Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a quiet moment today, got my nose into the Lyman cast bullet handbook and found a bit of an interesting subject.
Seems some folks have been placing the propellant charge cartridges for explosive powered tools (Ramset etc) backwards into the hollow points of bullets to make an explosive projectile.

Anyone tried this?

Interested to hear your comments

John

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
No, but other than some fun I'm not sure what the point would be. The charge would be so small that it wouldn't appreciably increase the killing potential.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Grunt 69, That's Not the Point (or Is It)
Such a Charge Could Potentialy Increase the Expansion/Mushrooming of a Projectile upon Impact.
Especially in Pure Soft Lead. If nothing else, the Surface Impact/Trauma would be Dramatic/Impressive, at the Least!
Just My 2 Cents,
UncleSarge58

Reactions: Grunt69

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Grunt 69, That's Not the Point (or Is It)
Such a Charge Could Potentialy Increase the Expansion/Mushrooming of a Projectile upon Impact.
Especially in Pure Soft Lead. If nothing else, the Surface Impact/Trauma would be Dramatic/Impressive, at the Least!
Just My 2 Cents,
UncleSarge58
I can buy that, but I'm one who believes that "over penetration" is a myth. Super expanding soft lead probably wouldn't penetrate nearly as well as a 525 gr Piledriver. I like a bullet that will shoot through the barricade then through the target--always reaching the vitals. Bullets are tools and there is a place for everything. I'm sure that the soft lead w/charge bullet would do a job on the first couple of water filled milk jugs--and that is for sure cool. I carry only 230 gr ball for my every day gun even though they wouldn't put on nearly the show that a soft hollow point would with the jugs. I stand corrected--there is a time and place for everything.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I would be very careful about making or using exploding bullets. I do know that international treaties and laws ban the use of exploding bullets below a certain size. " The Declaration Renouncing the Use, in Time of War, of Explosive Projectiles Under 400 Grammes Weight (the 'Saint Petersburg Declaration') prohibits the use in international armed conflict of any projectile of a weight below 400 grammes, which is either explosive or charged with fulminating or inflammable substances." But unknown about local government here in the USA. No use in giving the anti gunners more ammo so to speak to push their agenda.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Of course I would never make an explosive round because it is against the law but if I could find a way to make a 45acp blow a front door off its hinges.... I would want to know how to do that... :biggrin: I like things that go bang and boom

Doc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.