Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on here. I have been reading stuff on here for a while though.

The gun is a Marlin 1895 GBL bought new in early 2019. The ammo is Hornady Leverevolution.

It seems the round gets stuck going into the chamber after the carrier drops. Even when working the gun fast. It doesn't always do this, but it happens fairly often.

I thought maybe the carrier or lever had an issue or burr, but I don't see anything wrong with them. (this is my first lever gun, so I may have missed something, but they look fine compared to internet pictures)

I don't think its the extractor, since it sometimes jams without yet reaching that far up the bolt face.

NOW, there are brass bits left around the chamber. So I am assuming that area just needs some polishing. The front of the round does appear to make it into the chamber, but the edges bite into the brass instead of sliding along it.

Any other ideas or suggestions? Am I on the right track?

Would the bolt face need any polishing? If so, how would you do that? I would think you need to be very careful with that little lip.

Also, when should the carrier drop? I was wondering if maybe the carrier was dropping too soon. Does it just stay up just long enough to get the front of the round into the chamber?

Thanks in advance for the help. I am mainly wanting to make sure the parts are okay and just need polishing. I am planning on using this for wildlife defense when I venture out into the backcountry, so I want to make sure it works smoothly and reliably.

·
Super Moderator
17,411 Posts
Welcome from Alabama...

My 30-30 did the same thing... I didn't think it was reaching the extractor either, but it was.

I did trim and polish a little around the opening in the barrel too...

Try this link...

·
Super Moderator
35,978 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
789 Posts
I would work on the extractor first, as suggested. Filing on the rifle would be a last resort. Cycle it slowly in an upright position and watch very carefully so you know what is really going on. I have had 2 .45-70s that needed the extractor pried out a bit. That part is replaceable while overdoing metal removal is not. The Hornady should feed as it does not have a large blunt front. By the way welcome, you will get it going.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have previous worked on the extractor. I flexed it out and even polished up the surfaces on it. At one point I thought I had it fixed, but the issue still remained.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Messed around with the extractor a bit. If I hold the rifle almost any way other than "normal", then it seems to chamber the round okay, even working the gun somewhat slow. Held normally (as if you were shooting it), it only binds up sometimes.

Perhaps I am not working the lever fast enough? When the carrier drops away, is when the back of the round falls and then binds up. I suppose if a guy was working the lever hard enough then the force on the back of the cartridge would keep it from falling away.

Does anyone have the same thing happen if they work their gun slow? I knew you had to work them fast, but wasn't really sure how fast is fast.

Maybe a combination of things. New gun that needs broke in combined with the leverevolution rounds which are a touch shorter?

Any other thoughts or things to try?

·
Super Moderator
17,411 Posts
Marlins like the action to be worked with "authority"... Don't work it slow and easy...

·
Registered
505 Posts
A very frustrating problem with an otherwise great rifle. I've owned a good number of Marlins and encountered the jams that are a true source of irritation to the owner/shooter. I've had issues with two 1895s (both JMs) and a .444S.

Typically, simply disassembling and careful reassembly along with a cleaning will cure the jams. However a 2006 GG has been particularly problematic. The rifle was just returned from GS #4, and his shop in Texas.

His particular site offers "action jobs" on Marlins that claim to eliminate the dreaded "Marlin jam". Once function tested with the specific ammo (LE) that I wanted it to be able to utilize, it worked great with a single round in the tube, but jammed up immediately once 3 rounds were loaded.

I took several pictures of the jammed shell on two occasions before disassembling. The fella that worked on it immediately sent a new ejector to me to install and try.

Fingers crossed here, but not feeling particularly confident. To make full disclosure here, this rifle is an equal opportunity jammer. It will jam with any ammo that's loaded. But, I was wanting the LE to work because this rifle is extremely accurate with that stuff.

Good luck with your rifle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TnHunter, did you make sure that the mag tube follower is of the correct type for LE ammo? The older followers had trouble, but newer ones were changed at some point. Just something to double check.

·
Registered
505 Posts
TnHunter, did you make sure that the mag tube follower is of the correct type for LE ammo? The older followers had trouble, but newer ones were changed at some point. Just something to double check.
Thanks for your reply. I'm very familiar with the follower issue with the LE ammo in all most all chamberings. I actually used a 265gr FTX with the tip yanked off as the initial round in my 1980 .444S so as to prevent any jamming in it. And as I mentioned, with tipped or FN ammo it still jams. I could have decided against using the LE stuff (as my Henry is also quite accurate with it) but it jams with everything I've tried in it. I'll soon find out if the new ejector becomes the magical cure that he said he'd cured before shipping back with a $300+ bill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had entertained the thought of trading and getting a henry 45-70 with the side gate, but I don't know enough about them. I want a good reliable gun that I could trust. The Henry's have had some quirks. Now right now my 1895 isn't working perfectly, but the design has proven itself, so I just need to keep working on it.

Plus I worry about the future of Marlin. I heard ruger bought them. Is that good or bad? If the 1895 disappears, mine might gain some value. Might be worth keeping for that alone.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have a 2006 JM 1895 cowboy. I've only put 40 rounds due to the fact that I cant find ammo.
I have never had a jam yet. I'm using Bullseye ammo. First time shooting I racked it slow at first, then with authority.
I sure hope it's the extractor on your 1895.That should be a easy fix.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had entertained the thought of trading and getting a henry 45-70 with the side gate, but I don't know enough about them. I want a good reliable gun that I could trust. The Henry's have had some quirks. Now right now my 1895 isn't working perfectly, but the design has proven itself, so I just need to keep working on it.

Plus I worry about the future of Marlin. I heard ruger bought them. Is that good or bad? If the 1895 disappears, mine might gain some value. Might be worth keeping for that alone.
Henry quirks? I own 3. The 45-70, a BB all weather .45C and a single shot 45-70. They all function fine.

I know that this is a Marlin forum, but I know more than a couple guys that enjoy their Marlins, but don't consider them for predator protection. Again, mine is a 2006 and I agree.

I own better rifles IMO to carry it use in places where bear attacks may be prevelent. My BLR in .450 was chosen for my drop hunt in Alaska.

Missing an opportunity for a quick follow-up on a bear or angry boar is not optional in some cases.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hadn't considered the BLR in 450. I might look into that. What made you chose the BLR over the henry or marlin?

I have really grown to enjoy flying into the backcountry, and wanted to get comfortable with a good wildlife defense rifle. Some of those airstrips are pretty remote. That's what led me to the 1895 initially.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I hadn't considered the BLR in 450. I might look into that. What made you chose the BLR over the henry or marlin?

I have really grown to enjoy flying into the backcountry, and wanted to get comfortable with a good wildlife defense rifle. Some of those airstrips are pretty remote. That's what led me to the 1895 initially.

View attachment 843621
Well, the .450 is more powerful in easily found/bought rounds. The box magazine makes loading and unloading much easier.

The BLR has a smoother action and significantly shorter lever throw. The action is MUCH stronger than any Marlin lever gun, ever. While I'll not quote load data, the action is pretty much on a par with a Ruger #1

I own a BLR short action in .325WSM too. Look at the pressure it runs 😁

1 - 16 of 16 Posts