Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a source, if it exists, for the external screws for an 1897.

Almost all of the external screws of this rifle are "buggered". I can peen some, and if needed, weld up and recut the slot. Still, replacement would be soooooo, much easier. 8)

Are any of these screws interchangeable with the 39 or 39A?

Thanks!

Pictures, cause folks on these boards always want pictures!

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Gun parts corp (Numrich) has some of them. They are listed as 39A numbers, under the 1897 schematic. They should be the same.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just so you know, don’t always have to replace such screws with new ones. Can place those screws in a V notched vise (not clamped) to support as you gently work the metal back into place with a small hammer. If the slot is a little off can use a thin file to reshape, and touch up with a little bluing if needed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just so you know, don’t always have to replace such screws with new ones. Can place those screws in a V notched vise (not clamped) to support as you gently work the metal back into place with a small hammer. If the slot is a little off can use a thin file to reshape, and touch up with a little bluing if needed.
Understood.

That was what I meant by "peening".

I will likely be nitre bluing these, so would prefer "perfect" screws.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gun parts corp (Numrich) has some of them. They are listed as 39A numbers, under the 1897 schematic. They should be the same.
Downloading the schematic now. First one I have seen that was free!

Looking at the list, it appears they may have all the screws I need! Not sure why I didn't think to check with them.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
What can you tell me about the sight? A couple of quick searches turn up nothing like it.
Looks like a Hepburn (Lewis Hepburn). You have a somewhat rare sight there, and should send it to me for safe keeping.:flute:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.