Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been dreaming here lately .. of a southern flintlock rifle ...
.44 ? caliber ?
I've wanted a HIGH QUALITY flinter forever....
who or where would you go to ?
who on here shoots a flinter ?
tell me why i want one... lol
still dreaming ... I've looked around a little bit .. but 4 grand kinda steep ....i might go 3k ...
idk .. we'll see .... :)

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Contact Matt at TVM, at 3k, he can build a really nice rifle. Or buy a Jim chambers kit and have someone build it, there are many fine builders over at Traditional Muzzleloader site. Normally a Southern Style is cheaper to build.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
You do not buy a great flinter, you make one, or have one built for you.

They is no great production flinters, they are all inferior to custom parts.

A Chamber's or L&R lock, are the two finest locks made. You will NEVER find them on cheap third world production guns out there.

Dont say you cant, they did 100s of years ago, YES WE CAN (hell it worked for Barry)

This is my copy of a Sheetz school Virgina rifle

Lock.JPG

Southern rifles rock
All American Made

Late Ketland Chamber's lock (fastest lock ever made, as of the time I bought it)(mine was tuned by ole man Rice himself)(he is the "R" in L&R)
Crockett double set triggers
TN black walnut to hold it all together (pinned and glass beded in)
42 inch swamped & stress relieved barrel, in 45 cal
It puts a round ball @ 2033fps
Lets see you production gun do that

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
DSCF1261.jpg here is a doe i shot with my 50 cal. lyman hawken. i just built a 62 cal. jaeger, no photos. but for the money you can't beat the lyman. the flintlocks are fun to shoot and a pain to clean. but always use real bp.

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You do not buy a great flinter, you make one, or have one built for you.

They is no great production flinters, they are all inferior to custom parts.

A Chamber's or L&R lock, are the two finest locks made. You will NEVER find them on cheap third world production guns out there.

Dont say you cant, they did 100s of years ago, YES WE CAN (hell it worked for Barry)

This is my copy of a Sheetz school Virgina rifle

View attachment 114325

Southern rifles rock
All American Mbeautifulte Ketland Chamber's lock (fastest lock ever made, as of the time I bought it)(mine was tuned by ole man Rice himself)(he is the "R" in L&R)
Crockett double set triggers
TN black walnut to hold it all together (pinned and glass beded in)
42 inch swamped & stress relieved barrel, in 45 cal
It puts a round ball @ 2033fps
Lets see you production gun do th at[/QUOTE

awsome!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I agree with Starrbow check with TVM. They built my hunting flinter a early Virginia in .54 for deer. I have had it for eight or nine years and I am very happy with it. I want a southern rifle, but I plain to have this one built as a .36 for tree rats.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I will tell you Buckweet the best thing I ever did was in 1999 I ordered a custom rifle for me the way I wanted. Cost me back then a whole 1500 dollars. The best muzzle loader I have ever had and still own. One of my first hunts for bison in New Mexico the guide had reservations but at 100 yards I took a nice bull and I think the guide was more excited than me. This is a one time deal, do not short yourself. I have never regretted ordering that rifle .

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Check around the web. There are several good builders out there that can turn a kit into an heirloom. Look at several and handle some to see what style fits you. Check out American Longrifles forum. There are usually rifles posted in their for sale section and the best of the best builders are on that site. Go to the Library and view Kindigs "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in Its Golden Age" to see some fine examples of what was made in the 1700 and early 1800's.
I have seen rifles offered by Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading and they are good value for the beginner. Jim Chambers too.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I will tell you Buckweet the best thing I ever did was in 1999 I ordered a custom rifle for me the way I wanted. Cost me back then a whole 1500 dollars. The best muzzle loader I have ever had and still own. One of my first hunts for bison in New Mexico the guide had reservations but at 100 yards I took a nice bull and I think the guide was more excited than me. This is a one time deal, do not short yourself. I have never regretted ordering that rifle .

of all the wierd things that have happend to me in my life .. and some of the people I've met ..
one guy stands out .. Herschel House ..
met him bychanch in Kentucky back in 06 ..
we was on a motorcycle trip down by the green river..
would kill to have one of his rifles..
we thinking we might go to the longrifle show in lexington ky this weekend..
if we can get away ....
who knows what I'll buy .. ?
yep .. buy the best .. im a weee bits slow.
but buy the best . cry once. and itll last the rest of your life.. my ol petercar 1.6 million . still going strong. spent A TON of money buying it.
but it paid off.
but before i buy .. i need to try holding one.. and see if i can even see the sights..
my eyes ain't what they used to be ..

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
of all the wierd things that have happend to me in my life .. and some of the people I've met ..
one guy stands out .. Herschel House ..
met him bychanch in Kentucky back in 06 ..
we was on a motorcycle trip down by the green river..
would kill to have one of his rifles..
we thinking we might go to the longrifle show in lexington ky this weekend..
if we can get away ....
who knows what I'll buy .. ?
yep .. buy the best .. im a weee bits slow.
but buy the best . cry once. and itll last the rest of your life.. my ol petercar 1.6 million . still going strong. spent A TON of money buying it.
but it paid off.
but before i buy .. i need to try holding one.. and see if i can even see the sights..
my eyes ain't what they used to be ..
A House rifle is on a lot of bucket lists. Go to the CLA and you will get to see some really fine rifles. Get a good one and salt some away for that House rifle, they do come up for sale now and then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts