Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tomorrow is Father's Day, but I'll work tomorrow night at the Sheriff's Office, so Today was my day.

My family asked me this morning what I wanted to do for Father's Day, and the answer was easy. The only thing I wanted to do was take the whole family to the range for some fun. They all smiled and ran to go load the truck with guns and ammo. I figured we'd have our own little Quigley in honor of all the fun our fellow MO's are having in Montana.

Once there, Sweet Pea put on a shooting exhibition with her vintage Ruger Bearcat -

That "oh Dad . . ." smile kind of worries me as she heads off to high school . . . . yup, more gray hair on the way.

After a couple hours of plinking with the 22's, we busted out the Marlin 1893 38-55 built in 1894 that I recently traded for.

It's now sporting a MVA Soule and I'm happy to have loaded ammunition (thanks to fellow MO's donating some components to the cause). I've worked a few loads and have narrowed it down to two. Today I was shooting .380 sized 280 grain gas-checked slugs over 10 grains of Unique. This old Marlin has a great bore and today I shot better than usually do. Here's a three shot group at about 60 yards -

Water Hand Drop

All touching . . . my son Wildman shot even better groups but we didn't get pics that turned out.

Excited with the load, we headed over to the Cowboy Range and Jersey Girl was feeling confident . . . with this sight setting -

Zipper Jacket

It was pretty deadly at 350 yards as seen here -

Jersey Girl said "I really like this rifle" . . . . . . I've lost more rifles that way . . . . "adopted" by my wife . . . a GOOD problem to have. :biggrin: Listen close and you'll hear her say that she forgot to breathe after the first shot. She knows how to focus, just needs to remember to breathe. :)

So then Wildman wanted a go, he settled in and hit 3 for 3 at 350 yards when I realized I'd not hit "record" on the video. I was heartbroken I'd missed his shooting prowess.

Wildman shrugged and said, "no problem, I'll do it again" and here is the video of that -

After this, Wildman said, "Dad, I think you meant 6 for 6". Well he was correct - six shots with the rifle at 350 yards, six hits. Kid's got great eyes like I used to.

But, as we all know, all good things had to come to end. All three of my kiddos, Wildman, Sweet Pea, and big sister Munch, were volunteering with Wildman's Boy Scout Troop tonight collecting trash as the local Parker Days Festival. So we packed it all up and headed home. I'm still smiling.

I'm a lucky man. :biggrin:

B

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
You had a GREAT Fathers Day! Congrats to you! Always wonderful to have the family go shooting with you. Now that my kids are out of school, trips to the cabin will be more fun for me. DP

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
bbri,

What a great thread and videos. But as nice as family time is, even better is when the kids are out of the house! :biggrin:
Your end of day should also be pretty good! :date:

John

·
Registered
661 Posts
Brian,
It doesn't get much better than than that. I've "lost" a few firearms the same way and you're right, It's not a bad problem to have.
Happy father's day buddy.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
You are indeed! What a great way to spend Father's Day!

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
One of the perks of being a great dad!

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
That's great... enjoyed the vids too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.