Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found 2 new marlin 336 w/factory scope at a local dicks sporting goods today. both of them were built in new haven and have jm stamps. the fit and finish on the wood looks good and they look like nice rifles. asking price is $399.99. My question is should I grab one of these rifles. seems like everyone is saying to grab the older rifles. around here a used 336 is going for $300-$350 so it seems like a no brainer. Just figured I'd give someone the chance to talk me out of it.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
This is just my personal opinion......

The scope that comes with that rifle is a piece of Chinese junk! I wouldn't consider the 336W an older rifle. There's nothing wrong with the W, it's a fine rifle, but you could do better price wise and buy a good used 336 with walnut furniture here or on another forum.

Keep your eye out for a good used 336 here...... There's almost always one for sale worth buying.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/board,162.0.html

Also, I see you're from MA. I can hook you up with a few places to shop around for a good used one....depending on what part of the state your in.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already checked out four seasons and collectors gallery nothing there. I checked kittery trading post and they had some but nothing that caught my eye. If you know somewhere else let me know I'll go check em out.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Those were going to be my suggestions, don't give up though....they get stuff in all the time...... Four Seasons is the best little gun shop in MA ;)

Try the link for Rifle for sale here at MO's. Lots of good honest people selling good quality rifles and you can have it shipped to Four Seasons and do the transfer. Done it numerous times.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
FWIW - have bought two 336s in the last 6 months. First was a '72 336C 35 Rem w/ good heavy leather sling and junk scope - Cabelas - $350. Dumped the scope - went with Skinner sights. Last week bought an '81 336C 30-30 - local shop - $280. Second 336 30-30 for that price I have seen - other one was Western Field (Marlin on bbl).

I am in Alabama. May be more in other parts of the country...

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
You're likely getting a birch or hardwood stock with that model Marlin. I don't think any rifle with discount wood is going to appreciate much.

If you intend to use the rifle and want a low entry price you may as well go with a Glenfield from the 70s or 80s. There are two at a local Gander for $179 right now and both look like they have only been in the woods a couple of times.

These rifles have lost all the value they are going to and will likely never be worth less than what you pay for them right now. The new Marlin will lose $75 or more the minute you take it off the self. It won't shoot any better. Like six_guns said, you'll have to replace the scope anyway.

Just my thoughts. Don't mean to be rude, just pragmatic.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. You're right about the wood the older ones. I have seen have much nicer looking stocks than the 2 new ones. I"ve had an 1895 sbl on order for some time now but I want a nice deer rifle too so thats why I want the 336. I think I'm gonna go used. I saw a nice older unfired 336 on gunbroker the other day i might take a better look at that.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Me I would buy them if I had the cash on hand.. you can always update furniture later even custom stuff if you choose.. but rest is pure Marlin and a good one.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks for the feedback guys. I made the decision and I found a beautiful older 336 that looks to be unfired. Pulled the trigger so to say and bid on it. we'll see what happens

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
Way to go marsh. There are boat loads of VG Marlins out there at great prices. Just hang in there. You'll find a great deal in very little time.

Most people will agree a used car is just that - a used car - maybe near the end of its life.

Consider this. A previously owned Marlin is a connection with the past. Unlike a used car, previously owned does not mean used up. Buy a Marlin that's older than you and think upon the days that were. Days it saw in the hands of a hunter. Days you may never see; but can envision through your old gun.

Look down the barrel. Feel the wood. Soak up the history. Breath. Shoot the deer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts