Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many Many years ago I use to reload for the 35 Rem using either Remington or Hornady 200gr bullets. I sold the rifle due to financial issues, but I just bought another one from a guy who no longer hunts. If my memory serves me correctly I used 37grs of IMR3031 powder and got decent accuracy with a velocity around 2100fps. I would like to know what you guys favorite loads are today. Also interested in loads for the Speer 180gr bullet and do you think the 180gr is a better bullet for deer hunting.

Thanks...Ed

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
My memory kinda sucks so I won't give a load from memory.

However, the search function is your friend. I know there are at least two good threads on reloading the 35 floating around here.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Many Many years ago I use to reload for the 35 Rem using either Remington or Hornady 200gr bullets. If my memory serves me correctly I used 37grs of IMR3031 powder and got decent accuracy with a velocity around 2100fps. I would like to know what you guys favorite loads are today. Also interested in loads for the Speer 180gr bullet and do you think the 180gr is a better bullet for deer hunting.
The handloading section has quite a few recipes, the trick is finding bullets, and powders that line up.

Most of the medium fast powders work well, and IMR3031 has been available from Natchez for weeks. It's as good as ever. Accurate has several that work well in the .35, just google Accurate Powders and download their guide. There are new specialty powders like LeveRevolution, sounds hokey, but may actually be the best in the .35, if it ever becomes available again. Of late, Hornady 200gr RN's have been available from Midway, and Speer 180/220's come and go fast if you spot them. I've waited for Sierra 200gr RN's, for months, still waiting. Brass, forget it. Just grab a couple boxes or three of loaded, any brand, and wait it out.

At the moment I have a fair supply of Hornady 200gr RN, and Speer 180/220gr bullets. If I was out, I'd grab a couple boxes of the Hornady bullets. It's still one of the best for accuracy in my .35, and it's a reliable and effective option.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I wish there was better load data for cast boolits for the 35 Rem... I find data for old boolits but really nothing for the RCBS 35-200, which seems to be the go to boolit for most people that cast for it.

Doc

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wish there was better load data for cast boolits for the 35 Rem... I find data for old boolits but really nothing for the RCBS 35-200, which seems to be the go to boolit for most people that cast for it.

Doc
Hi Doc,

I'm getting good results with both the RCBS 35-200 and 190 Ranch Dog using 42.7 gr of Leverevolution powder.

I don't think that one could stuff enough of that powder under a cast bullet to have too much pressure. I don't know what the velocity is but it shoots well.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
I love both Hornady Bullets, 200 RN, and 200 FTX behind a max charge of Leverevolution. Doesn't get much better than that !

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I'm having great accuracy with the NOE 200 Dropping at 215gr loaded with 24.5 gr IMR 4198. Of course its powder coated and gas checked:flute:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I have heard some good things about the LE powder but at this point I am done buying powders or primers.... I have enough.
Jim, I have the same mold and it drops at 212 as well. I have both the GC and PB version. I PC some of them and lube others, I use Copper gas checks on some and aluminum on others. Some I use as PB and others I put PBGC's on. I just havent got to load for accuracy yet because the only outdoor range close (over an hour each way) you can hardly ever get out and change targets... I have been there for hours and never have them call the range cold and let you out.

Oh well, maybe after I get up to Or. I will find a place there to work up loads.

Doc

·
Registered
741 Posts
Doc I am loading your 200gr (214gr) RCBS bullets with 31 gr of Reloder #7, Rem cases, and CCI 200 primers. It chromos 2063 fps out of my 336 35 Rem. I know its not a hot load, but it puts the hurt on hogs and is very pleasant to shoot and very accurate.
(BTW I got the other bullets in today and they were nicely packaged and in great shape. Thanks)

IMG_1420.JPG

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Djones,

That cast bullet mushroom looks fantastic. What is the brinell on it?

I gotta get me a mold for the 35 one of these days.

Reactions: Djones

·
Registered
913 Posts
My best load is 38.8 gr RL15 with a 200 gr Rem or Sierra. Very accurate. I use a Rem 9 1/2 primer with it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Djones,

That cast bullet mushroom looks fantastic. What is the brinell on it?

I gotta get me a mold for the 35 one of these days.
Half Wheel weights and half pure lead from sheathing sweetened with a little tin. Water dropped. I think the brinnel was around 15. I can't remember exactly.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I have heard some good things about the LE powder but at this point I am done buying powders or primers.... I have enough.
Jim, I have the same mold and it drops at 212 as well. I have both the GC and PB version. I PC some of them and lube others, I use Copper gas checks on some and aluminum on others. Some I use as PB and others I put PBGC's on. I just havent got to load for accuracy yet because the only outdoor range close (over an hour each way) you can hardly ever get out and change targets... I have been there for hours and never have them call the range cold and let you out.

Oh well, maybe after I get up to Or. I will find a place there to work up loads.

Doc
Doc, I guess I'm lucky, never been to a Range. Our deer camp is only 20 minutes away. We can shoot up to 125 yds. photo 5.jpg that's 4 holes out of the 16.25" chop job I did.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Doc, I guess I'm lucky, never been to a Range. Our deer camp is only 20 minutes away. We can shoot up to 125 yds. View attachment 118233 that's 4 holes out of the 16.25" chop job I did.

NICE!!! and thats another thing I really want.... a 16" barreled 35 or 45-70

Doc

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
CWT, THATS SOME NICE SHOOTIN'! was that at 100 yards? i'm gonna try that load! what rifle did you shoot it from?
That was at 55 yrds.. 1983 336cs 35 rem.. 90 % of my shots are less than 60 yrds around here..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts