Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what the factory sets the trigger pull to on a new Marlin 336C in 35 Rem? I've heard that they set it to 6 lbs. Is that true?

If you want a lighter trigger pull, about how much does it cost, how long does it take and what is a good trigger pull? Is 3 pounds too light?

I don't need super sensitive just hunting field usable pull weight.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't have a scale, but it feels like more than 6 lbs. There are several ways to lighten trigger pull. One is to purchase an after market Wild West trigger. I think a Wild West trigger is set at 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. The cost is somewhere around $89. Or, you can lighten the trigger pull by re-angling the shear. It is an easy process. I have done several of my rifles with good results. There is a good discription of the process at Bear Tooth Bullets. I think it is in the gunsmithing section of the talk forum. Or, you can lighten the spring and smooth the shear and hammer notch. I have never used this approach and can not tell you how to lighten the spring.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only problem with modification is that I like guns and like to shoot guns. But I have absolutely no experience with taking guns apart.

I have the humpty-dumpty complex. That is:

I'm 100% sure that I could take it apart. I just don't have very much confidence that I could put it back to gether again.

At this point I have not even taken the bolt apart to clean the 336 from the rear. I'm going to give this a go AFTER deer hunting season.

Is it really worth $90 for a new trigger? Is it a nicer more comfortable trigger, gold plated or something?

I was hoping that a gunsmith may be able to lighten the existing trigger for about $25.

But for some odd reason I like the look of the Marlins with the Gold trigger. I guess I'm just vain!!!!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I haven't had any work done on my lever guns and haven't tried it myself.

I had three Rem. 700 bolt guns all tuned to the same trigger pull, 3 lbs., by a local gunsmith earlier this year. Cost = just over $100 for the three.

Yes, it was worth it to be able to pick up any one of them and have the same feel to the trigger.

·
Registered
131 Posts
flyingfool,
I have a 336 that needs a trigger job to. It will be going in this winter to be worked on. It is the gold/brass trigger. It isnt so bad shooting offhand but it feels like junk on the bench. It's like you pull and pull and pull and the thing will never go off. Just because it shines like gold doesnt make it worth a nickle.

Some of these guys have both the wild west triggers and trigger jobs done on the factory triggers. I think most of them will vouch for the wild west trigger.
Pb

·
Registered
594 Posts
Trigger weight isn't nearly as important as the smoothness of it's break point. Most gunsmiths can polish your sear for cheap and it would make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Many folks have done quite well by purchasing the Happy Trigger. I have purchased two. The first one was for a brand new 336W that had a trigger pull that was literally off the scale. The Happy Trigger helped some but I had to work over the seer myself. With much trepidation I might add. But I did prevail and ended up with a nice trigger pull for both bench and hunting. That was due to so much help from the old MT members.

I later purchases a used 444S that also had a very bad trigger. It was not as bad as the 336W but nearly so. I wasn't confident in my ability to work over the seer again so I ordered another Happy Trigger. While waiting for the trigger I decided that if i had worked over a seer already with good results I could to it again and this time I had both the origional trigger and seer to work with. I almost went too far and ended up with a quite light trigger pull.

I ended up selling the uninstalled Happy Trigger to a member of this forum for a good price. He still has not shot his bear yet. :wink: :wink:

I recently purchased 444SS and yes again with a hard trigger pull. This time it only took me about 10 minutes to rework the seer (didn't have to touch the trigger). This time I had a set of very small diamond files to work with.

If you are handy, then do the research (I will be happy to send you all of the info I have) and do it yourself. If not, I suggest a gunsmith to do the job for you. BUT the Happy Trigger just may be what your gun needs to settle in at 2 1/2# - 3# for a trigger pull.

There, I think I covered all the bases from do-it-yourself installation, to working over the seer and trigger yourself, to almost screwing it up to finding a gunsmith.

Hope this helps,

Dave 8)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I put a Happy Trigger kit in my Marlin 1895 MR and it is great. I wrote up how to do it over in the Big Bore Forum. Search for "Putting Parts in Your Marlin." I also covered the Bear Proof Ejector and The metal magazine followers to replace the factory plastic one. :D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the "Happy Trigger" and the "Wild West Trigger" the same?

Are these widely available or only at a web-site or gunsmiths?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Now with those new triggers VTDW has, he will be beating up on us in Ranch Dogs Postal Match III :shock:

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
big medicine,

I did great this year with my new triggers, but cannot brag about it because there weren't many folks shooting factory ammo in the .40 cal. scoped and .30 cal. scoped. Now you folks that reload shot some might fine groups. :oops:

I will say this though, the Postal Matches forced me to learn my rifles inside and out. I sure have shot up lots of that expensive Hornday factory stuff but have full confidence in whichever rifle I take hunting. Think I need to buy some Hornady stock. :lol:

Dang but the lever guns are fun. 8)

Dave :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts