Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't need a new rifle but I want one. And I want an other Marlin to complement my 336XLR and 1895G. Both are fine shooting specimens which I adore, but I would love a rifle in a more “cowboy like configuration”. In my country -Norway- they are few and far between, but just the other day I came across a 1895CB at a dealer not to far away from where I live. I promptly said I would buy it -then I asked for the price. Should have made it the other way around, because he told me it was 12.300,- Norwegian Kroner... That translates in to about 2.400,- USD!

This makes it one of the most expensive rifle I have ever bought. Even more so than the Rem 700 Alaskan Ti that I had to sell in order to buy this one. Insanity or a bad case of “Marlinitis”? I don't know, but this gun has the “JM” on the barrel, a serial number that doesn't start with MR and It's been sitting in the dealers rack for more than a year. From what I understand this should be the “Real Deal”, and therefore my last chance to buy a new and real Marlin. The wood on this rifle is far from stunning, but otherwise it seems like a nice rifle with a good action. I can't wait to shoot it!

Is it worth that much money? Probably not, but sometimes you just have to get a little crazy in order to get what you want -and I want this gun badly!

I hope to pick it up next week. Time moves slowly...

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Malle said:
I don't need a new rifle but I want one. And I want an other Marlin to complement my 336XLR and 1895G. Both are fine shooting specimens which I adore, but I would love a rifle in a more “cowboy like configuration”. In my country -Norway- they are few and far between, but just the other day I came across a 1895CB at a dealer not to far away from where I live. I promptly said I would buy it -then I asked for the price. Should have made it the other way around, because he told me it was 12.300,- Norwegian Kroner... That translates in to about 2.400,- USD!

This makes it one of the most expensive rifle I have ever bought. Even more so than the Rem 700 Alaskan Ti that I had to sell in order to buy this one. Insanity or a bad case of “Marlinitis”? I don't know, but this gun has the “JM” on the barrel, a serial number that doesn't start with MR and It's been sitting in the dealers rack for more than a year. From what I understand this should be the “Real Deal”, and therefore my last chance to buy a new and real Marlin. The wood on this rifle is far from stunning, but otherwise it seems like a nice rifle with a good action. I can't wait to shoot it!

Is it worth that much money? Probably not, but sometimes you just have to get a little crazy in order to get what you want -and I want this gun badly!

I hope to pick it up next week. Time moves slowly...
Pretty tough to put a price tag on your happiness. Congrats on a fine rifle! The CB's all seem to have fairly simple wood for some reason.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Congratulations!!! :)

That was a great story!!!
The price might hurt a bit now, but in the end you will be very happy with your new rifle!!!

Please post pics when you get it home!!!

Good luck!!! :)

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
That's pretty cool ;D You're really going to like that rifle...I haven't had my 1895 LTD-V very long, but it's already one of my top all time favorite rifles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll post pictures along with a rangereport as soon as I get a chance to take it to the range! If it´s as accurate as my 1895G it will make me very happy indeed. Despite the high price tag.

This is a group my 1895G printed last week. It was shot at 100 meters, from a sitting position and with Skinners marvelous peep sight. It turned out to be the best group of the day, but a few others were not far behind. To be honest, I have to say that this level of accuracy is a lot better than what I've experienced from quite a few bolt guns I have owned over the years.

I used my favorite load made of 400 gr Lee cast, 42 grs of Vithavuori N130, Federal primer and Starline brass. Nice all round load that gives 501 m/s -1644 fps- from the stubby barrel of the 1895G.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
:) You did good , Malle... shoot it, enjoy it..after a few years if you want..sell it for 24,600 Norwegian Kroners ;D

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
You're in Norge, it is what it is, don't look back on that outlay because you're going to really love it and nobody else is going to have one!. Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all :)!

The wait is over! I'm going to the range in a few hours to se what it's capable of. I rally like my 1895G and 336 XLR, but this one is a real beauty. I do hope it shoots as good as it looks!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Very well balanced. ;D ;D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
janott said:
Very well balanced. ;D ;D
Indeed! This thing feels like a nice shotgun when I shoulder it. I'm looking forward to carry it come next hunting season -you can hardly feel it's real weight when it's carried in one hand. From the charts the 1895G is lighter than the 1895CB, but when I heft them in my hand up it feels like the CB is the lighter of the two.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Malle said:
Indeed! This thing feels like a nice shotgun when I shoulder it. I'm looking forward to carry it come next hunting season -you can hardly feel it's real weight when it's carried in one hand. From the charts the 1895G is lighter than the 1895CB, but when I heft them in my hand up it feels like the CB is the lighter of the two.
That is very common and I get the same sense from mine. I've handed my CB and G to folks from the very experienced to the completely novice and all of them have said the G is the heavier rifle. Marlin did real good when they made the 1895CB. :)

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
uh-oh............but you're in the right place, someone's gonna get you all squared away and fixed up here, unfortunately it is not me. A real shame though, in Norway no less!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To day has been a wonderful day at the range ;D! The CB now works without a single malfunction and I got some groups with the buck horns that makes me hopeful for the future. In total I put 60 rounds trough it. The CB have by far the best trigger of my three Marlins and it's a blast to shoot.

This is about as good as it gets when I shoot with buck horn sights.

I seems like the barrel heats up pretty fast -much faster than my 1895G- but I guess this is because of the somewhat skinnier barrel.

The guy who I buy my cast bullets from turned up at the range with some of his pet guns, and I got a chance to try them all. At the end of the day I had to line the guns up for a group picture.

The two Marlins are mine and the rest belong to the gentleman who cast my bullets. I think I need to get into this black powder rifle shooting. Wonderful guns that makes a lot of smoke and big holes!

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Great post Malle. I do not own the 1895CB but own CB's in .357 and .45 colt. The balance of these rifles in the hand is amazing in my opinion. Good luck with your new Marlin.

What are you going to hunt for with the 1895CB?

bjm

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you mr bigjeepman :) !

I'm going to use it (and the 1895G) for both moose and deer (red stag). For the smaller roe (looks a bit like a miniature white tail) I'm going to use my 336XLR, but I guess the .45-70 will be used as well along with some 300 grs RCBS hard cast.

Other than that I'm going to try to bag some small game with my Marlins just to show the tacticool guys I hubt and shoot with that they are on the wrong track ;) .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Malle said:
To day has been a wonderful day at the range ;D! The CB now works without a single malfunction and I got some groups with the buck horns that makes me hopeful for the future. In total I put 60 rounds trough it. The CB have by far the best trigger of my three Marlins and it's a blast to shoot.

This is about as good as it gets when I shoot with buck horn sights.

I seems like the barrel heats up pretty fast -much faster than my 1895G- but I guess this is because of the somewhat skinnier barrel.

The guy who I buy my cast bullets from turned up at the range with some of his pet guns, and I got a chance to try them all. At the end of the day I had to line the guns up for a group picture.

The two Marlins are mine and the rest belong to the gentleman who cast my bullets. I think I need to get into this black powder rifle shooting. Wonderful guns that makes a lot of smoke and big holes!
I occurred to me that I should mention the other rifles in the picture. The two rolling blocks are made in Sweden around 1870. The one with the long barrel is a 12,7 mm (.50”), but I don't remember which .50. The other one is a custom made .45-100. The stock is made by the owner out of birch wood, with a mercury recoil dampener in the butt stock. The Sharps is a replica made by Pedersoli in .45-70. A nice tight grouping gun indeed (I want one -bad!)!

The funny thing about this range trip is that my two buddies who where equipped with a couple of tricked out “tactical rifles” spent most of the time shooting the single shots and my two lever guns. I guess they discovered the pure joy of iron sights and large, slow moving bullets!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts