Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yeah, quite a few old Marlins have it. None of the cures is very cheap. Set the barrel back - well, not on a valuable one. It might be okay on a shooter, but for the cost, you could find a 336 without headspace. I have a 36 in 32Spl with an exceptionally sweet trigger - and headspace. I went to light cast bullet loads and neck sizing which took care of the symptoms. It still has headspace, of course, but it ain't getting any worse that I can tell. This is a price bargaining point if the seller touts it as a shooter and there's end play in the bolt. I've known people to build the locking bars up on Wrenchesters, but I don't know anyone who's done that on a Marlin. SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Yes, the locking block on a Marlin can be built up, but it is best to get a new one rather than build it up. I've done it on old ones, where the part isn't available, but I wouldn't do it for any but my own. The metallurgy could be changed by welding, and since I shoot only very mild loads in mine, it's not a problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
headspace

Thank you, have been on vacation for a little bit. It is a keeper 93. I have no skills for your solutions, guess it is time to find a good gun smith, any sugestions again thanks

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Since we can't tell where you're at, it's tough to send you somewhere for gunsmithing. If you let us know what state you're in, maybe someone can help.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Contact Ron Long. He left Ballard and is back on his own. Not sure , but I think he's in Laramie or Cheyenne.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts