Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bragging on my 336C in 35 Remmy for a couple years now, but the last time at the range the accuracy was awful, 3" groups at 50 yards. It has NEVER shot poorly, so I tore it completely apart tonight and cleaned it from stem to stern. I got a lot of copper out of the barrel with Wipeout and a lot of scrubbing, but the odd thing was that there was a TON of unburned PISTOL powder in the action, all over the place. Like a pistol load had lost the bullet and the powder had poured out into the action. And yes, it was unburned, very obviously. Pretty weird. I'm going to try the proven loads again next week, but I think the scope may have finally given up. I'll know more next week, but the other thought is that it's not the gun, it's ME. I shot my 1894/44 Mag this week, and it was also scattering shots with unproven, experimental loads. All the screws were tight, scope mounts and barrel bands and everything else, I'm still scratching my head over this one.

Aside from the scope, is there anything that will make a rifle suddenly go south? I can't think of anything else to check!

Papajohn

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Humidity and heat affect them too.... if you cleaned it that good you will have to foul the barrel again some to get the accuracy back.. and you could have had too much coffee that morning.. all things come into play.. yep the scope could have went belly up too..

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
a good cleaning....even though you've done it before....try it AGAIN....this time with Sweets ...and be careful with the Sweets. After cleaning my 35 Remington 336 a number of times, the Sweets did the job. Also clean the action...and then re-foul the gun by shooting....mine went from tumbling every bullet that wasn't a 150 gr. to shooting everything and accurately, as well. BIG difference now!!

Checking the scope, as suggested, and limiting the caffeine...well...required, maybe....if you're in Utah! :lol:

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've had 2-3 things coincidentally go wrong all at once. Makes you think you've not found what's wrong when you've found at least part of the problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Check the muzzle, you may have dinged it. This would cause your accuracy to fall off quickly. Use a strong magnifying glass to see small inperfections.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
silver1218 said:
Check the muzzle, you may have dinged it. This would cause your accuracy to fall off quickly. Use a strong magnifying glass to see small inperfections.
Yup. Whenever I have a gun that seems right and won't shoot, I just break out a glass marble (won it from my 5 year old fair and square :lol: ) and some valve grinding compound. It doesn't cure a fouled barrel, or busted scope, but so far has saved several ole faithfuls from the trade route and has yet to worsen a rifle. Just be sure to clean all the compound from the bore when you're done. :)

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello papajohn-You bet. The worst case was a winchester model 70 30-06 that was a pre 64 model. I had shot a 5/8" group with it one time and had shot great groups with it over time. this rifle in a matter of a few hundred rounds went from that to a scattergun when the barrel gave up. It happened so suddenly it took me some time to figure out the barrel had just simply quite holding the bullets. I had a new barrel made for it and it shoots fine again. I have been fooled by fouling may times however :lol: Life is good, BestLever

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate to say it, but I think the problem is more me than anything else. Going to the range when I'm tired, or over-caffeinated, or don't have the right equipment. I'm going to re-do the loads VERY carefully, I spent all weekend prepping new brass, flash holes uniformed, trimmed to equal lengths, all of it. I have new bullets, fresh powder, and new primers. If it still doesn't do well I'll know it's the rifle, not me or the ammo. And the crown looks PERFECT.

Papajohn.........you ARE the weakest Link! :roll:

PJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts