Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Favorite .357 Factory Hunting Ammo for the R92?

What's your favorite factory ammunition for the Rossi R92 in .357 Magnum? For use on whitetail, coyote, raccoon, oppossum, etc.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
My 24" shoots Winchester 145gr Silvertips very very accurately. But darn that stuff is pricey.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I've used Mag Tec and PMC 158 gr. soft points with good accuracy and about the same POI. They are the cheapest at our store, feed good and were very accurate in my 20" M 92. DP

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1 on the Remington 158 gr. soft points. At first my M92 didn't like them. Nose would catch on the feed ramp unless i hammered them. When I cycled them and shucked them out, they all had a divot in the nose. Some jewelers files, a Dremel buffing wheel and a quite a bit of Mother's Mag Wheel polish took care of that. Now they shoot better than anything else I've tried. Don't know what it was about that round, but it was the only one that gave me that problem

·
Registered
75 Posts
+1 on the Remington 158 gr. soft points. At first my M92 didn't like them. Nose would catch on the feed ramp unless i hammered them. When I cycled them and shucked them out, they all had a divot in the nose. Some jewelers files, a Dremel buffing wheel and a quite a bit of Mother's Mag Wheel polish took care of that. Now they shoot better than anything else I've tried. Don't know what it was about that round, but it was the only one that gave me that problem
I took my NIB 24" SS out this weekend. It would cycle Wincheter 130 grain .38sp and some .357 reloads I bought from the local indoor range (I'm guessing 110 grain?) but the Rem .357 125 grain JSP and Armscor 158 grain FMJ would jam in the loading ramp, barrel everytime. They had to be hand feed.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
After initial break in and the "clunkyness" started going away, mine has functioned well with every 357 ammo that I've tried in it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you, Willy...I think I'll look at getting a few hundred reloads from the local range. I was so impressed at how accurate this gun was. My son and I had a blast this past weekend. I just need better eyes :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
do any of nyou guys do your own reloading. in australia it is a way of life trying to get the most out of a cartridge, we would usually run 1200 rounds ayear plus helps keep the price down and give you the edge over the next guy.
Nelfoto

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone tried 200gr ammo? do they cycle & group OK?

·
Registered
593 Posts
After initial break in and the "clunkyness" started going away, mine has functioned well with every 357 ammo that I've tried in it.
Hey Willy - I should probably PM you, but while I'm reading this, and thinking of it . . .

You still have The Rossi 92? I just picked one up at a gun show Saturday (R92 56011 - Stainless .357 mag). It is pretty & NIB but I was disappointed when it choked on the dummy rounds I use in my Marlins. Just like the above posts, it hangs up on the feed ramp, nose up jamming into top of chamber opening. Sounds just like what Chipps177 & golfish5 are describing. I'm a major tinkerer, but don't really wanna mess with a file around my chamber opening. Know what I mean vern? Are you saying yours did at first, but after break in eat everything you threw at it? I ran a magazine of Magtech I had around, and it handled most of them OK. Just trying to learn a little about the idiosyncrasies of the R92. Any advice. Be gentle now :)

- hutch

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Hutch, starting about 1999 and continuing for several years, Rossi made the 92 in a version for Navy Arms that had real walnut and better fit and finish than the regular production 92s. I got mine in late summer of '99 and other than the aforementioned "clunkyness" which smoothed out with use, it's been the equal of any Marlin I've ever owned and is more accurate than any Marlin 1894 that I've owned. Now, it never has liked 38 Specials, but I haven't tried to use them other than when it was new so it might even feed them now. But I'm happy with it on a regular diet of 357s and not having to worry with cleaning the crud from 38s out of the chamber. Compared to my Marlin 1894C, it will feed any 357 that I run through it though. The Marlin doesn't like SWCs, the 1892 acts like there's no difference in them.

My only complaint with it has been it's tendency to launch the empty brass into low earth orbit. I keep saying that one of these days, I'll put a reduced strength ejector spring in it, but that's never really been a priority with me.

Attachments

Reactions: hutch

·
Registered
593 Posts
I took my NIB 24" SS out this weekend. It would cycle Wincheter 130 grain .38sp and some .357 reloads I bought from the local indoor range (I'm guessing 110 grain?) but the Rem .357 125 grain JSP and Armscor 158 grain FMJ would jam in the loading ramp, barrel everytime. They had to be hand feed.
Oh Man . . . you have an 1894CSS. I'm sooooooo envious. Been looking for one for about 2 years and not even seen one yet. If you ever decide to part with that, or wanna trade for a stainless 1894SS .44 mag (JM) + cash, PLEASE let me know? My Marlins seem to eat most anything, but I have a stainless Rossi 94 that simply can't digest JSP. It gobbles any ball ammo tho (FMJ). - hutch

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been looking for a 1894CSS for months. This "new" Marlin company sucks...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts