Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know what kind of accuracy you fellows are getting out of your 44 marlin rifles. I picked up a pre saftey 1894 at a gun show about a month ago and really dont know where to start with ammo choices. I will be deer hunting with this rifle and am debating on scoping it. I have a 1895 guide gun(JM marked of course) and the accruracy is scary since I scoped it. 3/4 inch 3 shot groups with hornady leverevelotion at 100 yds. Input from all the experts would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
In .44 mag, my hand loads can not match the accuracy of WW 240gn hollow soft points. Part# X44MHSP2.

Mark.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wally World Winchester White Box 240 grain fnsp ... always start there.

Join our Moon Tree Team Marlin Group for more precise philosophical answers about life in general.

:biggrin:
I second Winchester White Box 240 gr. JSP's. I get MOA accuracy out of my Marlin 1894P with them, and have never lost a deer or hog shot with them.

Hornady LeveRevolution 225 gr. shoots almost as well in my Marlin, and just barely better in my Ruger carbine. Either of these should do well for you.

Luis

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never would have thought the Winchester white box. Go figure. I might find a box hidden away with my pistol rounds somewhere. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I second Winchester White Box 240 gr. JSP's. I get MOA accuracy out of my Marlin 1894P with them, and have never lost a deer or hog shot with them.
Luis
Kid you not. Saw the shortage coming about ten or fifteen years ago ... started buying WW 240 JSP everytime I walked into Wally World.

Ended up with a couple of thousand rounds poured into old 81 MM mortar tubes to the tune of - I dunno - eight or nine tubes at 280 per tube.

Lemme see if I can take a quick picture.

I might have $250.00-$300.00 total in 2000 rounds of WW 240 JHP 44 Mag.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have had very good success with the American Eagle out of my 1894 ss. That was all I could find when I first got the rifle and got lucky and it shot very well. Later tried the Hornady LE and point of aim was a little different but it is very accurate. I switch between a Burris FastFire II and a Leupold VX 2, 2x7 for sights. Can't decide which I like most. The scope gives more accurate bullet placement at longer range but the little FF is so light, handy and fast it is perfect for the 1894 in close hunting spots.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Another vote for Winchester white box 240 gr. JSP. First ammo I used in my 1894P and was pleasantly surprised that it shoots fantastic. With open sights I am getting 1" groups at 50 yards from a rest. Plenty good enough for me... :)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
For factory ammo, Winchester white box has also worked well for me in both my lever guns and my 44 mag handguns. You might also try the Federal 240 JHPs. Have a couple of revolvers that like those even better.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The 240 gr factory load is what the gun was originally designed for, guys here have sworn by the Winchester white box stuff. The nephew-in-law has used the American Eagle load, no deer he's connected with has complained. Around here, the only .44 on the shelves is the semi-custom stuff like the Buffalo loads, a box is upwards of $60. For the price of a couple of boxes, you can get a pretty good reloading outfit together. Save those empties, they're gold...

Stan S.

·
Super Moderator
12,073 Posts
The 240 gr factory load is what the gun was originally designed for, guys here have sworn by the Winchester white box stuff. The nephew-in-law has used the American Eagle load, no deer he's connected with has complained. Around here, the only .44 on the shelves is the semi-custom stuff like the Buffalo loads, a box is upwards of $60. For the price of a couple of boxes, you can get a pretty good reloading outfit together. Save those empties, they're gold...

Stan S.
Yep that Winnie ammo is good stuff - but I'd also suggest reloading as you will save a boatload, WWB was $35-$40 before the ammo shortage so I can only imagine how high it is now.
A good bullet is the Sierra 240 gr JHC which shoots phenomenally well. Nice thing about the 44 is there's a variety of powders that work well and bullets sized from 180 gr to 300 gr.
I'd recommend not going bigger than 300 as the rifle will likely not stabilize the bullet - the twist is too slow.

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
All my 1894's LOVE whatever ammo is loaded with Hornady's XTP loads. Factory or handloads, they shoot as well as I can.

·
Registered
575 Posts
until i started reloading for my 94 - ww white box always seemed to work well.

do you know what the bore diameter of your gun is? i ask because once you find that out - normally by slugging it - you can ask the manufacturers what there bullet diameters are in order to better match bullet to bore..

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I just found a yellow box of UMC 180 grain soft points with a $22.49 price tag. Have no idea where they came from.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
My Marlin likes the white box ammo just fine. Will also shoot 240 gr lead very well. I can bust a 4" clay at 100 yards resting on the hood of the truck. Good enough for deer. Proof is in the freezer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts