Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine bought an elusive 336ER this weekend. It's the first one I've actually ever had in my hands. Anyhow, he doesn't reload and he's looking for factory ammo. Where's the best place to get it? What I've found on the net has been expensive (Win 200gr for $30/box) :shock: .

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
356 ammo

Duckbill:

If he does not load, he'd better get used to $30/box ammo. Anytime you get into a less popular chambering, the cost goes up. Try pricing .218 Bee sometime ($40/box) or better yet, .310 Martini Cadet... Even reloading is expensive for some of these (with the dies alone running $100+ a set for some of these oddballs)

He has three choices:
1) Pony up $30/box for ammo.
2) Start reloading.
or
3) Sell the rifle and buy a .30/30 or .35.

I do have a solution though... When your buddy gets tired of paying $1.50 a round for the 336ER, have him the rifle to me! :D

G

·
That's about the price neighborhood you'll be shopping in for OTS factory stuff.

'spensive.

You can find a some at cheaperthandirt.com or there's usually someone selling a batch on gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com.

If you want to go the reload route, the Lee dies aren't too expensive.

Finding the "right" bullet is something of a challenge though...

:D

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
If your friend does start to reload the 356 and 358 dies are the same, only difference is the shell holder as in all other respect the dies are the same.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I bought a 356 from a guy in Nebraska last Fall. He had a bunch of boxes of the stuff he was willing to part with for a reasonable fee. Might want to contact Big Medicine, as he was the one that put me onto this place. The guy might make you the same deal he made me. I know it was considerably less than 30, but certainly more than 30-30 ammo.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
NO FAIR!

I was trying to be polite and not offer the obvious conclusion that only reloaders need these guns and the most obvious choice for that would be ME!. These things should be shot! You have one, Brad! Why don't you shoot it! :) (My 356 is only a Winchester, not a Marlin)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Oh cry me a river Dr. Dave. I broke down a couple weeks ago and shot my .356, but I do not plan to take it hunting. I am going to try to punch good enough groups to enter them in Ranch Dog's PM.

Is there a law somewhere that prohibits a fellow from owning two ER's??

However, if Duckbill's buddy wants to sell and you want to buy I will remove myself from the equation. After all you do need a real ER. Kidding, just kidding no I'm not. :wink:

SS

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Sidespin,
You need to get that 356 out more. We might have to turn you in for Marlin abuse...not letting that ER to hunting is a crime!! You need to fire it up and get some targets shot for RD. :wink:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sidespin said:
Oh cry me a river Dr. Dave. I broke down a couple weeks ago and shot my .356, but I do not plan to take it hunting. I am going to try to punch good enough groups to enter them in Ranch Dog's PM.

Is there a law somewhere that prohibits a fellow from owning two ER's??

However, if Duckbill's buddy wants to sell and you want to buy I will remove myself from the equation. After all you do need a real ER. Kidding, just kidding no I'm not. :wink:

SS

Ya'll can just just quit squabblin'. :roll: :lol: If anybody gets that ER it's gonna be me. It killed me to have it in my hands and not be able to buy it the other day. Oh well, I'll just be happy for now with my 375 :wink: .

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
He started it!

I don't blame you a bit Duckbill, that would be my position as well. Tell me about that .375, I didn't know you had one. Is it accurate? Do you reload for it?

Big med, I'd take that ER huntin' but I don't want it to wind up like Ranch Dog's, with a scratch on the stock, it would send me to the funny farm ( I don't have far to go anyway).

If I can get a decent, open sight group with it I'll send the results to RD.

SS

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sidespin said:
He started it!

I don't blame you a bit Duckbill, that would be my position as well. Tell me about that .375, I didn't know you had one. Is it accurate? Do you reload for it?
Picked it up last year. I just recently refinished the wood and it looks awesome. It really loves the 200gr Sierras over some AA1680. I plan on taking it hog and deer hunting this year. I'll try and post some pics.
Bill

·
Registered
697 Posts
Boy, you guys are making me feel guilty for not getting around to shooting my ER yet. Having too much fun with both of my 444s. Guess I need to reload some of the 180 Speers I have for it and get out there. Ain't it fun! Rick

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Sidespin said:
...I'd take that ER huntin' but I don't want it to wind up like Ranch Dog's, with a scratch on the stock, it would send me to the funny farm ( I don't have far to go anyway).
Sidespin... I didn't go and put some pansy scratch in the stock, I was a man and scratched the side of the receiver :p Not that bad and barely noticable but I don't feel bad about hunting with the rifle now! One of the problems I'm facing is that I have more Marlin's than time...

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Ranch Dog,
I'd be happy to help ya out ol buddy. I bet I have enough time to shoot that 356. :lol: :lol:

G

·
I'm thinkin' that all these .356's want some friends to play with.

Kinda like long lost family.

We should work on talkin' RD into an "ER Fest".

.356's only or 336ER's only.

I hear there's a hog or two down there...

...and I'm bettin' that my ER shoots better than your'n...

:wink:

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
FWiedner said:
We should work on talkin' RD into an "ER Fest".

.356's only or 336ER's only.
Not a bad idea... how many guys have 356s and could come to Texas for a hunt? Be serious about this and take a look at what it would take to get to Cuero, Texas. A hunting license is $25. One problem I have is that it is rare for me to be off on a weekend.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Well..... if you pick me up at the local airport, it'd be real easy. Just kidding. Cuero is just east of San Antone'. right? Sorry, that's just the way I say it. About 15 hours from Columbia, Mo. I think. Not a bad drive if a couple of people shared a ride. Possibility. Free hog hunting and camp out? What did you have in mind? Always looking for a cheap hunt, Rick

1 - 20 of 27 Posts