Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it?

My fastest was the old 1980 Suzuki GS 750. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I bought that thing. Four cylinders with four valves per. Four carbs. Couple of camshafts. Five gears. Three disc brakes for only two wheels! Yee Haw, I thought I had the King of the Road. Except I knew I hadn't bought the GS 1100, which really was about the fastest/quickest thing avail back then.

My Triumph 900, many years later, didn't even come close. The Suzuki 650 I'm riding now feels shockingly close, at least up to 60 or 70 mph. I think because it's substantially lighter and fuel injected.

As far as riding... I have ridden a few pretty doggone fast bikes. I'm impressed, and almost get sucked into buying one, but always resist...

My son's Yamaha FZ8 is the highest performance motorcycle I've ridden in the past couple of years and it's more of a mid-range performance bike, not a true top-dog super sport.

Rode one of those Kawasaki 600 crotch-rocket things... Oh my goodness... Nothing, nothing, POW! Oh yeah, we got POWER. I can only imagine the 1000 cc versions...

Every now and again I get the urge to just buy a Hayabusa. I like the looks. Or a Kawasaki ZX14... Something big and bad. I don't know why... I'd get from point A to point B just as fast on my 650, but dang, my bike would sure look bad if I rolled up on one of those top shelf super sport bikes...

Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,464 Posts
05 Kawasaki KX125... may not have the top speed of an I4 Super sport, but from 1-6th and whatever top speed it had it would burn them all. The front wheel never knew what the ground felt like.

As far as street bikes go, what I currently own is pretty much the fastest.

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
I just sold a Suzuki gsxr 600 because it wanted me dead.
At 48 I still could not resist the urge to break 100mph each time I got on it.Last fall, I had a doe run run across the road 60 yds ahead of me on interstate 93 at dusk.Had she stopped, I would have been toast.I'm kind of an adrenaline junkie,But I'm not looking to kill myself.If this bike did not scare you,you were not breathing.Amazing the power they get out of a 600cc these days.This bike would eat the Honda 1100 and the fatboy Harley I owned prior.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I also owned a Honda V65 Sabre. Mine was 1985. Honda's add said " o to 60 faster than u can read this (3.2 seconds ). Standing quarter 11.11 seconds At 124 mph
Rode it for 4 years just under 60,000 miles back in the single days

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I've ridden a few High abusers, and they are fast but, at the same time, so easy to ride and I can't think of a single good reason not to own one, except the fact that I need my licence.

I test rode a Triumph Rocket 111 roadster a few months ago and that was pretty impressive too.

U Tube has a lot of videos of people riding super bikes.

Some of the new ones are mind blowing. Too fast for this old bloke.:biggrin:

Mark.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I've ridden " slow twin cyl " stuff except for ONE time I rode a Katana ( sp ? )
I was SO smooth , I couldn't tell ( feel ) how fast I was going and I got kinda uneasy when I looked at the speedometer. I have been riding for a long time, I was NOT used to this at all. I can see how easy it would be for a novice rider to get one like this ( any crotch rocket really ) and go into a curve too fast and not be able to pull out of it.
I very cautiously eased it back to his house and do NOT want to ride one like that again.
My big ole slow , vibrating HD FEELS like 70 when I'm going 70. Those super bikes feel like 35 when doing over 100. Sorta like riding an electric motor.
BoB

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
I've ridden " slow twin cyl " stuff

My big ole slow , vibrating HD FEELS like 70 when I'm going 70.
That's the way I like them too. I rode a '72 HD Sportster for over 8 years. I brought it up to 100 just one time and it felt like 100 !!

That bike had long Chrome Straight Pipes on it. Once I hit 100 and let off, it played music for about a half hour.

Bill

·
Registered
910 Posts
the one that scared me the most was a three cyl 500 kawasaki i test drove at ridgecrest ca in 1969, it made the 750 royal enfield i was riding at the time feel like a moped

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
1976 Kawasaki 903cc Z3 Straight 4Cyl.
I Weighed 150lbs at the time & Couldn't Keep the Front Wheel On the Ground.
Even w/ Me All up on the Bars it Would Burn Rubber all the way thru 5th Gear.
Just Twist the Throttle Hard & Bang the Shifter 1-2-3-4-5.
Front End Wouldn't Touch Down until you Let Way Off.
Too Much Bike 4 Me. Drove it for 2 Weeks & Took it Back.
Crazy Fast Bike Back In the Day!
Ended up w/ a 650 Yamaha Twin.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
443 Posts
It was a 1976 Suzuki GT750 that I owned back in the late 70's. That thing was insanely fast for it's day. With the 2 stroke engine it had instant power to the back wheel. The ole water buffalo was certainly fast considering how much it weighed.

These days I ride a Road King. Definitely not as quick as the GT750, but certainly a lot more comfortable. Did I mention that I have a GT750 that I found last year. I am restoring it to its former glory and hopefully will have it on the road next summer. It's even the same color as the one I had back in the 70's.

Jim

·
Registered
181 Posts
Suzuki GS1150ES.

This picture is not my bike but looks to be exactly like mine was. This picture is supposed to be a 1985.
I got mine up to 150. 70 MPH in 1st gear - what a rush. I was loving life. Thank god that bike was stolen. It may have killed me otherwise.

Suzuki-GS1150ES.JPG

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Started with a old honda super sport 400, was an amazing little bike.
Moved to a suzuki gpz550, was fun i guess
Suzuki rf900, was a nice sport touring bike, stolen.
Best bike i ever owned was a Hinda VFR 750, hands down all around great machine.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Had an 02 honda superhawk that was definatly quick. Currently running a triumph rocket 3 roadster, and really debating putting a motor kit to push it to 240ish hp... currntly im nervous about just pounding the throttle, so ill just have to see. Love the bike though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have an '85 Honda Sabre 1100cc of pure unadulterated power. Here she is as it sits in the garage, I have changed the windscreen to a plexi-fairing and added a KG rack and trunk. But it is now more for comfort as I am older. But runs she does.
23.jpg Sabre.gif

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I still own the fastest I've had,but my back doesn't like a lot of time on it anymore.2005 Honda fireblade (cbr1000rr) in repsol colours. Even though I don't ride much now,I don't have the heart to sell it. Damn glad I didn't have one when I was 20 or I wouldn't be here. Truly scary fast but so easy to handle. My skill level never even came close to what it could do.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Too right Mac. All those litre sports bikes are absolute rockets and their handling and brakes is mind blowing.

Mark.

Reactions: Macoz and M700

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
in the mid 70s i rode a bike a friends friend had, a 350 Honda dirt bike, man that thing was fast on the dirt!

Reactions: slamfire and M700
1 - 20 of 90 Posts