Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 336W, last 4 times I went to the range (over about 8 weeks) I had at least one failure to feed. It ejected fine- but by the time I turned the rifle over and looked into the breech, the new round wouldn't come all the way out/up/ I mean, it's like the rim hit the ejector, and the bullet couldn't go rearward enough to be elevated up- and of course the bolt wouldn't close- the bullet was pointing about 45 degrees down, rim against ejector.
Called Marlin, they said they'd send me a new ejector- it came Thursday. He said try that, then if still had a problem call him back- then maybe we'd send it back.
I know it's tough to diagnose without holding it in your hands, but if anyone has suggestions- what to watch for- I'd appreciate it.
I always us either Core-lokt or the Win SP, if that helps any. Seems like all I've used the last 3 trips was Core-Lokt.
By the way I'd like to lighten the trigger up some- if I have to send her back, would y'all recommend letting Marlin do it while it's there? Or just get the Happy and let my local guy do it. (Assuming the Happpy trigger is what I want.) My trigger is smooth- it's just really heavy.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Chuck 1217,
Sometimes it is very hard to figure things out over the internet. But let see if we can get some more information on the situation. Did you take a picture of what it looked liked? Can you duplicate what happened and then take a picture and show us what you are seeing? Take it and post it into this thread. If you don't know how to post a picture, PM me for some help.
What vintage is your rifle? is it a JM or REM stamp on the barrel? or just post the first couple digits of your serial number and we can figure it out from there. Have you been experiencing any other issues? Ever have any issues when cycling when the rifle is empty?
It nice to know the there is some customer service still alive and well. Many Marlin triggers are a little heavy, while still being smooth. Yes a happy trigger kit will fix you up, however if read down into the gunsmithing forums you can find some really good information on doing this task yourself. If you are not comfortable doing this type of work, then by all means get your local gunsmith to do a trigger job for you. I try and keep my match shooting rifles at around 2 and 3/4 pounds to 3 pounds of trigger pull. My hunting rifles I try keeping right at 3 1/2 to 4 pounds.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Are you confusing the extractor with the ejector? Check the stickies in the gunsmithing section, especially the one's by "Swany". There a couple of good how-to's for both feeding issues with the extractor, and also a simple trick to lighten trigger pull. Do some reading on the forum. There is a wealth of info. at your finger tips, and you can do it all yourself. I know, because I've been there and done that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back to this, had to go out of town.
No, I can't make it malfunction, and though I have tried, it has only happened while firing at the range. So no pics I'm afraid. It's a brand new (5 months) 336W 30-30. (edit- Doesn't seem to happen with a cold barrel- ? I'll pay more attention to that Thursday if I get to go. Also try to get a pic.)
It's the ejector- the piece that comes out after you remove the bolt. You know how the open end faces the barrel- the new round, when it pops up, the rim seems to hit that and it keeps the nose of the bullet from coming up- the round has the base against the ejector, but the nose is pointed about 45 degrees downward. So the bolt won't close.
As to lightening the trigger- I know I want it lighter, my only question was, would yall think it better to let Marlin do it- or would it be just as good- maybe cheaper? to let my local smith do it? I have read all those threads about doing it myself, but I'm thinking I'd rather a pro do it- and maybe have him polish anything rough while he's in there, know what I mean? 4 or 5 pounds would be fine with me- it feels like about 12 right now.
Hope to get to the range Thursday with the new ejector- that will tell us something I hope.

·
Registered
445 Posts
well.. the lever and lifter have lost enough iron to slip.. I know where the problem lies, but I'm here and you are there.. tig- welder and a file time...

if you go really fast with the action, it probably will work every time????

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wondered about how I was working the action- at times I do open the bolt- sit for a second before closing it. But I wouldn't think that SHOULD effect feeding- but I've been wrong before. I don't know about the specific incidents of failing to feed, ya know, you don't really anticipate the misfeed.
Oh, I've only fired about 120-180 rounds from it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts