Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
we have a few here - called collared doves in these parts - also an invasive species with no limit but they're mostly in town

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
Texas parks & wildlife told me to kill all of them I saw no limit or season... Like furlong they are mostly in town, for those who have not seen one they are bigger than a whitewing dove & smaller than a pidgin, at least 50% bigger than a moringdove.

Reactions: navajo and turbobug

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
:dito:

Same here in Arizona, kill every one you can, no season, no limit. They're an invasive species in the U.S.A. they're everywhere.
I head shot as many as I can in my back yard with the pellet gun when I am feeling frisky.
Ive got a 2 acre lot with lots of shade trees and a small stream-pond water feature that all the birds congregate at. so they're always out there.. take a shot, 5 minutes, more come right back...piece of cake!

I'm one of about 9 guys that "backyard plink" them in our community. I see them mostly in residential areas and not so much in the desert.

And yes, they're very tasty, just a pain to clean em.

I mostly shoot em' for sport, pest control, and when I just want to play with guns without the hassle of loading up everything for a trip to the range.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Wacked one this year while dove hunting. They hang in town mostly around the grain elevators.

·
Super Moderator
23,680 Posts
Texas parks & wildlife told me to kill all of them I saw no limit or season... Like furlong they are mostly in town, for those who have not seen one they are bigger than a whitewing dove & smaller than a pidgin, at least 50% bigger than a moringdove.

Hey Mike, we got them over here too.
I guess I'm contributing to the problem since I
feed them...but I was only feeding the red birds
and finches and buntings...
Them things come and eat what's on the ground.
I don't figure they're hurting nothing.
I only got one pair...i guess I'll eat a few if they
multiply.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A Sheridan 25cal or Benjamin 22cal pump up is all you need.
And yes, they're very tasty, just a pain to clean em/[QUOTE]
skin them and wrap em in bacon, cook over fire or a hot oven until med rare.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
We call them double doves here. They are about twice the meat, and easier to hit!!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
They make the most godawful noise, too. I've just never heard anything more pathetic.

Reactions: furlong222

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
like sgt zim said...awful loud...I had a pair nesting in a tree out back....could not get any sleep....so I evicted em...:smile:

·
Registered
979 Posts
I see them often at home but have yet to shoot any. It's nice to know they taste good as I love morning doves. The Eurasians don't migrate south where I'm at like the morning doves so they're here all year.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I'd love to if I could find an area with plenty of them. They're invasive here, too. I've only seen them sporadically and they're tough to identify quickly.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'd love to if I could find an area with plenty of them. They're invasive here, too. I've only seen them sporadically and they're tough to identify quickly.
Not shooting on the wing it gets easier, same with spotting Band Tails when hunting Rockdoves (pigeons).

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I have never seen a Eurasian collared dove in Ohio. As prolific as they apparently are, I wonder how long it will be before I acquire one as a part of my bag while mourning dove shooting?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts