Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

What is your favorite 22LR ammo for fox or coyote?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,950 Posts
I know that some folks here do not care for Remington's high velocity .22LR, but my little bolt action Marlin loves them. I think that the .22 LR is just a little light for coyote though. That is for the ones we have in Wisconsin. I am always amazed at the size of them compared to the ones out west.
Andrew

·
Registered
211 Posts
cci minimag HP not over 50 yds

Reactions: farmboy

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
If your gun will shoot'em Stingers or Yellow Jackets...
I've killed'em with light target ammo too though. Shot placement is King, they ain't livin if they ain't breathing!
The 22mag is Far Superior for this application. Its one wicked little bullet and will act tougher and do great things IN THE RIGHT HANDS!!!

BloodGroove4570

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I'm with oldfart. Dropped a few in the backyard with CCI minimags. All under 75 yards. A solid heart/lung shot was pretty effective.

I did go after one with a 10/22 with a mistakenly picked spare mag filled with standard bulk box solid point Rem's. The first one must have only stung him because he started jumping around like his pants were on fire. Then the remaining shots were a little difficult to place properly. Took the whole mag to stop the dance. Not pretty.

After that I only use bulk box stuff for plinking fun and high powered HP for real shooting. I don't care about hide damage as they can't pay me enough to skin a stinking, flea infested coyote. The buzzards thank me for my personal choices.

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
I'm an old school guy, I use CCI Mini-Mags or Winchester Super-X hollow points
works for me

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I was on my way to work one day and I always packed a old rem 514 single shot behind my truck seat. I was driving down the road and spied a big coyote about 100 yards out in some tall grass and he was just standing there. I had stingers in the gun and I shot at him and he just stood there, the second shot I held a litle higher and down he went. I went on to work and about 3 or four hours later I came back through so I thought I would walk out and look at him but he was not there and I saw some blood marks on the grass so I start following them and come up on him and he is broke down in the back and doesn't like the way I look so I put the finisher on him. We have lots of coyotes where I live but we also have quite a few red wolves which to me look like a super big coyote but reddish in color. I think for fox or coyotes that CCI mini mags HP's will work fine but as Blood Groove said, it would be hard to beat a 22 mag. It just hits a lot harder than a 22. We used to shoot a pretty tall dinger with our 22's and it would spin around on the base 3 or 4 times when you hit it but when you shot it with a 22 mag it would spin so fast you couldn't see it and it would turn the base over and the whole mess would be laying on the ground.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I've used CCI Velocitor out of a little Savage 22 and a 39A Golden with really good luck on yotes, so I assume it would do the job on anything smaller.

I will say that I've got a couple of 10/22s that the stuff is wasted in - it's too good for a 10/22 IMHO.

I'm down to a couple of thousand rounds of the stuff though, so I've been hoarding a little lately.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I shoot my Kimber of Oregon 82 I shoot Velocitors. Almost everything else gets whatever sub sonic is on hand. I have a Clark/Ruger 77-22 that loves SK+ and CCI Segmented Subsonic. I don't know how many hogs I've killed with those three rounds but it is more than two hundred and less than 1000. For a number of years Velocitors is the only rimfire ammo I would buy.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
22 magnum is the perfect choice for dog sized prey IMO, that is what I would go for, cats/skunks and smaller = 22lr. I guess If I only had a 22lr though I would go with some CCI Mini mag HP or Velocitors.

Here's how my calibers are used:

22lr = hunting anything up to about a cat in size, fun, plinking etc.
22 mag = hunting anything from about a cat to a really big dog/smallish deer/roe deer, my go to 100 yard paper puncher at range.
357 mag = hunting anything from dog to deer in size pretty much, also fun plinker and excellent home defense carbine.
30-30 = hunting anything dog sized and up.

22 mag is probably the most underrated caliber there is IMO. So many ppl overlook it and how extremely fun it is to shoot and also under estimate how deadly it really can be.

I realize this was WAY more information than the OP asked for but so be it. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
I took one down one night with a tracer 22 lr hit it just behind the ear at about 75 yds.. it was quite a sight to see in the dark, lit him up before he rolled. I did not shoot that on purpose as I thought I had a cci round i n the chamber, whoops out came a tracer. My teenage daughter thought it was the coolest shot ever, as it was most impressive.

I am like bloodgroove my song dog gun is a 22wmr 922m with night vision pulsar on top. It looks goofy but is a nice set-up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hard to beat CCI Velocitors, they'll bring out all the potential in your .22lr for hunting those critters. They've done very well for me out of my model 60 or my semi-auto Savage. Happy huntin'!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all who replyed. I only have a LR and finances :hmmmm: make it impossible to buy a new gun, so I have to make do.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Been using my Marlin 925M with CCI 40 grainH.P. for fox and coyote but not stretchin it any more than 60 yards. Bullet placement important and have taken 2 fox cleanly. Now to bag one with the Ruger American Compact. It is one sweet handy rifle with that 18 inch tube. just wish I could find the CCI brand all the time.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been using my Marlin 925M with CCI 40 grainH.P. for fox and coyote but not stretchin it any more than 60 yards. Bullet placement important and have taken 2 fox cleanly. Now to bag one with the Ruger American Compact. It is one sweet handy rifle with that 18 inch tube. just wish I could find the CCI brand all the time.

Thanks for the feedback! :tee:

Reactions: mauser9

·
Registered
55 Posts
I still have over a case of CCI Mini-Mag HP's from the 80's and rate them at the top along with Winchester HP's for the most accurate of all HP's. I think a couple have also already stated the same.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I still have over a case of CCI Mini-Mag HP's from the 80's and rate them at the top along with Winchester HP's for the most accurate of all HP's. I think a couple have also already stated the same.

Thank you!

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
i personally like winchester super X power points. when i was shooting 22's A LOT, i could put 10 shots in 1 ragged hole at 50 yards. when i tried to recover them in soft clay, they were perfect little mushrooms. my favorite cartridge for coyote's is whatever i'm hunting with when i'm deer hunting!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i personally like winchester super X power points. when i was shooting 22's A LOT, i could put 10 shots in 1 ragged hole at 50 yards. when i tried to recover them in soft clay, they were perfect little mushrooms. my favorite cartridge for coyote's is whatever i'm hunting with when i'm deer hunting!

I liked them too, but have not been able to find them lately. But I never used them on anything bigger than a wood chuck.
Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts