Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My black rifle is a VZ58 which because of how the ejection port is designed it is difficult to mount a non-scout scope. Now with a picatinny rail and a scout arrangement - no biggy. I do like the iron sights and can hit with them for shorter ranges but I have trouble with my bifocals hitting anything past 50 yards. I decided to put on an EOTech 512 sight. Right away I liked the sight for fast shooting offhand, but I wondered how well it would do for shooting at say 100 yards. I also have heard my Czechpoint gun is accurate at that range - more so than your typical VZ, but without a magnified scope I had never really tried to really see how accurate the pair were - until now...

I got a good bench at the range and set up targets at 50, 75, and 100 yards. The center dot of the EOTech reticule is 1 MOA or an inch at 100 yards (see below) - EOTech will tell you it's smaller than that, but most folks eyes can't seem to see it any smaller. I rested the forearm on a padded dowel rest and put my fist under the end of the rifle butt. Starting at 50 I started shooting and making sighting adjustments on the scope. I am finding that if I really focus on the center dot and concentrate on my breathing (B.R.A.S.S.) it works pretty well. By the time I got out to 100 I was shooting 2" and 3" groups!

That may not be exciting to some of you, but to a 52 year old man with bifocals shooting a non-magnified red-dot scope on a rifle that by its original specification is only required to shoot 4" groups - I can get excited about that. ;D ;D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I'm right there with you... anymore I can't focus on any type of rear sight blade so most of my rifles sport peep sights. For my new AR, I'm looking very hard at the EOTech and, now, the Aimpoint for just the reasons you mentioned.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm right there with both of you... I love the 'big screen' on the EOTech and have one with the .308 reticle on my MK14 Mod 0.
I'm good to go as long as I push the optic out in front of the receiver. I also use a couple of the Micro T-1 sights from Aimpoint.
These little gems are supper light and have a 3.75 MOA dot... they are great for my 7.62 AKM and .45-70 Guide Gun.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Charlie98 said:
I'm right there with you... anymore I can't focus on any type of rear sight blade so most of my rifles sport peep sights. For my new AR, I'm looking very hard at the EOTech and, now, the Aimpoint for just the reasons you mentioned.
Amen. I'd LOVE to put an EOTech on my 1895SS, but, for now (due to economics), my Tasco Pro Point will do just fine.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Personally, I prefer the Aimpoint over the EOTech, but have only used the models the army issues. I will say though, red dot to iron, the dot wins every time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts