Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this post off of another board. This is something we all need to be aware of for sure!! This is why I do not listen to the radio or watch TV while reloading. Take care,

Dave 8)

"Folks I'd just like to say that I screwed up! there was a post about 308 caliber rifles and I offered a load that has been performing in my rifle without flaw or problem for over 4 years now but __ brought to my attention that the load I offered was OVER MAX! now being the perfectionist I thought I was I did not dispute what he said but you can bet I went to my load data and did some searching! and I must say that I HAD A HUGE OVERSITE READING LOAD DATA! I had printed out the Alliant load data and while I was looking the information over I was off a line and have been for the last 4 years loading a 168gr. SMK with load data for a 180gr. Sierra spitzer!

I hate to use load data that is over the SAMMI Max and I will try my darndest to keep away from it but this time I overlooked it and I just wanted to let everyone know that I screwed up and would like to apologize for my error and offering that data on this board that could possibly be unsafe in your rifle, I guess that's why everyone here should start lower than a posted charge weight and work up, it's common sense and it is the right thing to do. Now while this load works wonderful in my rifle with no sign of pressure or negative effect on the cases it could prove to be a real problem. Now the rifle these loads is a Masuer M48 action with a tight SAMMI chamber a very tight headspace which is probably the reason I have not noticed anything, the load could be ok but it is over max published data and I just want that to be known! so please do not use this load unless you work it up in your rifle.

__, good catch and I just want it to be know that while a load is working great in you rifle every once in awhile you may want to break open the manual and double check yourself, cause like me and the fact of being anal about load data numbers can be overlooked and I must say that the little overlooks can put you in a dangerous situation. So thanks for the catch __ and to the folks on this board I apologize for puttin a load out there that could be harmful. Later,"
___

Later in the thread string he posted this:

"__, I finally got home and looked up the Alliant site, now I don't know if I overlooked something but the 42.8gr powder charge I didn't see anything about it being a Max load, now I did see where it stated to drop 10% for starting loads. One thing I did see that I thought was a bit strange is that all the Speer manuals I have state the max pressure of the 308 is 52,000psi, now when you get into the Alliant database it states this load to be at 56,600psi My Nosler book I could not find a Max SAMMI pressure statement but I do know where I came up with 44.0gr. being a Max load, I was going off the load data for a Nosler 165gr. Ballistic tip bullet! I guess I just never thought to myself the difference's in bullet manufactures and powder manufacters would be that much different. Now I am curious as to the true SAMMI Max pressure of the 308! is it 52,000 like the Speer folks say or is the 56,600 or 58,000 or maybe the 62,000psi? I always thought it was 62,000psi!"

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
VTDW-Quickdtoohas it with the frogspad link. SAMMI pressures for everything. 308-62,000psi Life is good, BestLever

·
Registered
957 Posts
That "error" is as likely to be the book as the loader. The book shows a higher charge for a 180 grain bullet than for one of 168. The difference is quite small, 1.2 grains or about 2%, and the pressure of both loads is under max.

Published data is NOT the revealed truth. There are many variables and some room for interpetation. That's why loading manuals rarely agree and experienced reloaders have all found times that their guns did not agree with published data.

Nevertheless, the original poster seems to be a bit of an idjit. He clearly does not understand that the published max load may not have the SAAMI max pressure, nor does he seem to understand the distinction between cup and psi(a).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts