Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing this is a H&R sight I was wondering does anyone have one of those fancy model 38/55 or the 45-70 ? I can't remember the model name but they are the ones with nice stocks and peep sights.
Anyway how do they shoot. And have any of you shot them with cast bullets and or black powder ?

Just curious, Thanks >>Tombstone

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I have both a 38-55 and 45-70. They shoot very well with cast bullets, neither of mine have ever seen a jacketed bullet other than factory test fire I suppose. I haven't tried black powder, but read about those who have with favorable results.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
The Target Model with 245 gr Cast and Unique surprised me so much I haven't tried anything else. I have a Marbles Peep on it, changed to low front Globe sight and have range to 400 + yards with that light load. Everytime we go shooting, we all end up taking turns at a long range gong with the 38-55. Very mild recoil and it puts them right where you point, which may not be good. Only problem I have is the fouling from the Unique, more of smoke covering, will gum the ejector, but if I keep it clean and not too much oil, it's 100 rounds or so before it sticks. Other powders have not been a problem. From bench with the peep sight, it can consitently put 3 holes touching at 50 yards and peep dialed in for range, 18 x 24" gong is hit nearly every time at 400 yards if you can dope the wind, keep barrel temp reasonable,

G

·
I have had the Buffalo Classic in 45-70 in my hands before and it seemed pretty nice :D I believe Gander Mountain wanted $399.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to hear someone has one of these rifles. I have been thinking of buying one but haven't talked to anyone that had one.
I thought if they had good barrels they would shoot good.
Have any of you sluged the bores ?
Thank for the Info>>> Tombstone

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
My 38-55 is .3792, other is .3793 45-70 is .4579 using Chinese Mic's. I size .380 and .459. 459 shoots a little better than .458 with plain base, same with gas check.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have had much better luck with the .38-55 Target than the .45-70 Buff Classic as far as accuracy is concerned, but I am using a .379 jacketed 220-grain bullet that is hand-swaged. I hope to try cast in my rifle, too.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Bill, ya need to drop by the Graybeard Outdoors NEF/H&R forum, lots of BCs there that shoot moa to 1½moa with peep sights. I have 2 BCs, one in 45-120 form and another scoped 45-70. I also have a 38-55 Target that is now a 405 Winchester that shoots moa scoped. I think the limitation of the peep sights is more shooter than the rifle! There are shooters at GBO that shoot moa out to 500yds with there BCs with the Williams FP target sight. Check out Dodd3, for one that I can remember right off hand. I shoot mostly gas checked cast in the BCs, but some jacketed, too...the 405gr Rem mainly.

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=126

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tim: Thanks for the thoughts. I know some fellas are getting decent performance from their BCs. I just had a harder time, especially in contrast with the .38-55 TC. I don't go to GBO much anymore as the owner seems to be too big for his hat, but I know there are some great posters and great info there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oregon Bill, were you banned at GB's? If not how about coming back? We could always use another member of the clan sitting around the fire and talking about Handi's. Bill (GB hisself!) is not a bad guy, he just wants to keep the site a nice place so families and kids can visit. There is room for you buddy, if you decide to come back....<><.... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts