Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 100 cases of 30-30win on hand from my dad who doesn't reload. Problem is he doesn't shoot much so I need to really kick up my supply. If I buy some factory new stuff, which brand would MO recommend? I wanted Starline but don't see it offered on their website. Midway lists Winchester, Remington, Federal Premium and Hornady.

My R-P 45auto brass is thinner than my Winchester cases so I'm leaning towards Winny even though it runs a bit more...

·
Registered
173 Posts
The low pressure of the cartridge and accuracy limits of lever guns is such that there isn't enought average difference between the brands of .30-30 cases to make a difference.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Around my area new brass is more often than not difficult to find. When I find it I buy it regardless of brand. Same with primers when I can find em I buy them. I,ve been using hornady,win,remmy quite a bit the last couple years and have not determined one better than the other. Guys are buying up reloading stuff fast these days.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have only been reloading for a short time, but I agree the Federal seems to hold up better than the Winchester. The Winchester brass needs to be trimmed after almost the first use. The Federal after the fourth use still has not expanded to the point where my trimmer takes anything off.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I like Remington, but any will do for 30-30. I use the remingtons to fireform my 30-30 Ackley Improved cases, never lost one yet, and they are still going, even with warm handloads ( some say hot, I say warm, potatoe potato,ha)

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
I have bought maybe 400 new Winchester cases and no problems with them. Trimming, I'm glad but I trim my cases short on purpose to be able to set my seaters crimp from the get go.

I also have around 1400 once fireds, 400 were range brass I picked up mostly RP, 1000 I bought from a local dealer best $80 I spent in a while, I keep the RP and Win but culled the other brands. Not many anyway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the responses so far, especially preacher with the 30-30AI info...I'm very interested in having my rifle converted down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts