Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Hornady also lists A1680. I've tryed it but need to work with it some more for my 375. My 38-55 CB liked it just fine, haven't tryed it in my 375 ruger #3 or my two H&R 38-55's yet. I WILL be working with this powder more with this caliber. DP

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
If the load is listed in the Lee manual, they copied it from somebody else. They don't do their own testing, they just reprint data from other sources.

I never would have thought of using 1680..............it seems awfully fast for that application, especially with a 220-grain bullet. I guess the fact that it's a straight case has an effect on the pressure curve.

I'm not sure where that load data came from.............the 375 Win isn't even listed in their latest data manual. I might have to dig out my old loadbooks and see how old that data is.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Hornady's reloading manual lists A-1680 with the 220 gr FP with the max charge listed at 41.2gr and 2300 FPS out of a Winchester "Big Bore 94" with a 20" barrel. DP

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
dpe.ahoy said:
Hornady's reloading manual lists A-1680 with the 220 gr FP with the max charge listed at 41.2gr and 2300 FPS out of a Winchester "Big Bore 94" with a 20" barrel. DP
Looking through my older Accurate Arms data booklets I found ONE with data for the 375 Winchester, published back in 1988, and they show a MAXIMUM load (22" barrel)with the 220 Hornady of 29.0 grains of AA-1680. That is fully TWELVE grains LESS than what is being cited here. Max velocity with that load was 1850 fps.............

It makes one wonder if the powder has been re-formulated, or if there is some kind of Voodoo involved.

I would approach the Hornady load with EXTREME caution. A call to Accurate Arms would seem like a good idea. I'd love to hear what Marty Liggins would say about that discrepancy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
dpe.ahoy said:
My Hornady manual does not list 1680 for the 375 Win. All my other manuals stop at 38.0 Grs. for 220 gr. bullets and AA-1680.Ran it through Quickload also and 41.2 Grs. of 1680 with a 220 Gr. bullet will indeed give a lot of velocity but is accompanied by action straining pressures-beyond 80,000 lbs of it.If I remember correctly mine was getting sticky just short of 38 Grs. with the same bullet.
My Lee manual stops at 38.0 grs. My thoughts are to forget that load and stick to the manuals.High velocity is not everything and the mentioned bullets are not designed for that kind of speed either.The more accurate load will most probably be found well below max.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
My Lyman book says they got the best accuracy from reloaders 7. Have you tried this powder yet? I'm all about the accuracy. I don't care how fast it goes or how hard it hits, if you can't hit where it counts you're spinning your wheels. MHO

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
dpe.ahoy said:
Wow! maybe if that was the standard factory load, Marlin & Winchester would still be selling carbines in the .375WCF. :'(

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
The latest 2 editions of the Hornady manual both list that same powder charge. I just e-mailed Western Powder Co. with what charge weight they would recommend for a 375 Win. factory chambered Marlin. I'll let ya'll know what they say. DP

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Alright, I'm home now and lookin at both Hornady manuals. 7th edition, page 620 and 8th edition, page 694, list the same charge weight, 41.2gr for the max charge. I have not loaded that much, but did work up to 40.0gr in Winchester 38-55 brass, and fired loads extracted normal, primer looked normal. Now, these are NOT true indicators of pressure, but the best indicators I have available. As I stated above, I have contacted the distributers of Accurate powders and will let everyone know what they say. I have gotten good responses from them on other questions using powder they distribute. Western Powder Inc. bought Accurate Arms company in 2004 and have other sources for their powders. The extruded powders are produced primarily in Canada and the spherical powders come from the U.S. and Belgium. Artical in the August issue of Handloader on the Accurate powders. DP

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Please check the new thread for the reply from Western Powder, Inc. DP

Reactions: Travlin

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
Your cast bullets seat deeper than the 220 Hornady and the 200 Sierra.

I have to chuckle. This thread is from 2011, back when you could still buy AA1680.
Just bought some from Cabela's in early November.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
I've used 1680 with 200 gr. Sierra for approx 2400 fps. (2375 not corrected to muzzle) This is a potent moose / bear / deer / and elk load. Deep penetration and good wound channel on all the above.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Greetings
I have shot a lot of 1680. It does have some interesting characteristics with cast bullets which is the bulk of what I shoot. It does like heavy cast for caliber as cast does display less pressure but higher velocity. Heavy near case filling charges ignite better. So far I have not seen any pressure spikes in 375 Supermag through 375 Win and 38-55. Add a grain and you get another "x" fps. Accuracy was not the greatest but easily within 2.5 inches at 100. Case full of 3F (yes BP) would do near 1.5 inches which is my accuracy gauge in caliber 38 with the same bullet but of 30-1. I would not hesitate to pop corn crunches with my 1680 loads with cast made of 50% WW and 50% range scrap with GC (Lyman 375449) .
Found in the 414 Supermag with 265-290 grain cast my revolver and 336 Marlin slightly compressed burned clean and gave good consistent groups. Found the same in the 405 JES (41-444).

Bottom line .. I use it in straight wall cases and expect similar results. Never found a load that would beat my previous "most accurate load" in a revolver or rifle but not bad. It would be interesting to try the best summer load at 20 degrees. Never have had that opportunity.
Mike in Peru

1 - 20 of 40 Posts