Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got this tonight. Can't really find a match on the web given its N prefix (1956) serial number but it looked so nice I had to have it - my birth year too. If the checkering is not factory it is at least in the "style" of Marlin. Rifle is 99% for metal and wood. Seriously, it doesn't look like it saw much use. I will remedy that this weekend. It is not stamped DL on the barrel but from what I found an actual DL stamped barrel would be from 60-63. The fit of wood to metal receiver is as you would expect from a 1956 Marlin - flawless.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
I believe that may have been done aftermarket.That being said,very nicely done.I think it's beautiful!

Reactions: Ha Dingus

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Yes, even if it's hand checkering done outside the factory, it looks to be very professionally done, and looks very sharp. Nice rifle!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The checkering sure didn't hurt the value any at all in my opinion in fact I'd pay more because it's different. Very nice rifle !

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts
Not sure either but I have seen other Marlins with the same design. Of course someone could have copied one they saw. It looks well done though for sure.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It looks to me like some very nice aftermarket checkering. There were some very fine craftsmen (gunsmiths) back in the day. It definately shouldn't hurt the value. Great find.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
Aftermarket,not stock.Nevertheless,still a nice 39a

·
Registered
661 Posts
Very nice. If it was a few years newer I'd have to arm wrestle you for it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry to have to say, but in truth the checkering is amateur quality. Nice OEM looking pattern though and a very nice rifle itself.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Maybe factory "special" order. My old 1955 Model 39 was D/T (Weaver N mount) by Marlin, special order form filled out by factory came with the rifle from the original owner. Back in the bad old days Marlin did some custom work on special order.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Sorry to have to say, but in truth the checkering is amateur quality. Nice OEM looking pattern though and a very nice rifle itself.
:vollkommenauf:

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I have a '54 that was checkered when I bought it. Mine and the one the OP has pictured is not factory or professional work. Not saying they are not something worth owning but not collector pieces which is fine by me as I use all mine for shooting or hunting. I would prefer the pattern on the one at the start of the thread to have the pattern reversed for my taste. The pattern could have been laid out better for a true diamond effect and not so square. I have done checkering and it is important to lay it out right or lose the diamond shape and end up kind of square. Mine is not pro quality but it is one of the factory side drilled ones and I am keeping it and using it as it is no collector but a great shooter.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It may not be factory, the lighting and normal wear can play tricks, not sure how many on this site has ever been around or watched a stock being checkered.........I have watched a 75 yr. old pro checker and have tried to learn it myself..........very-very tedious work, whoever can do what's showing on this rifle is no amateur by a longshot..........what I do is amateurish :biggrin: compared to this work.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I agree, but there's always is someone to rain on a parade, I'd be very happy to own that fine rifle.

·
Banned
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It may not be factory, the lighting can play tricks, not sure how many on this site has ever been around or watched a stock being checkered.........I have watched a 75 yr. old pro checker and have tried to learn it myself..........very-very tedious work, whoever can do what's showing on this rifle is no amateur by a longshot..........what I do is amateurish :biggrin: compared to this work.
My feeling as well. Although the "camera doesn't lie" the checkering looks much better in real life than in the pics. I know it's not the quality of checkering one would see on a "C" or "D" Grade gun but I do think it's equivalent or very close to Marlin "B" Grade checkering. I didn't buy it for the checkering but even if it's aftermarket I didn't pass on the rifle because of the checkering - like some bad gunsmithing would give one reason to do. I'll take some outdoor pics this weekend next to the '46 I got two weeks ago. Should be a nice weekend of shooting.

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts
The older rifles were done by hand not a machine. I have seen rifles pictured on here that were said to be factory with over runs and not really any better work than this rifle. It is either a paid for custom job or a factory special. Looks to me that it was done by someone that had done it before.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts