Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I've tried this question in a couple other groups, and haven't yet got an answer that convinces me. I've got an excellent condition 1889 from 1893 in 32wcf, brand new looking bore. I haven't dared to shoot it yet, cause all I have is new factory ammo in 32-20, Ultramax cowboy at about 100fps and Win Super X at over 1200fps. I've been told everything from "black powder only!" to "Ulramax is fine" to Any modern factory ammo is weak and OK for anything". I really don't want to wreak this rifle, and I'm not quite yet set up to reload this.
Any real life experience with this?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The factory ammo is down loaded for old guns like the Colts and marlins, Winchester 1873s, the old high speed ammo aimed at the Win 1892 was in the 1700-1800fps and hasn't been made in many yrs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Shoot away!! I have 2 1889's and shoot them both regularly...

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
I shoot Black Hills factory 32-20 ammo in my 1889 and it works great. I've had no problems at all. YMMV.

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shoot away!! I have 2 1889's and shoot them both regularly...
Thanks to all for the info. Wondering what other brands you've shot.
I've started gathering what I need for dies, and trying to find casting stuff.
I'll have reload questions next.
Thanks
Russ

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think the only ammo offered by Winchester in the last few years is white box with the 115 lead bullet , and while loaded down it is safe, but is not accurate in any rifle or handgun myself or acquaintances have tried

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The one thing I would avoid is jacketed bullets. As long as the ammo is cast lead, odds are it's down loaded enough to be fine in your vintage Marlin. Jacketed bullets will do more harm, and should be avoided in these soft steel barrels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts