Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are typical 100-yd group sizes with these actions/calibers? I’m debating between one of these and a .308 bolt gun with synthetic stock for a mountain rig. Obviously the bolt can be shot accurately and will be a more typical choice for this use but I just like hunting with lever guns when I can.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Da Duke, nice shooting...except that Zombie Elk also require a shot to the brain case so, while it looks like you on you got to aim a little higher.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Off a bench my 356, 307, 338 ME, and 30-30 are all sub MOA. Some around 1/2 MOA. My 1894 45 ACP and 1895 are around MOA but no more than 1.25 MOA. That kind of accuracy is outstanding for even bolt guns

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
At 100 yards with a sand bag rest and my old eyes I was impressed. I needed to sight this thing in and the nose was easy to pick out. Notice me walking the shots in. But....your right gdpolk that zombie lived. Soulda gave it on in the brain matter.

·
Administrator
30,788 Posts
The majority of folks get sub-moa many .5 moa with their 308ME's. Hand loading my custom bullets I've gotten .0285 group as my best group. .5 moa is routine for my 2007 308MX.

Jack

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
I have a 308Win in a Savage 99 and a 308MX Marlin.
Both shoot 1" to 1-1/2" groups at 100yds.
On a day when I can shoot like I used to could,
I could maybe get a 1/2" group...
I also have a 338MX and it will shoot just as good
but be prepared for the added recoil.
It is about equal to shooting a 30-06 with 180gr ammo.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I don't know guys - having either a lever or bolt action rifle consistently capable of shooting half inch groups at 100 yards, I wouldn't think is all that common and then to have the shooter consistently capable of shooting 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards is another big variable along with either match grade commercial ammo or reloads.

Using the lever action off a good rest, I use to get 2 to 5 inch groups at 100 yards with the vast majority of those groups being between 3 and 4 inches and that was with a 9X scope. Open sights the groups rarely were under 3" and most groups were 4 to 6 inches with one or two rounds not wanting to play with the others. Now out of the box 308 bolt action usually will shoot better than a lever action but again - less than 1 MOA is asking a lot from both the rifle and shooter.

I do have a nice bolt action 308 that is well bedded in a synthetic stock, a 24" match grade Krieger barrel, Tubb's firing pin, has a 1.5 oz jewell trigger with a 30X scope - off a good rest with my reloads and calm conditions I can consistently hold 5 rounds between 0.300" and 0.400". On occasion I can shoot under 0.200"s but those groups are rare, so I do know how to handle a well set-up rifle from several decades of competition rifle/pistol shooting. Now that doesn't mean I can't miss an easy shot on a big target, because I can and I have!!!

For a mountain rig where shooting will be around that 100 yard range - I would consider weight as the major factor, as IMO, either action type will be accurate enough at that range.

·
Registered
40 Posts
...Obviously the bolt can be shot accurately and will be a more typical choice for this use but I just like hunting with lever guns when I can.
The 308MX is perfect for what you are looking to accomplish. .308 bolt action performance in a traditional style lever action rifle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Have had two, still own one, both had similar accuracy, which fires a handloaded 170gr Rem HP bullet that was is about 1.5 inch, some times a little less at 100yds. Also have two BLRs, a 308 and 7mm WSM, both of these are capable of one inch groups on a good day. I take the BLR 7mm WSM on days where some serious reach/power maybe called for, a short action with the thin 22 inch barrel, makes for a very handy carry rifle. Also favor the 308 BLR with a similar 170gr load over the MX because it is lighter. The 7mm WSM cartridge has sort of died on the vine, and would opt for the 270 or 300 WSM today.

Reactions: Nodrama43

·
Super Moderator
17,805 Posts
I have a 2008 308MX and on a very good day ( my best day ever with this rifle ) .750" group at 100 yards. 4" group at 300 yards and my Lady rang an 8" dinger at 300 yards. Bolt guys at the 300 yard range were scratching there heads and asking what the heck we were shooting...

·
Super Moderator
11,158 Posts
I thought the 338MX was Marlins way of giving you 30-06 power in a lever gun. I have both---a JM 338 and a Remlin 308ME. My bolt rifles will outshoot the Marlins but I feel more challenged using the lever gun.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
The majority of folks get sub-moa many .5 moa with their 308ME's. Hand loading my custom bullets I've gotten .0285 group as my best group. .5 moa is routine for my 2007 308MX.

Jack
^^^^^^. This! My MX rifles shoot .5 all day long if I do my part. My 338 is chopped to 20” and the 308 to 19”.

The first 308 mx I owned shot into one hole several times at 100 yards shooting FACTORY Remington 150 grain ammo. I now reload for both my MX rifles. If I could only have one Marlin without question I would choose my 2008 338mx.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I’ve got 2 .338’s and a .308ME. I consistently see under 2moa performance. All three have had trigger jobs and pulls are 3-4lbs. (5-shots. 3-shot groups tell you little...)

The .308ME tends to string groups low after 3-shots. Often first three shots will go under 1”.
Im using LVR powder and FTX bullets in 2-stainless rifles.

The .338MX (blue/Walnut) is a dedicated cast bullet gun. It gets a Lee 220gr RNGC. Hunting bullets are hollow pointed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.