Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guy's I wish I was going to hunt with my Ultra 45-70 but right now it is just not up to the task. I rescoped it and was not able to get reloads done in time. The other night I went up to my uncles to get his .338 Win Mag and slipped on a slant of snow that took me right off my feet. Well I landed on my left shoulder trying to keep the .338 from hitting the ground. Well I seperated my left shoulder, but am doing better today. I got up yesterday with the .338 to check the groups, and glad I did because the cross hairs were canted to the left and it was hitting about 14" high at 100 yards. I put my bi-pod on the Ruger, and got the cross hairs straight and with some adjusting I got the groups down to 2" high at 100 yards now.

Well I'm going to do my part, lets see if the cow elk herds do theirs by being in the flats as reported. The Outfitter that we spoke to said that shots can range from 100 to 400 yards, so this should be fun.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I hope your shoulder is feeling much better before you put too many rounds through that 338! :D I'm going out here this weekend with my 1895, and then after I've blooded it (hopefully this weekend) I'll start working at getting something with the BUFF! Hey, what do you think about the new Browning high-wall rifles? I saw one in .454 Casull today, and I thought Brownings shiny finish on it was a bit much. It had a octagonal barrell on it, about 28-30 inches long. I don't think I'll get one, cause I really want a Pedersoli Sharps. Just wondering what your opinion on them was.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skippy

I love the 1885 Browning Highwall and if you can find the BPCR model snap it up. It come complete with vernier tang sight and front globe sight with inserts. They made 3 models to choose from 40-65, 45-70 and 45-90 and oh they are sooooooo sweet to shoot.

Well I got back from my elk hunt.... I came down again with the flu while out there, and just was sicker than a dog. We ended up spending the night in the truck... it was flat out colder than you know what, but it was worth it in the morning. We got into a herd right off but it was a ways out there and they were moving.

Dang I missed a nice cow elk at approx 600 yards, but I just couldn't get any closer at that time. I was able to get two shots off that is all. It looked like I had hit her, but both areas showed no signs of blood trail. I tracked for quite a long time, and still found no blood or signs of being hit. My body felt like, I wish I was anywhere else but right where I was... I needed to be in bed.

I may still go back to the area (480 miles away) next week.

Have a good one

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Dang I missed a nice cow elk at approx 600 yards, but I just couldn't get any closer at that time
I'm hoping that 600 yards is a typo, I can't understand why any ethical sportsman would shoot at anything alive at that range, with the exception of maybe a varmint.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quickdtoo said:
Dang I missed a nice cow elk at approx 600 yards, but I just couldn't get any closer at that time
I'm hoping that 600 yards is a typo, I can't understand why any ethical sportsman would shoot at anything alive at that range, with the exception of maybe a varmint.
quickdtoo, hell could have been a typo, I was pretty sick out there and I believe it was more like 400 yards or maybe closer to 350. But I can honestly say, I was not up to par and shouldn't have been hunting at all.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a .338 Win Mag with a 225-gr SPBT bullet. I would have liked to use my scoped Ultra in 45-70 but it just wasn't ready for the task as it had to be resighted in and I just didn't have the time to do that before I left.

Next time I go to this area, we discovered where they had been holding and going to during the day in the timber where I can get a good 45-70 shot. There is just something drawing me to want to smack one with either the Ultra in 45-70 or my Sharps in 45-90.

Here is a link for Gold Creek Hunts that is only 168 miles from my house. I will get me a bison this next year with either rifle... I prefer my Sharps for this job.

I have had a want to rebarrel my Sharps to a 50-90 which are available through Buffalo Arms 50 Caliber Octagon Barrel, made Extra Heavy weight barrel, is unthreaded and un-chambered with a good quality machine finish. Dimensions are 1.400" breech-1.300" muzzle with 1-26" twist and .500 bore, .510 groove, 34" maximum barrel length for $385.00

Or I could just buy another Wesson & Harrington 1871 Buffalo Classic 45-70 and after having the barrel cut and crowned down to 26" really put it to the test after it was sighted up proper.

This just might be a good hunt for the first blood on the new barrel.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Wow, all that info has piqued my interest! I might have ta get in on a buff hunt myself! I browsed the Buffalo Arms store, in particular the single shot 1874 and 1886 rifles, hope I didn't get any drool on em! Thanks! Nice choice for the 400yd shot, too! :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts