Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photographers -why does it look like the head & tail of the shadow dog are opposite the real dog?

Took this the other day while hiking with my dog. Looks like the shadow legs are correct, but are the head and tail on the shadow swapped? Or does it just look that way?

Thanks, Guy

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
The angle of the sun. It can do some pretty cool tricks with angles.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
What BMW said, plus the uneven ground makes for some surprising effects.
Pretty neat photo.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Very neat photo.

The angle of the sun, it being to the front left of the direction the pointer is walking ... plus the fact that the breed has a cropped tail and well-known fluffy tail feathers (for those of us familiar with having to keep dog crap out of them) ... and then you consider the angle of the sun accenting the thin lower jaw and the wagging tongue - it's all an optical-illusion of sorts given-away by noting the proper reflection/shadow of the legs not forgetting that the front legs and back legs are where they are supposed to be in the shadow.

You could probably try to reproduce that picture a 1000 times and not be successful. The hunter/photographer was trying to get the dog with the snow-capped picturesque background and lucked-up, as is so often the case when taking pictures. Sometimes you get lucky .... Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
That's funny.........and cool pic..........

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Cool...neat effect.!

Gotta watch out for 'Ole Sol...he's got all kinds of tricks ...:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Gallo - what happened to your dog? He looks demented!

Happy, but demented... :biggrin:
LOL

Oh my goodness! You got that right!

I just about spit out my coffee laughing and looking at that dog's smile in that picture too!

Cate

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Photographers -why does it look like the head & tail of the shadow dog are opposite the real dog?

Took this the other day while hiking with my dog. Looks like the shadow legs are correct, but are the head and tail on the shadow swapped? Or does it just look that way?

Thanks, Guy
Cool picture!

Thank you.

Cate

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
If you hadn't taken it I would have said Photoshop.

Reactions: kybob

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Very neat photo.

The angle of the sun, it being to the front left of the direction the pointer is walking ... plus the fact that the breed has a cropped tail and well-known fluffy tail feathers (for those of us familiar with having to keep dog crap out of them) ... and then you consider the angle of the sun accenting the thin lower jaw and the wagging tongue - it's all an optical-illusion of sorts given-away by noting the proper reflection/shadow of the legs not forgetting that the front legs and back legs are where they are supposed to be in the shadow.

You could probably try to reproduce that picture a 1000 times and not be successful. The hunter/photographer was trying to get the dog with the snow-capped picturesque background and lucked-up, as is so often the case when taking pictures. Sometimes you get lucky .... Thanks for sharing.

This is a cute, funny and good picture!

It is making me laugh out loud here. It is making me SMILE too.

Thank you.

Cate

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The uneven ground has distorted the shadow.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Gallo-

I feel like your dog looks.

I have had just enough beer and will turn in now.

M

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Neat! OP pic reminds me of some of the Bev Doolittle painting effects!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts