Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Excellent unit. Color screen, good battery life and can accept mapping options such as sat imagery. Only drawback for maps is the smaller screen.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was planning on buying my first gps- and was looking at that model. A local surveying supply place has it for $249.00 vs must other places at 199.99, but this surveying supply place will down load the topo maps of your choice- so in the long run I'm saving about $50.00 buying it thru them. Does anyone have any pros or cons on this unit?

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
my vote is for the rhino 120's... ok they eat batteries fairly quick ( about 3 for a full day of hunting...) but they do have radios and you can get maps too... between the party i hunt with we have about 8... pretty neat for coordinating hunts and drives... and saving waypoints to get back to... you can even send waypoints to others... about $200... maps are good... just watch out under the hemlock groves... thick pines and cloudy days make gps updates problematic some times!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought an etrex 20-I got it pacific survey- just because they will download what ever maps you want for free. I got the topo maps for the state of oregon for nothing and if I have plans to go some other state all I have to do is go in and say I want the map for that state

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I bought one just before the deer season here in Va., and like it. I was using the "little yellow" eTrex, and was quite happy with it, but the additional features of the 20 are nice. Seeing where you are on a map, and if using a topo, seeing the terrain is nice.

I bought a subscription to Birdseye, but if you go below 800 ft on the scape, it gets very blurry. I won't say get it or don't get, but I am somewhat disappointed.

The ability of the 20 to enter names and notes is very nice. "Little yellow" could only go about 8 characters, so names could get creative and hard to remember next year. With the 20, a stand can be named "outrageously productive stand" and in notes, I enter little things like the exact setup of my treestand cables, which direction to face, and such.

Accuracy is on par with the Little yellow, but it's no 62. But, get me to within 30 feet of my stand and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I got the etrex 20 and am very happy with it for hunting - I got Australia and NZ topo maps on Ebay for about $12 and its got both off road and Street maps on it ! I also have the back tracker for small jobs and less dense areas...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.