Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard (from a second hand statement, look out!) that stocks made from European walnut such as the CZ American, etc. can be brittle and can break easier than one might expect from something made from walnut. Anybody else hear this? 8)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I believe the grain isn't as dense as American Black Walnut, and it tends to be straight. (Believe it or not, European shooters prefer straight grain woods.) The combination of the two might lend for "easier" breakage but not from any kind of normal abuse. ~Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts
I really don't think one can make blanket stement about any particular species of wood used for stocks.Walnut -even within the same species and figure grade- simply varies TOO MUCH in density and hardness to come to such a conclusion.

YES, the wood used on the CZs IS a lower quality of European(most likely Turkish) SAP WOOD meaning the plain,bland, buff tan wood with no color to it.The folks at CZ stain the H%LL out of it to make it look better and they do a good job..

As to the overall hardness of the wood CZ uses,IMHO, it is NO worse than some of the pithy, brittle American Black walnut that U.S. manufacturers have been using for generations.I would be willing to bet the $20 sticks of plain wood CZ uses came from many of the SAME trees that also produced some $1,000+ root burl blanks for Berettas and Perazzi shotguns!!Just as a whole side of Beef ain't all Prime Rib,neither is the whole tree stuff to stock a Purdey Sidelock with..

The stock crack on a CZ m452 is more due to the design of the rear tang inlet in these guns.The rear tang is massive and on an American model especially there is a lot of wood removed for inletting it.If the stock screws are NOT kept snug,the stock is VERY susceptible to stress crack under shock -such as being dropped.

I have seen several CZ stocks that were cracked at the rear tang(always at the top) when dropped.Some of them were cracked during shipment.One was a CZ Special that had a VERY dense piece of BEECH used for it's stock and yet,it still cracked..

So much for blaming it on the wood density...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts