Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my hunt for a 1894 I recently came across a gentleman that had bought one new near the end of the JM stamp era. He thought he was buying a 44mag, he actually ended up with 357mag. According to him serial # and matching box indicate 44mag although the rifle is actually chambered in 357mag. Has anyone else heard of such an error? Does this make it any more valuable if any? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
In my hunt for a 1894 I recently came across a gentleman that had bought one new near the end of the JM stamp era. He thought he was buying a 44mag, he actually ended up with 357mag. According to him serial # and matching box indicate 44mag although the rifle is actually chambered in 357mag. Has anyone else heard of such an error? Does this make it any more valuable if any? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The box itself is irrelevant in this case unless the serial number on the box and firearm matches yet still indicates different calibers.

Would you be able to take a picture of the labeled end of the box along with the firearm?

Go by what the firearm stamp says in terms of caliber ... ... are you suggesting the barrel is JM stamped 44 Mag yet it only chambers 38/357? And the box states 44 Mag?

Gotta see pictures. Get him to let you take pictures with your phone.

Welcome to the MO. Be sure to introduce yourself in the new members forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have yet to see it in person as I have only talked to him over the phone. The way I understand it the rifle is stamped and chambered in 357 but the serial number stamped on rifle and box label indicate 44mag.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Boxes being mislabeled is not a big deal. It happens. Now if the barrel is marked wrong that's a different story but it sounds like you have either a mislabeled box or rebarreled rifle.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
As the othe rposter said, serial has nothing to do with caliber and only gives an approximate date of manufacture. I'd have to examine both box and rifle. As far as someone replacing a .44 barrel, a new pipe would be easy to screw in along with lifter replacement, but bolts would have to be swapped and that's a factory job. So if it IS a .357 and the barrel is marked .44, then that's a factory error. As far as collector interest, who knows? Put it up on an auction site and find out. Any .357 goes for a premium these days, I personally wouldn't pay extra for a mis-marked example, even with a box. The box is worth maybe an extra $25-50 as an original box. The gun would have to be NIB with all original papers to be really worth a whole lot extra over just a shooter with the box included.

Stan S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas, now i know what I'm working with. With that being said, what is the value of a JM stamped 1894 357mag with original box?

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
These days it's worth what a person is willing to pay. Prices are all over the place!

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
A search here of our Marlin rifles for sale forum and on Gunbroker (for actual sold rifles) will give you the best indication of what the going rate is.

The misprinted box label is of no consequence but adds slightly to the value for some buyers to have the original box, error or not. This isn't like 4 mis-struck 40's era pennies that shouldn't exist but do. The issue described is just a manufacturing/shipping department error.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Thanks for the replies fellas, now i know what I'm working with. With that being said, what is the value of a JM stamped 1894 357mag with original box?
In .357, the 1894 CS is less valuable than the 1894 CB Limited (Octagon barrel). The CS can reach $1000 +/- and the CB Limited has gone as high as $3000 for an engraved edition. However, they usually go for $1500 +/-.

Lastly, I found this on the MO site: 1894SSLTD .357/.38spl Stainless steel 16.25" barrel, Non-Checkered Gray Laminated stocks, Hi-Viz sights 351 produced. Made in 2005. Special run by Marlin for Davidsons.

An auction needs to determine the value of that "rare" SS Ltd.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Working behind a gun counter for a couple of years, I have come across a couple of mismatched labels on firearms boxes. The firearms were marked correctly. DP

Reactions: Salmoneye

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I do wonder if a Marlin could be returned and sent back for repairs, and then resold again as a factory original. I sent back (through the store) my new SS in it's original box, for splitting cases, it came back to me in a plain shipping box without any paperwork on what was done. My first Marlin was a 336C, which I had to order through the store. The box said C, but the barrel was marked 336CC. I did wonder if it got returned through a gunsmith that replaced the barrel and then returned it to the warehouse.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Sorry Blackbarry, but thats not 100% correct. The 1894SSLTD was sold as a set of 4 rifles (38/357,41mag,44mag and 45LC) and there was only 251 set sold. For a total of 1004 rifle. The 1894SS41LTD was the only Stainless steel 41mag ever build.

Rick

In .357, the 1894 CS is less valuable than the 1894 CB Limited (Octagon barrel). The CS can reach $1000 +/- and the CB Limited has gone as high as $3000 for an engraved edition. However, they usually go for $1500 +/-.

Lastly, I found this on the MO site: 1894SSLTD .357/.38spl Stainless steel 16.25" barrel, Non-Checkered Gray Laminated stocks, Hi-Viz sights 351 produced. Made in 2005. Special run by Marlin for Davidsons.

An auction needs to determine the value of that "rare" SS Ltd.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I worked as the Gun Room Manager for Sportsman's Warehouse, mistakes such as this, although relatively rare, were common enough that it certainly wouldn't add to the value. I once received a shipment of Marlins with a typo on three of the boxes - I bought two 1894 Cowboys when we closed them out, one of which had the typo.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Found this thread searching for info on a 336 I bought today with a 30-30 chambered barrel but is stamped as a 44 Rem Mag. It can happen.

Reactions: RGR

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
In my observation, guns are not coins. Mismarked boxes, or stamps, I am not aware of any one that collects such. Over the years, any one working in a retail store has seen many many guns that I call Mon Fri specials,(the notion being the guys are still asleep on the first shift Monday morn, and they are itching for 5 oclock on Friday afternoon) Yes mistakes happen.

One that comes too mind, was a smooth bore Colt Python came into the store back when they were having Q C problems. I had a vintage Marlin 410 lever, with the top of the barrel with nothing but the front bead.
The trademark was at 6 0clock hidden by the fore end.

I have a vintage 94, with roll stamps on top, as well as another set under the fore end.

The Brophy book claims the error guns to be rare. And they claim seconds were marked, but not supposed to be sold. Neither of my guns had any "second" markings. And I am betting if more fore ends got taken off old guns, roll stamping errors would be more common.

But again, does an error add any value? If so, its news too me.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
I once ordered a Remington XP-100R in .35 Remington, when firearm arrived, it was actually a .260 Remington, the label on the box was wrong, serial number was correct but caliber was incorrect, label said it was .35 Remington, barrel was stamped .260.

this actually worked to my advantage, because I ordered the gun to re-barrel to .257 Roberts, the bolt face for .260 is a perfect match for the .257 whereas the .35 Remi is a little bit different but could be made to work, so I came out better off.

I did not care about collector value, as I bought it to re-barrel anyway

the XP in .257 turned out to a real shooter, less than 1" groups at 100 yards with Winchester factory ammo, not bad for 15" barreled handgun

Reactions: Sweetwater
1 - 20 of 23 Posts