Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,658 Posts
Some guns, especially break open shotguns and rifles, the ejector does double duty as an extractor as well. The Ruger #1 and #3 are such guns as well. AC

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
I'm not smart enough to know which looks like what....would a 2003 handi rifle in .223 have had an ejector or an extractor? Thanks
Ejector, the first extractor centerfire rifle barrels happened in 2004 with the introduction of the 204 Ruger, by 2007 ALL centerfire rifle barrels were extractors, you can easily tell the difference on a properly functioning ejector by the ejector click when you open the action, the pin locations are different on the underlug as well, an ejector has a pin right by the pivot at the front of the underlug, an extractor has 2 pins right by the large trip hole. I like ejectors when they work 100%, unfortunately they don't always, I've made dozens of ejector to factory extractor conversions on 223 rem barrels, more than all other chamberings combined! Lots of 30-06/308 family as well, but not as many. If you have a 223 with a good chamber and don't shoot milsurp, ejectors usually work fine, but many don't, most either love em or hate em due to sticky brass. Ejectors weren't an issue on pre '87 low pressure chamberings, but after high pressure chamberings were offered the problems started and ultimately H&R did away with ejectors on all centerfire rifles by 2007, the only ejectors they still made were on rimfires and shotguns. H&R also changed the 22 Hornet and 223 Rem twist rate from 1:12" to 1"9" about the same time, first 1:9" 223 were the fluted Ultras in 2005-06.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.