Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Expert Opinions

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  papabear 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I posted these yesterday on the 336 picture thread, but I'm looking for a little feedback. I bought this 1976 a few weeks ago as my first lever action. Picked it up for $250, which I thought was a great deal, but it was worn with time as a lot of us are. I decided she needed a new look so I refinished her and cleaned and polished all parts and blueing. This is the fourth rifle I've refinished and found a passion for it. I'm thinking of possibly starting a small side business refinishing gems like this. Let me know your thoughts. I for one, love it even more now. Here are the before and after pics.
Wood Antique tool Framing hammer

See less See more
#6 ·
I like it. I think it looks great. Nice job.
Tomcatt

#7 ·
nice work

#16 ·
I used Tru Oil for the finish.

I haven't done any type of gun smithing but that's definitely some good info. The ones I've completed so far were my own or family members.

I figured I'd get some purists that would frown at the gloss, but that's okay. I welcome all opinions.

Thanks guys.

In St. Louis, MO by the way.

#10 ·
To do gunsmith work you will need a FFL unless you have the customer stand around while you do the work. You can remove the wood and hand the remains back to the customer as long as you do not retain the part with the serial number. You can buy guns and do the work then resell them though without the FFL, don't what your state laws are like. I like what I can see but I would really like some better pics of the finished rifle with closeups. From what I see you could flip that rifle for a nice profit if you want to.
Blueing is a different subject and others can better inform you on that. If you put your state in your profile you can get some feedback on you enterprise from people that live there. Best of luck and good fortune in your endeavor.
And welcome to Marlin Owners from NE Indiana

Reactions: Ray Newman
#15 ·
looks great!

#17 ·
Looks good to me, nice job. Enjoy...

#19 ·
You can always dull the TruOil finish with Sheen or OOOO steel wool. I bought a TruOiled Texan a few years ago, and i have never bothered to dull it.

I did a lot of stock refinishing and pad jobs in the 70s. I never brought the metal home with me, just the wood. I ran across my jigs a few days ago.

Reactions: 9cLefty
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.