Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a almost new 1994 marlin that will not chamber shells without jamming and thought I would try the extractor fix, well I have the reciever out but the pin that holds the extractor in will not budge, I used a punch and use a lot of force and it will not move. am I missing something here? why won't the pin come out?

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
It only goes in & out one way. Try it from the other side.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, guys someone has to be wrong, One guy shows driving the pin out from the top to bottom and another guy says it has to be driven from the bottom to the top! Which is right? I have tried both ways and it did not move at all. I am getting a little frustrated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, you have to missing something, I have soaked it in solvent like one guy suggested, did not work, I've tried to take the pin out by clamping it to a piece of wood and I pounded it until my punch bent, and still won't move. and yes I made a hole under the pin so it could come out. I followed the instructions given here on what side to use to punch it out on and still nothing happens! I am 60 years old this thing is getting me to where I want to pull my hair out what little there is! if I did not pay so much for this piece of shit I would throw it in the trash, If I'd know about this about Marlins I would have went with Henry or something else. I paid 575.00 for this crap and I can not even cycle one round through it. I really did not want to send it back to Marlin but it looks like that is what I am going have to do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very funny, The punch I am using now is smaller than the hole the pin is in. how does a smaller punch make a difference? I know that if the punch is bigger than the hole than I would just be pounding on the frame of the receiver, which is not the case. I might just trade the marlin in for a henry 44mag. if I can.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there again hanleyfan -- Those pins are tough, but they will come. Let's review. The bolt is bottom side up on a block. There is no play or 'bounce' in the bench or table under the block. Use a good sized hammer, a 20 oz. framing hammer is good. Use a short punch and hit it hard. Once the pin is driven past the 'grooves' it will move easily. Here is a picture of the punch I like to use. Good luck. Wind

·
Registered
433 Posts
hanleyfan said:
very funny, The punch I am using now is smaller than the hole the pin is in. how does a smaller punch make a difference? I know that if the punch is bigger than the hole than I would just be pounding on the frame of the receiver, which is not the case. I might just trade the marlin in for a henry 44mag. if I can.
You mean you have the bolt out. The pin is in the bolt. Shouldn't have anything to do with the receiver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I finally got my hands on a 1894c and I have the same problem. Only, I can't find the hole on the top of the bolt to drive it out!

Here's the bottom of the bolt and I can see the hole and pin that's holding the extractor in place.

Now the top. Where's the hole? Is it a blind hole?

Please help! This gun binds when I try to lever it with a round and I'm pretty sure it's the extractor forcing the round up as it's chambering.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there echo884 -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. Great pictures! I can't speak to the manufacturing process, but I would think the holes in the bolt would be through bored from the top down. In any event, these pins are in there very tight. I would try doing what I described earlier and see if you can detect movement. With the fit so tight, after you replace the pin, the force necessary will slightly peen the top over and will necessitate dressing the top of the bolt with a file or stone (or both). Your bolt may have been smoothed to the point of hiding the pin plugged hole. Let us know how it goes please. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Hanleyfan does your bolt look like the pics?It looks like somebody ground the excess pin off of the bolt! A classic Remington job or bubba was playin with it! I would try from the other side of the grind mark where you can see the pin. Since it's been ground over it's going to be a beeatch to get out! When you do try to drive it out set it on something that won't give like metal. Make sure there is space on the underside so your not trying to run the pin into the table or whatever. If you do get it to move a tad then flip it over and give it a few shots on the other side, Once it starts moving it won't be long till you get it out!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mine definitely has a pin that goes all the way through the bolt. My pin is about where there is some metal polished off on your receiver, It looks like someone removed the pin and than smoothed the surface with something. On my bolt the pin sits even with the top of the bolt and the bottom of the bolt there is about a 1/16 recess to the pin bottom.

·
Registered
433 Posts
hanleyfan said:
mine definitely has a pin that goes all the way through the bolt. My pin is about where there is some metal polished off on your receiver, It looks like someone removed the pin and than smoothed the surface with something. On my bolt the pin sits even with the top of the bolt and the bottom of the bolt there is about a 1/16 recess to the pin bottom.
?? What receiver? I don't see a receiver in the pictures.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Hey Harry, It seems he is confusing the bolt with the receiver.

Hanleyfan, since you haven't posted any pics, you realy need to get your terminology right so that we understand your question.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, so I typed the wrong word in for the bolt, we all know were are taking about the bolt we take out of the gun, If some of you guys were as much helpful in giving out help as you are at criticizing we all would be better off. Now for those who are precise with wording we're are talking about the bolt that is where the extractor is in and we all trying to get it out. any problems with that?

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Not being critical Harry, just giving advice so that you may get the best possible assistance from the very knowlegable people here in order that the best possible outcome is achieved.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
433 Posts
hanleyfan said:
Okay, so I typed the wrong word in for the bolt, we all know were are taking about the bolt we take out of the gun, If some of you guys were as much helpful in giving out help as you are at criticizing we all would be better off. Now for those who are precise with wording we're are talking about the bolt that is where the extractor is in and we all trying to get it out. any problems with that?
Just checking... comes from doing phone tech support at one time... first thing I ask "is it plugged in?" You'd be surprised.
I have taken that pin out, can't remember from which direction. But I looked at it and determined which was the larger end hole, not relying on what others said or what was in print.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts