Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gizmo had his problems and don't know if he ever got it fixed but here is mine. Got my new 9, test fired about 30 rounds and had some failures to stay cocked. Put the stiffer wolf spring and new buffer and tried again and had failure to stay cocked every other round. Today, put the original spring back in and tested. About every 5th round had a failure to stay cocked. I say "stay cocked" because there is a light primer strike.

With the trigger housing in my hand every thing looks normal.

Any ideas where to start? Been through Mush's stickie but nothing stood out.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
363 Posts
Gizmo had his problems and don't know if he ever got it fixed but here is mine. Got my new 9, test fired about 30 rounds and had some failures to stay cocked. Put the stiffer wolf spring and new buffer and tried again and had failure to stay cocked every other round. Today, put the original spring back in and tested. About every 5th round had a failure to stay cocked. I say "stay cocked" because there is a light primer strike.

With the trigger housing in my hand every thing looks normal.

Any ideas where to start? Been through Mush's stickie but nothing stood out.

Thanks,

Jim
Not sure how far you've gone, but you need to check the trigger and sear. I would guess that is where most your trouble lies.

You may have a worn out sear, bad or missing sear spring, or worn out/broken trigger. Possibly even missing a part?

The only way to really know would be to remove those pieces and look them over really close.

Oh, maybe even a worn hammer, look over the catch on that too.

Sorry, I jumped right to disassembly, you can check it out by cocking the hammer back first, then trying to see if its latching normally. Not sure how to post a video,b it I wiltake one to show you how mine works.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sorry, cant seem to find a host for the video yet, but here is a picture of the hammer and sear. Mine will cock back then with the safety off (and a mag in if you dont have that removed) the hammer should fall when you pull the trigger. These seem to have a fairly heavy trigger, but it should be smooth but not a light pull to get it to fall.

image.jpg

And yes i had to pull the hammer spring out of the way to get that picture. :)

I will continue trying to get the video linked if it will help.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Camaro, When I cock by hand it seems to work every time. I guess a complete dis assembly is in order. Will keep checking for ideas and advice, so keep it coming.

Jim

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Started with some of my reloads but switched to factory Federals to double check. I bought the 16lb wolf spring but put the original back in. I don't think it is factory original because the buffer had been changed.

Reactions: camarozz

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I'll try that.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haven't had a chance to tear it down yet. Maybe Sunday. Will keep every one posted

Reactions: carpenter

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got my new buffer and spring so I spent the afternoon taking my camp apart and trying to fix the cocking problem. No dice. The sear spring seemed fine so I kept it. After reassembling the trigger group, both with and without the magazine block, the problem remains. Cycling the bolt with the trigger released ***** the hammer properly but if you hold the trigger to the rear, as if you just fired it, the hammer fails to stay cocked and follows the bolt into battery. I did notice that the engagement surfaces of the sear are not crisp as I would have expected, but instead are slightly rounded. I'm thinking the problem might be with the disconnector, part #63.

·
Registered
649 Posts
BJH, Is the disconnector (part 63) moving freely? Sometimes the part gets stuck one way or the other. Try moving the part (63) to an upright position they retry the trigger.

Also, is the rifle new to you or did it work OK before?

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm pretty much where BJH is. I have it completely torn down, all springs look good. I also notice that the groves are slightly rounded. Think taking a file and dressing them up would help? How would I know if the sear is worn out?

Jim

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went ahead and just lightly touched up the notches and reassembled. It seems to cock every time by hand but what I did notice is that it doesn't cock if I hold the trigger. Could this be what has been happening? I'll try and go shoot later this week and see how things go.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the update Giz

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BJH have you made any head way?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Talked to a Gunsmith

Actually I have. I talked to a gunsmith this past weekend about the issue. He said that he has seen it before, usually from an amateur smith trying to "improve" the trigger. His experience is that you usually have to replace the disconnector and the sear and maybe the hammer if they fiddled with that too. He had such a backlog of work it would take him a couple months to get to my Camp 9 and suggested that if I can find replacement parts it might work to swap those items out and see if it doesn't fix the problem. So now I'm going online to see if I can find the parts.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts