark, Varget
375:1680, re. 7
444: H4198, Rel. 7,
45-70: 2400, H4198, IMR 4198, 3031, Rel. 7, H322, Titegroup, Universal, Unique, AA 5744, Benchmark, H4895, Varget

·
Registered
463 Posts
I only load cast bullets ( other then pistol ) in my 30-40 and 30-30, I like 3031 or 4064 and run them about 1800-1900FPS. They're accurate! :wink:

·
Registered
688 Posts
For my purposes I've had good luck with IMR SR4759. 8-12 gr. under any cast bullet in any .38-55 based case.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Gents,
I'm a big fan of the Alliant range, and now exclusively use them for all my reloading. Keeps the options a lil bit simpler, and the more familiar I become with the various speeds, the easier it gets. I just got a 8# jug of the new 410, and it's going very well in the 44Mag, and very impressive in the 25-20, both 'full house' velocities/loads.
It fills the gap between 2400 and Reloader 7. The other one I haven't quite got round to experimenting with much is Rx10, should be good for the 444 and 356Win. Also a candiidate for the 30-30 and the 32HPS I reckin.
Cheers,
R*2

G

·
Rrussell,

I'm a big fan of LilGun in my '94 Marlin 44mag and was curious about this 410. I know all the powders for the 410 make good magnum handgun powders like the H110-W296. Have you tried any LilGun and if so how does it compare to the Alliant 410? Also I like using regular primers with the LilGun for my Loads. What do you use with the 410?

I bought a can of the RL-10X because I thought, O Boy, a little slower than RL-7 for my 30/30 with light or hardcast bullets. I used RL-7 data for the few I've tried and got higher velocities than I thought I should have. I was waiting to see if any more data comes out for it. Also tried Benchmark for same purpose and that did fairly good for some uses but so far it seems both powders are made for the 22 centerfires and may not be as variable as RL-7 is. BM

Bill

·
Registered
316 Posts
BlueMoon said:
Rrussell,

I'm a big fan of LilGun in my '94 Marlin 44mag and was curious about this 410. I know all the powders for the 410 make good magnum handgun powders like the H110-W296. Have you tried any LilGun and if so how does it compare to the Alliant 410? Also I like using regular primers with the LilGun for my Loads. What do you use with the 410?

I bought a can of the RL-10X because I thought, O Boy, a little slower than RL-7 for my 30/30 with light or hardcast bullets. I used RL-7 data for the few I've tried and got higher velocities than I thought I should have. I was waiting to see if any more data comes out for it. Also tried Benchmark for same purpose and that did fairly good for some uses but so far it seems both powders are made for the 22 centerfires and may not be as variable as RL-7 is. BM

Bill
Bill,
I talked to the Alliant rep a while back about the 410 powder, and he said what with the backlog with their lab, it'll be ages before much data is available. Same same with the Rx10. You're taking much the same approach I am, use the faster speed powder as a start load basis and go from there, I'm slowly building a bank of chrono data with the aid of RCBS.Load. I do have a pound of Lil Gun, but the few times I've used the Hogdon range, I haven't been impressed with the accuracy vs the Alliant.
Prolly just me , and with the huge range of brands of powders, I'm not convinced that there is really too much difference in potential accuracy from one to another.
I avoid ball powders with their difficult ignitiion problems, and the warnings about reduced loads in eg. H110 give me the willies. My feeling is the double base extruded powders are less sensitive to SEE phenomena.
With primers I've been using Winchesters, but recently got a brick each of the Federal Match large and small rifle. Again, my approach is to reduce the potential for mixing stuff up, and having the one brand keeps it simpler at least.
With cast, almost exclusively what I shoot, I go for 'slow for caliber' powders and full cases as much as possible. I'm not looking for max velocities so much as accuracy, and will cheerfully sacrifice a hunnert of two fps for tighter groups. With cast, a long slow pressure curve I believe is easier on the boolit than a short sharp spike., Richard Lee in his 2nd Edition reloading Manual has some extensive data, and theories which I believe are spot on.
Accuracy is much more to do with the gun, the chamber, brass fit to same,
and bullet to throat fit/alignment IMHO than the focus so prevalent on so many reloading forums about powder type and load. Increasingly my experience is that most guns will shoot with most powders if you get the basics of getting the loaded round right for the individual firearm. Neck size and trim your brass, and get that throat/bullet seating depth correct consistently is the first step. Playing with a variety of powders, charges, and finally primer selection is the final 'fine-tune' stage in my quest for that one hole group.
The chronograph is my most important tool these days, and my next jump is to get the RSI pressure gauge system that attaches to the indiviidual firearm. Increasingly I'm coming to the conclusion that Your Mileage WILL Vary, so many variables with the individual handloader, powder/primer batches, and firearms, that "absolute values" are a holy grail that is unobtainable. Published data is a guide, but NOT cast in stone. Work up slowly to what suits your desired results, and to think someone else's data is going to work 'the same for you' is dangerous IMO.
Take care, and shoot safe! {:eek:)
Cheers,
R*2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts