Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had this little Model 510 in the gun closet now going on about 6 months. I have avoided touching this thing like it is carrying some kind of plague. Why have such an aversion to working on a little single shot .22 bolt action. It belongs to family.

Don't get me wrong here. Don't mind doing the work for family. Doing the work for the family rate ... $0.00. Don't mind going the extra mile to do some little extras. I just really dislike doing stuff and never knowing how it is really accepted - 'cause all the feedback your gonna get is the - "it's great and that's exactly what I wanted and couldn't be any better and on an on with the platitudes" and you are left with an endless outcome of never really knowing. I really hate that.

I am on hold on the Stevens 311 and the Stevens 77D projects. To complete these 2 projects I need to paint the Aluminum Trigger Guards. I tried a new paint, on recommendation from a couple of guys on forums, on the Aluminum Trigger Guard on the Savage Model 342 Hornet. A paint used to paint outdoor grills. Was touted as just the "dinktum". Well it wasn't. My go to paint for Aluminum has always been Dura Coat. But the darn stuff is expensive in the rattle can form I have used. Works great but there is a lot of waste if you don't have 3 or 4 guns to paint. Once the Dura Coat rattle can is prepped to use - you have to use the entire can or as much of it as you are going to use in about 4 hours then the can becomes clogged and useless and the mixed paint starts to cure and harden.

So I am waiting. Embarking on a new path here. Have toyed back and forth with airbrush painting. Using an air brush allows me to buy the Dura Coat paint and it's Activating Agent in Small 4 oz. bottles. I can use as little or as much as I need without wasting a lot of paint and money.

I have a new airbush kit and small air compressor on the way. Should be here today or Saturday. We will see how this goes.

All of that to say the 3 or 4 day delay provided the opportunity for the Model 510 Project. Gun belongs to my brother in law. The gun belonged to his paternal grandfather. So it is a stem to stern refurb. Furniture and metal.

A few before pics:

Had an Uncle's name - address - and phone number on the stock with Marks a Lot. I did a little retouching and removed a lot of it for this pic.

Have started work on the furniture and the metal ... more pics when the work gets a little farther along.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've got a 194sumptin Model 510 in the safe. It's in the about the same shape as yours is. The thing about that old single shot, is that it shoots dime size groups at 50 yds. with open sights. The Remington 5-teen rifles are all great rifles. I wished my CZ shot as good as that old Remington. I've also got a Model 511 that's in a little better shape, and it ain't bad either.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I have one. My Dad bought it in the 30's. It is an absolute tack driver. Or was, I left it barrel down in a gun bag beside the safe and was gone for a week. When I returned, something had leaked in the shop and badly corroded the last 3 or 4 inches of the barrel. I could see the floor had been wet and then dried up but never figured it out for sure.
My Dad talked about it being a deluxe model because it had a shell bed to lay the cartridge on and didn't have to stick it in the chamber.

Reactions: Gareth Holland

·
Registered
526 Posts
My dad bought me the smoothbore version when I was a kid. Countless rats and blackbirds fell to that little gun. When I was in college, Dad wrapped it in an old wool Army blanket and stored it in the attic. When I found it, it had a furry stock. The finish had liquified in the extreme heat and stuck to the wool. I disassembled it, planning to refinish it, but it remained forgotten in a closet, and I think the "ex" trashed it after the divorce.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've got a 194sumptin Model 510 in the safe. It's in the about the same shape as yours is. The thing about that old single shot, is that it shoots dime size groups at 50 yds. with open sights. The Remington 5-teen rifles are all great rifles. I wished my CZ shot as good as that old Remington. I've also got a Model 511 that's in a little better shape, and it ain't bad either.

I am sure this one is being refurbed to become a training rifle for grand kids. Will be a 5th generation firearm. From Grandpa to his Son then his Sons and now to their Sons and Daughters.

Brother in law who is the owner is a big time hunter and gun owner. Hunts all over the world - literally ... This little firearm will reside in the safe with some really nice fire power. Needs to be able to hold it's own around all of the nicely dressed and outfitted friends it will be around.

:afraid::afraid: Can't have the little guy put in a situation where it is going to feel inferior.
:afraid::afraid:

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
I know what you mean about family! I am a transmission rebuilder, if I had the money my family should have paid me I could get a few nice old marlins! but it works both ways. my brother is a master carpenter, I am not, he has done a bunch for me, including building the cabin I live in! he probably thinks the same way,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I know what you mean about family! I am a transmission rebuilder, if I had the money my family should have paid me I could get a few nice old marlins! but it works both ways. my brother is a master carpenter, I am not, he has done a bunch for me, including building the cabin I live in! he probably thinks the same way,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In this relationship with my brother in law I come out way on the LONG end. He is a retired Veterinarian and he has taken care of our animals for years for free or at a VERY reduced cost. We get to share in his Mountain home during the year. He has a few pieces of large equipment that I use every once in a while at no charge. HE gives of his time and effort around my place during the year. Through the years I have done computer work for him personally and for his business so it is a good back and forth give and take.

The $$$$ have nothing to do with the hesitation, just the "unspoken" that leaves me hanging.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the initial strip and sanding done on the stock. All that ever does is to reveal all the stuff you couldn't see plus it just always seems to make the obvious stuff look worse. LOL

In reality there are several deep gouges, some deep holes and lots of just impact and banging damage. Gonna be fun getting all of these out. Holes marked with boxes and other damage is circles.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And 3 1/2 hours later we have this. Some of the damage spots were pretty tough to get out. Just going to need a final sanding before the finish apps are applied. I think it is going to be a really attractive stock. It's going to have some nice contrast in the grain patterns.

It is amazing to me what you can make disappear with a little creative repair work.

Still in the back and forth thinking on making a white Butt Plate Spacer for this one. Right now am leaning toward yes but wondering about putting it on an 80 year old gun. Being a little target rifle I am thinking it would look o.k. ...

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have one. My Dad bought it in the 30's. It is an absolute tack driver. Or was, I left it barrel down in a gun bag beside the safe and was gone for a week. When I returned, something had leaked in the shop and badly corroded the last 3 or 4 inches of the barrel. I could see the floor had been wet and then dried up but never figured it out for sure.
My Dad talked about it being a deluxe model because it had a shell bed to lay the cartridge on and didn't have to stick it in the chamber.
Here in my part of the country, we called that little thing in the bottom of the receiver a "night loader". Just drop a round in the receiver and it points the nose of the round into the chamber as the bolt is pushed forward. It beats the heck out of trying to find the chamber to start the round in before closing the bolt while out hunting in the dark. It works good in the daylight, too. Remington Model 510s and 510-Xs are the only single shot .22 rifles that I've ever seen with the night loader. I believe that all of those rifles had them. The later 5-teen single shots didn't have it, nor did any other brand of rifle.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just a quick note here ... probably something nearly everyone but me knows but thought I would pass it along. Just some more of the useful useless knowledge that you get exposed to working on these old firearms.

The little half moon notch here is not a feature of every 510 stock. I saw several stock pictures of 510's on the internet that did not have this void in the top line of the stock. After some further search effort I found this notch is an accommodation for a Rear Peep Site. The receiver for the gun I am working on is not tapped for the site but the stock is peep site ready. The OEM peep sites go for $130.00 + for the couple I saw on eBay. Unusual site design is needed to allow for removal of the bolt while the site is installed.

The link below is to a video that shows the site and how is works if anyone is interested in seeing it.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=Awr9D272Lo5cmzUAMzY0nIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBzM2wzMzdjBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMjI-?p=attaching+a+REMINGTON+PEEP+SIGHT+FOR+MODEL+510&vid=8b9d5f97633b8b276055eab1487d71ba&turl=https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OVP.kTJqUVv6cXpEg8oWwVfLrwEsDh&pid=15.1&h=225&w=300&c=7&rs=1&rurl=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC2uUh9P_ZQ&tit=My+70+Year+Old+Remington+510+P+Targetmaster+22+Bolt+Action+Single+Shot+Rifle&c=21&h=225&w=300&l=409&sigr=11bicqa65&sigt=12cjovim7&sigi=12r57h4ti&age=1541523948&fr2=p:s,v:v&fr=yhs-iba-1&hsimp=yhs-1&hspart=iba&tt=b

Another note - the stock is going to be an eye catcher ... got the first application of finish on yesterday. It is a different color. Just the TruOil and no stain. Only 11 more apps to go.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Your link showed how the night loader worked pretty good. I'd love to find the peep sighted version. IMHO, the single shot .22 is the perfect beginners rifle, and hardly anyone makes them anymore. I find that a shame.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your link showed how the night loader worked pretty good. I'd love to find the peep sighted version. IMHO, the single shot .22 is the perfect beginners rifle, and hardly anyone makes them anymore. I find that a shame.
Making a generic 510 stock Peep Site ready would be nothing. From what I have seen the standard stock and the peep sight stock are made the same with the standard just being short the half moon notch.

I am sure a guy could find someone in a forum, a video or written instructions on the tap placement for the mounting screws for the peep site. Then the question becomes to you want to shell out the big bucks necessary to acquire the peep site. You would have a pretty good investment with the cost of a "PEEP SITELESS" 510 and the cost of the site piled on top.

They are a really nice size and weight little rifle. A stock shortened one with a shorter length of pull would really be nice. I don't know how the balance would be with a long 24" barrel sticking out there and the shorted stock.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm not really interested in altering my rifle, but if I found one in a pawn shop somewhere, I'd be all over it. Besides, it would be easy just to mount a Foolproof just in front of the bolt handle, and be done with it. That way, there would be no need to move the sight to remove the bolt from the rifle.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm not really interested in altering my rifle, but if I found one in a pawn shop somewhere, I'd be all over it. Besides, it would be easy just to mount a Foolproof just in front of the bolt handle, and be done with it. That way, there would be no need to move the sight to remove the bolt from the rifle.

I wouldn't be either
- but in the case of I want it that more than I don't want to mess with my rifle - want sometimes wins out.

I really like this Peep Site for the 510. A nifty piece of design and engineering. Wouldn't mind having one.

I live a lot of time in the Mossberg world of the 1930's through the 50's. Peep Sites for some of them are very hard to come by and few and far between for any amount of money you might want to lay out. Another thing in that world is the Sling Rings -- good luck on finding those. Can find the mounts but no rings. I have been searching for 2 1/2 years off and on for some. Found my first set on eBay the other day.

I will not say what I paid for them ...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Back to the task at hand ... have 1/4 of the finish apps applied. There is no stain here. Natural wood color with just the oil applied. Quick Sneak Peek at the stock :

Sanded and did some chisel work on the Bolt Handle Slot. Also sanded out, reshaped the Bolt Channel. Removed all of the oil damaged surface wood in the Bolt Channel. It will be finished just like the stock surface. Quite a bit of the surface is visible when the bolt is in place in the receiver. Little things, but to me they make a difference to me and are just part of the refinish.

Knock down sanded and removed the damaged surface wood from the Barrel Channel. Sanded smooth and will be finished the same a the stock surface. Just protection for the the next 80 year run.

pics cont. next post:

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stock pics cont.:

Working on the metal in between finish apps. The barrel and receiver had a lot of pitting ... some of it very deep ... it has been a long road filled with PIT falls gettin' the metal prepped. Some pics after I get a little further along on it.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The Barrel and Receiver have their bluing completed ( there was lots and lots of sanding work done on this one - the pitting was much deeper overall than it first appeared ). I also have the Trigger Guard bluing done.

The Bolt Assembly is 99% completed - Handle and components rear of the handle are blued. The bolt forward of the handle has been worked on repairing as much of the pitting and wear and tear damage as I could and then polishing. There is one thing left to do on the bolt assembly. I need to repaint the red "Safety" dot by the Safety Release and also paint the red ring around the Firing Pin indicator that protrudes behind the bolt when the gun is cocked.

I have all of the smaller components and screws prepped for bluing and will get that done today.

The Butt Pad has been spruced up. Repaired a couple of chipped out areas along the edge, smoothed down the edge all the way around. Removed the damage to the smooth areas on the face of the Butt Plate. Decided not to put a Butt Pad Spacer on this gun.

Have one more app of finish to complete. Hopefully the little 510 can be reassembled late this afternoon or early this evening. I am anxious to see it back together.

I will test fire as soon as I can. I have new "toy" I need to get set up. The Brother in Law who this gun belongs to is a member of and Director in Safari Club International. Their annual banquet was 2 weeks ago. As a yearly thing my wife and I are invited to the banquet and sit at his business table. They have all sorts of raffles and auctions. 95% of all that is way out of my $$$$ reach. But I do buy some of the less expensive drop your ticket in the bucket tickets for items like bows - scopes - knives - hunting equipment - and a lot of items in the $50 to $450 range. My wife and I split what I buy and we go and do I our drop in the bucket thing. Three years ago I won a package deal with a range finder, a pair of binoculars, and a digital compass - about $400 worth of stuff. This year I won a Range Gong. 10" round free standing target.

We are supposed to have nice weather today so I may get that done.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts