Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here guys. I bought some 35 Rem ammo in Lever Evolution and was very satisfied with its performance on the range.

The problem Im having is getting a definite answer from anyone as to exactly what kind of bullet it is. My reason for concern is I often shoot deer at closer ranges 20 to 70yds. Ive shot deer at these ranges with my 270 matched with balistic tips and the bullets blew up and did not penetrate half the time. To me the new Hornaday ammo looks like a Balistic Tip.

The so called ammo expert at the store where I bought it said it is absolutely not a balistic tip and he would never recomend one to anyone.
I emailed Hornady and called them and got 2 different answers!
The guy on the phone would not come out and say exactly what design the bulet was by nomenclature but did say its a "long range" bullet but will still perform well at close ranges. Another guy via email said its a long range bullet designed to expand rapidly and would not perform well at closer ranges. He also would not define the exact type of bullet even with a direct written question.

I know its a long range bullet thats why I bought it; but what I want to know is what will this bullet do If I shoot an animal at close range? With all the contradicting info it sounds like if theres evolution bullets in my magazine and a deer comes in close I need to empty my magazine and put in round/soft nose bullets.
HELP!

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Think of is as a controlled expansion hp with a soft ballistic tip. The same as the hard ballistic tips only with the hornady you have a proven design on the jacketed hp. Team them with the new XLR with a 24 inch bbl and you have a whole new generation of Marlin lever shooters that will pass on levergun shooting to more generations. I cheer the folks at Hornady on and if their new bullets bring in new shooters and levergunners fine. If it makes their competition produce the same type of ammo that would be good also.

G

·
336C/35 Rem said:
I often shoot deer at closer ranges 20 to 70yds. Ive shot deer at these ranges with my 270 matched with balistic tips and the bullets blew up and did not penetrate half the time. ] HELP![/b]

I have to disagree with you . I've killed a lot of deer over the years with Nosler Ballistic Tips in variouse calibers. Anything from a 243 with a 95 grain to a 375H&H with a 260 grain . The only time I ever experienced anything like what you say was with a 264 Win Mag and the 120 grain Ballistic Tip , but this deer was shot at what I now believe was to acute an angle. Meaning the bullet was glancing off the ribs instead of hitting direct. And when he turned after the first shot I shot him behind the shoulder again and he folded within 10 feet of where it all started. Now lets see i've used ballistic tips in the following calibers to kill deer;243WIN , 260REM , 7mm-08REM , 308WIN , 264 Win Mag , 7mm Rem Mag , 7mm Ultra Mag ,280REM , 300 Win Mag , 375 H&H Mag , 25-06 , and 7-30 Waters(a contender).
You may be correct about the 270. I once had a Kimber 89BGR in 270 that I had loaded with 130 grain Ballistic Tips . But I never got the oppurtunity to kill a deer with it. Shot a couple groundhogs thou .
All of these were handloaded rounds, no factory. Not that it makes a difference I suppose .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SO...you dont think it will "over expand" (like some Balistic Tips) if I take a close range shot. I love the way these bullets shoot but I want to feel confident its an all range bullet. I want my bullets to perform at 20yds as well as 200yds. Thanks for the info! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know what to say. It hapened to me twice (the balistic tips just blew themselves apart and did not penetrate) Both 270, 140 grains by Big Green. One was 30yds and one 50. Dont get me wrong...they still cleanly killed the deer and did TONS of damage....just didnt penetrate. I still use them in my 270...untill I run out of them. Im just hoping the Evolutions in 35 Rem wont do that at close range.

G

·
336C/35 Rem said:
SO...you dont think it will "over expand" (like some Balistic Tips) if I take a close range shot. I love the way these bullets shoot but I want to feel confident its an all range bullet. I want my bullets to perform at 20yds as well as 200yds. Thanks for the info! :D
I've killed somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 deer with ballistic tips and about 20 more with Hornady SST's. With one not optimum experience. Think about this, if the bullet wasn't good and or proven do you honestly think they would sell so many :?: Nosler sells way more BT's then Partition's. The closest deer I ever killed with a BT was 10 yards and he dropped like a sack of potatos. Killed a bunch under 50 yards . The one I shot with the 264 was about 35 yards.

G

·
For a guy that shoots bolt guns and wants good accuracy and killability. The polymer tip bullets are the way to go for deer size animals. Doesn't matter wether you use Ballistic Tips , SST's or Scirrocco's; cause thats what they were made for :wink:

G

·
336C/35 Rem said:
I dont know what to say. It hapened to me twice (the balistic tips just blew themselves apart and did not penetrate) Both 270, 140 grains by Big Green. One was 30yds and one 50. Dont get me wrong...they still cleanly killed the deer and did TONS of damage....just didnt penetrate. I still use them in my 270...untill I run out of them. Im just hoping the Evolutions in 35 Rem wont do that at close range.

What do you mean by penetrate ? Shoot thru ? Seems to me they did their job. In your own words you say they cleanly killed the deer with "tons of damage".
Personally I have no problem with a bullet that stays in a deer. If you have a bullet that is not violent and slips easily thru the deer you will probably have to go lookin. Where as on the other hand if you have a bullet that blows totally up inside the chest cavity , you'll more then likely have a deer laying where you shot him.
But again this is based on my own experiences. If I could only hunt with polymer tipped bullets for the rest of my life I could live with it . I would still take all the deer I wanted. I just wouldn't have as many choices to play with :!:

G

·
I got one of the new Marlin XLR's and plan on using the Leverevolution in them. I also got a couple boxes of the 35 REM to use in my 336D. After I kill a deer with each I'll probably try something else :? But to me thats what is fun , trying different loads and guns. 8)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Actually these remind me of the Powerbelt blackpowder bullets, just with a rubber tip, wish I could get them (just bullets) in bulk. Les

G

·
Violator22 said:
Actually these remind me of the Powerbelt blackpowder bullets, just with a rubber tip, wish I could get them (just bullets) in bulk. Les

I agree , under most circumstances I prefer to load my own :wink:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They did not "shoot all the way through" Not a huge issue as they both fell within 30yds but the only thing that I didnt like was with all the internal damage and no exit wound the deer left NO Blood Trail....what if they had run further???

What I think is hapening here is Hornady makes a better bullet than the Big Green I use in my 270. From my first post the guy at the gun store said he Never had that problem with any of Hornadys Balistic Tip styled variations. He said Hornady does a better job of controling expansion.

So now back to my original question. You guys are saying Hornadys Lever-Evolution are family to the SST's in design? and......that when I put Lever Evolutions in my 336C in 35 Rem they will work as well at 20yds as at 150yds??? Thats what I truly want to know
Thanks for helping

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
336, if you will be patient I will have the answer to your question in great detail. I have to write it up since I've done the testing, and it will take awhile, but bear with me. You will have more information than you need, trust me.

It will be out in a few weeks. Here's an early clue: don't worry about overexpansion. It is most similar to Hornady's existing 200 grain spire point.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Can't say for the 35, but the 30-30 round worked fine at about 30 yards.
Actually, better than fine, as the shot was a little further back then I wanted and I expected a long tracking job in heavy brush, found the deer dead about 50' in. Bullet nicked the paunch and hit the liver.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Call Hornady and talk to one of the Techs, they are good guys and will give you all the info you want. 1-800-338-3220

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Good right up in American Rifleman this month on the new ammo..

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a hard time believing a bullet traveling at 30/30 or 35 Rem velocities is going to blow up and not penetrate on a close range shot, even if it is a relatively lightly constructed bullet. A ballistic tip at .270 velocities is going to act alot differently than ballistic tip at 35 Rem velocities.

I guess we'll soon see what the master has learned. 8)

·
Registered
697 Posts
During our anterless season, I used the leverevolution in 30-30 on three deer at ranges of 35yds or so for 2 of them and about 80 yards for the 3rd. All I can say is it did the job quite well. Quartering angles for all 3 shots. Bullets passed through for 2 and the 3rd ran into shoulder blade, ribs, and spine. It didn't make it through but, did a hell of a lot of damage. Dropped on the spot. Not sure how they would act loaded in a 307 or Ai. I love um. Rick

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Once they are available as component bullets, they're going to sell a LOT of them. Including to me! And no, I can't see a 35 Remington bullet of any design coming apart in a deer. The Speer 180 SP does such a good job, I don't need anything "better". I'm not yet convinced it exists!

Papajohn

1 - 20 of 22 Posts